What are we all playing this weekend?

The Internet informs me that today is Sandcastle Day, Work Like a Dog Day, Disc Golf Day, Mustard Day, Oyster Day, Mead Day, and Underwear Day. These being well-recognised days we all celebrate, we’re in for an interesting weekend. But wait, it gets better: Sunday’s festivities include International Sailor Moon Day, Psychic Day, and Friendship Day. What a weekend!

What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on.

Adam: I’m going to play Tacoma because Brendy and Pip wouldn’t stop banging on about it on the podcast and I had to pretend I knew what I was talking about. I still think they’re trying to lull me into a false sense of security by telling me the space station isn’t absolutely full to the brim with ghosts. I know a haunting when I see one.
Alec: I’m hoping to don my greasiest overalls and wade back into Car Mechanic Simulator 2018, which has been releasing roughly 18 patches per minute over the past week. Hopefully it’s much closer to ship-shape by now, and I can gladly strike out half of what I wrote about it earlier this week. Hard to say, though – on the one hand they’ve already added in a sorely-needed autosave feature. On the other hand we’ve got several poor confused lambs who saw my article crop up on the game’s Steam feed mistake us for the developers and send us emails begging for technical support.
Alice: The Edinburgh Festival Fringe began on Friday, bringing almost four thousand shows to my city – one for every 130-ish residents – for the next month. I would like to see some of them? I hardly know where to begin. And there are several side festivals and… sheesh. Plunkbat. I’m playing Plunkbat and Isaac. Plunkbat and Isaac and cussing at tourists who don’t know how to walk in cities oh my god move right now.
Brendan: I’m currently producing more snot than a bratty toddler, so I won’t be playing too much this weekend. If I’m up to it, more comfort gaming with Final Fantasy IX. Or I might just watch my girlfriend play through Tacoma while I sit in the corner sniffing pathetically.
Graham: I’ll be spending this weekend putting away the final boxes in our new home and (I hope) hanging curtains. We’re renting and it turned out the last tenants took all the curtains. You can come round my street and stare at me while I work and sleep, if you like. Also my computer is set up now, which means I might play a game. You don’t know, it could happen. I’m going to say it’ll be Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds, but if you see me playing something different while standing outside just keep it to yourself.
John: Oooooooooooh! I have a weekend! Wife and son are off to the in-laws, and I’ve the house to myself! Goodness gracious me, I can’t even begin to think what games I can play!

I’ll likely play a bunch more Tower Of Time, as I’m currently reviewing it, and it’s actually rather good. But I can also dip into my trove of unplayed Steam games and see what’s what. Maybe Tacoma? Maybe Burn It Down (that’s my top tip, btw.) Maybe Vostok Inc. WE SHALL SEE.

Philippa: This weekend I will be playing possum. I could also visit the frozen owlery. If there’s time I will try to fit in a spot of nerding out over some episodes of Holby City.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. Minglefingler says:

I should finish Ratchet and Clank this weekend provided I don’t decide to read a chapter of Ancillary Mercy because I don’t ever read just one chapter of any of the books in the Ancillary series. I’m also playing Owlboy as I had a hankering recently for a 16 bit style platformer so I bought it last night, it’s exactly what I was looking for, thoroughly enjoying it so far. I’m very tempted to pick up Tacoma as well.

• parsley says:

Ohhh, Ratchet and Clank. I always loved the chicken gun best, I think. How is Ancillary Mercy? I’ve been eyeing that series.

2. LearningToSmile says:

I’ve been playing Warframe. It’s been in the back of my mind for a while and the revisited 2017 review video that was doing the rounds made me finally give it a shot.

I think it’s lovely. The combat is a joy, art design is absolutely amazing, and there are hints of some pretty unique world building underneath it all. And the maps are just lovely, despite the procedural generation – and even though they are quite big, the movement is so fast traversing the maps is never a chore.

The downside is that it’s all rather obscure – I know where to look to find information about the game, but if I had to rely on the ingame stuff, I feel I would be quite lost. And the game has a LOT of obscure arcane mechanics and systems and so far didn’t quite bother explaining almost any of them.

3. Kitsunin says:

The Letter! As far as hidden gems (hopefully only for now) go, this is a diamond the size of your fist. It’s a Visual Novel longer than yet with almost as high production value as Danganronpa, including great voice acting…at the same time it has a substantial amount of choices, choices which often feel more meaningful than you expected and don’t do the thing every game with choice does where you feel on some level like you’re being dragged back to the same outcome the other choice would’ve had.

I am honestly having difficulty comprehending how they could’ve made this with just a $34,000 Kickstarter. It just doesn’t seem possible.

• Improper says:

I’m very tempted to buy The Letter, despite being too scaredy to play most horror games. From what I saw on streams it looks real nice, although it seems to take a *bit* too long with some character development and building tension (I like it, but it’s a shame if that puts people off).

Developer Yangyang has some mobile games as well, I guess those helped with funding a bit. Most succesful one, The Diary, is a sort of mini-prequel to Letter.

• Kitsunin says:

You should play the demo. There’s a scene really early on which is at least as scary as anything to come later (well, I’m about 3/4 of the way through it so far). I wouldn’t recommend the game to someone really wanting to get scared in fact, but it’s just a really great story with really great characters. That could change right near the end but honestly I’d be surprised.

It’s true that the overall story is very slow, but every individual chapter and character has its own smaller arc which keeps things feeling pacy despite the whole thing not being so at all. I suppose terrible endings could still ruin it but so far it’s looking like my all-time favorite visual novel.

4. Lars Westergren says:

I finished goddamn Darkest Dungeon, which was a triumph, so whatever I’m playing, I’m not playing that for the first time in months. Really good game though, but I’m full like Mr Creosote with it right now.

Finished Darkside Detective, that was nice. After a bunch of oldschool tough-as-nails games, a short and easy one that made me laugh was a nice change of pace. I might play What Remains of Edith Finch, or maybe I should finally play through Life is Strange. Or Rick & Morty, my Vive is collecting dust.

Oh, or maybe Snake Pass. Or Yoko Laylee. Or Tacoma. Or, or…

Grizzly says:

Hey! Nobody got fired this weekend!

I’ve been dipping into Stalker a lot, as said during the previous week. After pootling about in Call of Chernobyl a while I have decided to give good old Call of Pripyat a try again. There’s not really an “all inclusive” mod for Pripyat that works for me: The complete mod is considered rather buggy, the Misery mod has it’s own share of performance problems. I’ve instead decided to install the Atmosfear and Absolute Nature mods for the game, which do not change the gameplay much but do make the game so much more prettier.

Aside from that, Brigador: Up-Armored edition released a new patch for the GOG users this week. It brings with it the mighty “Citadel” tank, a few hover tanks, a sorta-racecar-with-guns, and finally something called the “Sledger”. Imagine if you put that gattling gun in a powersuit and you’re close. It’s sheer madness.

Aside from that all, I’ll probably be playing Pyre again. Strange things with Pyre: I wouldn’t be able to tell you if Pyreball is actually a good game or not. If Supergiant would release a seperate “Pyreball” game, akin to The Witcher’s Gwent, I probably wouldn’t find it much fun.

But Pyreball is formidable as a storytelling device. Because the outcome of the rites influence the story, there’s a lot more drama to the proceedings then just the mechanics alone. The stakes are high, in the sense that it influences characters that are rather lovable, and the stakes are real, in the sense that failure doesn’t mean “You are dead reload a savegame”. Any wrinkles or successes carry over: the margin of victory or defeat has an influence. How many times you face a team and with who has an influence. Sometimes, even the Titan Stars (akin to the gods and limiters in previous games) have an influence. It works really, really well as a spectator sport. Supergiant have made a tournament arc, and they’ve made it work.

And, well, it’s a Supergiant game. It’s a formidable spectacle of colour, music and text, in many ways grander then their previous games. Pyre’s framing is a more traditional “Text cards superimposed on beautiful artwork” thing, which allows their artwork to shine more then it did in Transistor. Supergiant’s trademark voice actors are back, but their characters don’t play such a pivotal role this time. In a lot of ways, Bastion and Transistor is just exposition: The narrator tells you about the things that are happening on screen or gives you hints of the world that was before. Pyre has such a character too – but he’s just a sports commentator. Pyre’s real characters are the exiles, each with their own desires, feuds and failings, and the world they lived in is not gone: It is waiting for them. All of those interacting in the Nightwings’ wagon or on the playing field, as well as the story being variable or even malleable means that the storytelling itself is a lot more dynamic then either Bastion or Transistor. Even the vocal soundtrack reacts to the forks in your particular road.

Ninja Dodo says:

This is selling me more on Pyre than anything else I’ve seen so far. Not particularly into sports games but I loved Bastion and while I initially bounced off the combat in Transistor I’ve been meaning to get back to it because I enjoyed the atmosphere. I’ve been unsure whether or not Pyre would be for me, but maybe it is.

• parsley says:

“Formidable as a storytelling device” is the most enticing verdict I’ve heard on Pyre since it came out. I’m with Ninja Dodo; I might actually have to try it now.

Godwhacker says:

I have now won two games of Plunkbat and even though it’s brilliant the shine is beginning to come off it a bit. It’s the deaths without feedback that’s doing it- you get shot from out of nowhere and you can’t even tell what you did wrong. The first person mode seems to have a bit less of that though, so I’ll probably have a few games of that

• Finstern says:

I record myself playing Plunkbat a lot, not for youtube or anything like that. But rewatching game’s it is surprising how much you miss, I’ve watched myself walk right by people who’d go on to kill me, or walk into a room that looks like great cover in the moment but looking back on it it was actually terrible…

7. Demiath says:

Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar, which was actually released yesterday. Way too many crashes to desktop for a game that’s been in “development” for 20 years, but it sure feels like the slightly embarrassing love letter to Wizardry VII that we’ve all been waiting for. All three of us, that is…

link to store.steampowered.com

• Minglefingler says:

I considered getting that but I don’t particularly want to give money to the developer who has written stuff like this: “The black panthers was entirely funded by the CIA, who invented the fake history of the transatlantic slave trade and another fake history of Africa, creating a fake African culture that never existed of fake holidays, fake dress and fake customs. The Africans are always baffled when they see this stuff and any African will tell you that American blacks are not African.”
      And this: “The real evidence says that Europeans were simply getting back what was theirs originally when they came over here, not “stealing” land from other people. This is why the Out-Of-Africa myth is spread long, long after it is obviously a bold-faced lie. You can’t find a continent on Earth where the facts don’t prove Europeans were there first. Nobody finds artifacts at 5,000 years and earlier from Africans. Anywhere.”
      Also, from what I’ve seen of the game the UI and writing seem completely awful.

• Demiath says:

From what I’ve seen so far, the writing is reasonable successful at recreating the geeky pretentiousness of Crusaders of the Dark Savant. The UI has a few neat forward-thinking touches, but is admittedly also cumbersome and unintuitive in many ways (again, much like Wizardry VII).

As for the developer’s outrageous rants, well, I just can’t take any of it at face value…

• BajiNaji says:

Thanks for posting that. The game was on my radar – no longer.

• Themadcow says:

Cleve is an odd character- no doubt. He has a nuclear bunker and claims to have developed superior Neanderthal DNA from a chemical accident. Take from that what you will, but having played around 6 hours today I can’t deny it doesn’t deserve a place alongside the classic Wiz, M&M and BT games.

The writing is fine – strong even, but the mechanics are extremely harsh in places (e.g. if you get diseased early on and don’t known the item to cure it then that character is basically dead).

Ninja Dodo says:

I’m playing Papy & Yo, which I’d been meaning to try for a while.

Undecided how I feel about it. The platforming is rough around the edges and the puzzles do not seem terribly involved (so far) kind of going through the motions, but the aesthetic is really charming, a kind of dream-like magical alternate favela, the giant frogs and the wonderful music… The much-talked-about monster as metaphor for alcoholic father is interesting (the large creature goes from harmless and docile to rampaging aggression upon eating frogs). The actual mechanics don’t really do anything novel though. I groaned inwardly when I found out the game has a double jump because of course it does. Nothing against that per se but it’s a shame that’s just a thing every third-person platform/action game has to have by default (whether it makes sense or not).

Also thinking of starting Kentucky Route Zero.

Ninja Dodo says:

Correction: Papo & Yo

subdog says:

It’s definitely a game I appreciated more for its artful handling of deeply personal themes and the novelty of playing something from a culturally underrepresented segment of the gaming world.

Ninja Dodo says:

Yeah, aesthetically and thematically it’s really something. Finished it now. The puzzles and level design get *weirder* in a good way. Reminds me a bit of American McGee’s Alice (sans the combat) in its otherworldliness.. The mechanics do sometimes get in the way of what the game is trying to do (platforming frustrations, puzzles that are too obvious, or ones that are not obvious at all), but the way it treats its difficult subject matter is worthy of admiration and it’s very much worth playing.

• parsley says:

I ended up grinding to a frustrated halt with the platforming mechanics, but I did like the world-building and concept. I’ll go check it out again.

9. Spacewalk says:

Finishing up GMDX. I made it!

• Kaeoschassis says:

Finished my first run on normal difficulty a few days ago (was going to go straight to realistic but chickened out at the last minute. Kind of glad I did). Loved very nearly every second of it. I never would have thought it could actually nail the “the same but different” feel as well as it does. It’s a beautiful thing to go through familiar levels and still be surprised. It feels tense and challenging but at the same time it allows you to feel more confident in your tools and powers. Brilliant, brilliant stuff.

Am now about two missions in on Hardcore mode and boy is it well named.

10. Fomorian1988 says:

Nothing new – I’ve recently read a bunch of good stuff about LISA, so I’ll be playing that, in-between watching the new season of Voltron and small expeditions in Sunless Sea, which I intend to explore to the fullest possible extent before Sunless Skies enters and leaves Early Access.

• Javier says:

LISA was an amazing surprise. One of the best games I’ve played this gen. And one of my favorites ever. Who could have guessed I’d end up falling this hard for a game made with RPG Maker…

• pasports31 says:

I thought Lisa was fantastic. It would be my favorite game this year I’ve played, but I’ve also played Breath of the Wild and am in the middle of The Witcher 3. Personally in terms of Earthbound influenced games, I enjoyed it a lot more than I did Undertale. The game is interesting because the humor is consistently fairly hilarious, but there’s also a lot of pretty dark stuff in it. In terms of the relative amount of attention and critical acclaim its gotten, I think it’s one of the more underrated games out there.

• parsley says:

I’ve been on the fence about LISA for an age. On the one hand, I love story-based games, and this is supposed to be one of the more compelling ones. On the other, it’s supposed to be very dark. Is it dark like Darkest Dungeon is dark (yay!), or is it darker than that?

Also — the new season of Voltron is out? I might have to put gaming on pause, then.

11. golem09 says:

Nobody is playing Path of Exile? Sad!

DelrueOfDetroit says:

If you only had waited 42 minutes….

• malkav11 says:

Last I heard there were gigantic queues and crashes sending one back to the end of said gigantic queues. So I don’t think it’s so much sad as prudent.

• golem09 says:

That was the situation in the first two hours after the launch of 3.0. Since then I had no problems whatsoever.

• Ghostwise says:

I am indeed playing lots of PoE this week end, but… why are you speaking like Donald Trump ?

12. NightRaven says:

I’ll probably be playing Diablo 3 Seasonal (first time playing seasonal after years of avoiding it). I’m also probably going to play a bit of Cook, Serve, Delicious, Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles. Will have to wait and see though.

13. Hunchback says:

It’s the newest PoE expansion release-weekend…

Iamblichos says:

I’m still stuck back on the newly-modded Fallout 4, which is somewhat shameful to admit, but there it is. I also tried Slime Rancher for about an hour. I really wanted to like it, but I don’t get it on some visceral level. All the bits and bobs are there, but they don’t assemble into a game that speaks to me; it just lies there looking vaguely expectant in an unassembled bits sort of way. What do?

• Antongranis says:

Why would you be ashamed?

• dangermouse76 says:

I only just realised you could save at the exit to the vault and used that save to create new characters and builds. 510 hours dear God.

I am playing an unarmed Skyrim run as a khajiit trader gone all William Foster from Falling down on the world around me. With Fists of steel Fisty McFistason is surprisingly strong. I’m level 7 and can already massacre most humans and animals.

Mages are a bit of an issue, so I am building up my health and heavy armour to counter their spells. The game could have done with an unarmed tree. I am aware there is one on the nexus but I have decided to eschew that aiming for closer to vanilla feel.

15. gabrielonuris says:

Shadowrun Hong Kong, maybe I’ll finish the main campaign this weekend.

Between runs, the endless text walls and NPCs personal lives exposition I’ll be replaying Blood, just to feel good killing those cultists.

In marana domus-bhaava crunatus!!!

16. PC Gamer Girl says:

I’ll probably be playing the rest of The Fidelio Project. Very well-made indie horror game. Based on Beethoven’s only opera, Fidelio! Everything about the game has drawn me into it, and I can’t wait to see how it ends. Once that’s done… I’ll probably dive head-first into The Long Dark.

john_silence says:

Wishlisted! For those searching Steam, it’s the Fidelio Incident, not Project. Thanks for the tip, good Sir!

17. Hoot says:

After finishing The Witcher 3 a couple weeks ago I decided to reload a save somewhat late in the game (but before you’re end-game a-go-go) and do the Hearts of Stone expansion then finish the main game again to get a slightly better ending. Hearts of Stone was a treat, never expected the main narrative arc of the expansion to be so good, but it was.

So as soon as I wrap up the main game of TW3 (again) I’m taking a break before starting Blood and Wine to bang out some Rimworld, Quake Champions / Overwatch if I can be arsed, always a few rounds of Battlerite and maybe start Prey.

GornValim says:

I’ll probably continue my second playthrough of Secret World Legends. I was forced to start over because of the relaunch, and I find the new combat system far less interesting than the infamous and over-complicated (but very intriguing and fun to tinker with) ability wheel. However the graphical improvements and the wonderful quests and story and universe are worth this second dive. I’m looking forward to get to the point I was before the relaunch.

Last week I bought The Division, and I’m enjoying it so far. I wasn’t impressed by my first steps in the game during a free weekend, but I couldn’t resist buying it nonetheless. I don’t know why, something attracts me in that game. Certainly not the script nor the “Tom Clancy” vibes (yuck), but maybe the apocalyptic atmosphere or the slick gameplay or the way multiplayer works. I’m taking my time exploring New York under the snow and the flu, with the occasional gunfight, slowly discovering the game and its systems.

And I have a very old game of Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds to resurrect, in my personal crusade to dust off and finish all the games I have currently installed (all seventy-nine of them).

• malkav11 says:

Graphical improvements? I don’t think they changed anything in the engine – I certainly didn’t notice anything – but I could be wrong. It remains a great game worth visiting despite being a little the worse for wear in the F2P transition, and there’s a Whispering Tide event through the 15th that probably won’t be repeated (the original game’s version never was) leading to the re-release of the first part of Tokyo, so it’s a good time to get stuck in!

GornValim says:

They definitely did something with the lighting at least. Nothing jarring, and I didn’t notice anything at first, but when I launched the old game for the last time (I wanted to drive my former character back home in London rather than abandon him in the middle of New England :) ), I could see the difference.

19. Boult Upright says:

I made a plan on 1 August to restart and only play The Witcher III and DLC’s to the end. I am happy to say that I’ve stuck to it for five days, exploring every nook and cranny of White Orchard and now getting beaten up (or running like a non-witcher) way too often in Velen.

It’s a good game – have you heard of it?

Ninja Dodo says:

I hear there are quests and monsters.

• Hoot says:

It took me about 80 hours for the main game doing pretty much every quest. About 12 hours for Hearts of Stone. Annnnd I’m giving it a break before I start Blood and Wine.

20. buttermancan says:

I’m going to play some exciting Titanfall 2 followed by some retro stuff. Still got to complete the original Super Mario bros and really fancy completing Prince of Persia on the snes

21. N'Al says:

Finally completed Resident Evil Zero. Think I’m going to check out the additional modes (Leech Hunter, Wesker Mode) later. I love how a lot of these games dole out additional items and modes after you’ve completed the story – makes subsequent playthroughs so much more interesting, imo.

22. fiendling says:

I have finally stopped dithering and bought Prey this morning.

So… I will be playing some Shadow Tactics. No, just kidding, I’ll be playing Prey of course.

23. Ztox says:

Foxhole, Foxhole, Foxhole… And more Foxhole. Incredible game, I’m in love.

• The Bitcher III says:

Foxhole is scarily close to my ‘dream game’ pitch.

As such, I’m holding off. I can’t bear the thought of bouncing off it. If the manifestations of our dreams don’t satisfy us, what then?

• Ztox says:

Yea the game is a bit of a dream come true for me too, I just couldn’t resist lol. There are so many little details/touches that are exactly how I would’ve hoped and a surprising amount of realism elements. I’m surprised I’d completely missed it before EA but not overly disappointed as I would’ve been more likely to bounce off it than now I imagine.

Despite reading/watching a lot of things about the game before hand I still ended up rather lost for the first 2/3 hours and that made me feel a bit meh tbh and I hope this doesn’t put others off. I stuck with it (I was always going to because of my determination to love it) and now I think it’s my GOTY quite comfortably. When it all comes together it’s incredible and even when it doesn’t I’ve had so many awesome/hilarious moments already and the fact that it’s all a completely player-driven sandbox makes it all the more impressive.

I completely understand your reasoning for avoiding it for now and if you stick with that, fair play to you but if you think it’s your dream game, I’d be very surprised if it doesn’t delight now ;D

24. fish99 says:

Hopefully I’ll be playing more Destiny this weekend. I say hopefully because I randomly started playing Dark Souls III last night, taking my 2nd character (an axe-wielding Pyro) through the first DLC and reaching Sister Friede. I kinda doubt whether I can actually hit her with pyromancies, but the axe does good damage too.

Loving Destiny though as a fresh player. I dunno if the game has been hugely improved since launch – the mediocre reviews seem baffling when the game is so fun and pretty. It has some of the best realized sci-fi environments, and satisfying halo-esque gunplay. The game is structured very well too, with the hubs, communal open maps and the more linear mission areas. The awesome music doesn’t hurt either.

Also meaning to check out POE. I played the first act long ago, liked it, but decided to wait for more content.

• Unsheep says:

Destiny was quite dry when it first launched, but the developers addressed the issues and today it’s a fun game. It’s still rather grindy, but it IS an MMO at the core.

Most reviewers at the time also did not understand what kind of game it was, which is to be expected given their narrow experience with games. They were expecting something much closer to classic Halo.

I completely agree, Destiny has one of the most unique and well-designed game-worlds in modern gaming. It’s a shame it never gets mentioned or appreciated by “the media people”.

25. freedomispopular says:

After having it sit in my library for like 5 years, I’m finally playing through Bastion. Fun little game. I’m looking to start whittling down my backlog, but after that I’ll probably just play more Rocket League. Seems to be the one game I’ve ever played that never gets old for me.

26. Zenicetus says:

Taking a gander at Tower of Time, and then probably some more TW Warhammer with the vampires.

27. geldonyetich says:

Having received an Oculus last week, the weekend is quite the brave new world of head-tracking, larger-than-me polygonal immersion. That said, I think I’ll still make time to log into The Secret World: Legends to complete my dailies.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

ItI am still playing through Breath of the Wild. Finished two of the Divine Beasts so far but still having a great time with it. It’s amazing how varied those shrines can be. The other day I did one where you had to fire arrows at orbs on conveyor belts. Watching those orbs spin out and land where you want them was so incredibly satisfying.

Haven’t played much Splatoon 2 this week because BotW won’t let me and because these days I am playing games outside (yay Switch!) and can’t get a WiFi signal where I usually like to sit. Only at level 7 so far in the online. The single player is really good though too! Never knew how much I wanted to play a 3D platformer until I realized I was playing a very good one.

Also have the nephews coming over for a bit later tonight so I will be watching them play Dragon Quest Builders.

29. Ben King says:

I’m trying some of The Long Dark’s story mode, but am having a hard time getting used to the change of pace not having an established set of home bases to loop through trapping. The story is nothing to hold your breath over yet either, and I constantly find myself worried that The PC will freeze or starve during a cutscene. They don’t, but it still freaks me out. Hopefully spectating my GF playing Horizon Zero Dawn, and some community garden work, then baking for Game of Thrones guests tomorrow.

30. AutonomyLost says:

Mostly Forza Horizon 3 for me.

31. edwardoka says:

I have succumbed to the siren call of the Batting of the Plunks, but alas, am not very good at it. Finished #17 and got a clean kill in my first solo game but haven’t come close to regaining such giddy heights.

subdog says:

I’ve avoided strategy games for a few years, just haven’t had the time. But Offworld Trading Company just unlocked yesterday in the Humble Monthly, and it’s pretty wonderful. I expected it to be dry and lifeless, driven only by its systems and numbers. Instead, it’s got a lot of personality to go along with its systems of addictive progression.

It makes sense that this would be the game to draw me back into the genre, since the last strategy game to do so was Civ 4. Soren Johnson deserves more credit than he gets.

33. malkav11 says:

Plenty of Secret World Legends and Final Fantasy XIV, I expect. SWL’s got a one time event ongoing with cosmetic rewards (albeit for a not very fun public raid boss, but oh well, it’s doable), and then I am continuing to work on the main story quest in FFXIV, still at a point well behind my actual level. But at least I have a chocobo now.

I’d also like to play What Remains of Edith Finch, which I picked up in a daily deal earlier this week, Prey, which I got back to briefly last weekend and discovered the unwinnable fight I’d been stymied on vanished completely after taking a detour to try and secure a better weapon. No idea what’s going on there. And finally, Nier: Automata. I’ve progressed the story a bit more but there’s a sidequest about racing a robot that I am frustrated by and don’t know if I am actually equipped to do at present, yet which apparently goes away entirely if I don’t do it before a certain point in the story. And not wanting to spoil said story, I have no idea when that might be or how much I can afford to do before trying again. It’s probably not even particularly important to do, but I have completionist tendencies and I don’t know whether it counts towards some achievement or larger reward. Argh.

particlese says:

Having burnt out on ESO at the same time as my gaming buddy, we have both started exploring our backlogs – lots of multiplayer and story-centric games for him; a metric ton of single-player indie games for me.

So far, I bounced hard off several I’ve already forgotten and bounced semi-hard off of Crypt of the Necrodancer. I’m not much into rogue* games, but I’m very keen on seeing games properly deal with rhythm, especially after watching Baby Driver last week. (I’d better not get me started on my love of that film…) Necrodancer left me feeling well annoyed, but also like I need to get used to the attack and dodge patterns before I give it a final verdict.

Then I played Dead Cells, and three hours passed before I seriously considered stopping. So much for not liking roguethings! I’d read an RPS article on it probably because of the art and a mention of “Metroidvania”, and I’d read kind and interesting words about it from the squeaky clean and the great unwashed both here and in other parishes, and something somewhere made me buy it straight up instead of dumping it in wishlist purgatory. Not knowing what I was in for these couple of months later, I installed and started up the game Friday night during my “freedom from the great MMO time sink” spree, discovered it was a roguethingy and was not thrilled, and then proceeded to be exquisitely thrilled for the next few hours. It just feels fantastic to play (nearly Ori grade, to my mind), and it strikes a perfect balance between making me play carefully (yet not painfully so) and letting me make permanent, tangible progress. I have this weird feeling it might become my new Devil Daggers. In addition to Devil Daggers, of course.

35. SabreCat says:

Path of Exile. More and more Path of Exile!

36. Unsheep says:

Microsoft Flight Simulator X. Bought a HOTAS-set recently, after previously using keyboard & gamepad. Using two controllers makes the game more difficult, but also more fun. Most gamers seem to prefer the big jet planes, but I’m enjoying the helicopters and smaller planes the most.

X-Rebirth (GOG version). After feeling disappointed with Elite Dangerous I decided to play an X game, and I haven’t played Rebirth yet. I’m enjoying it much more than Elite. My problem with Elite is that it feels far too bland, both the gameplay and the game-World. Imagine playing Euro Truck but with the exact same scenerey no matter where you go in the map.

Not sure what else I have time for, maybe F1 2016, Automobilista, or MXGP 3.

37. Blackcompany says:

Netflix, mingled with little bits of Hearthstone. Maybe a bit of ETS2/ATS.

Finally, really making my peace with modern games just no longer being my thing. I’m tired of running around wide but shallow open worlds, watching numbers go up and collecting useless junk for the sake of a story not even half as good as one of the books I am also reading. I’m tired of awful writing, terrible pacing, shallow characters and 20 year old mechanics. I just…cant be bothered anymore.

And that’s fine. Plenty of other fine things to do.

38. FelipeCC says:

Banging Nioh since I finished Horizon: Zero Dawn
    Horizon was g r e a t, Far Cry’s formula at its prime
    Nioh is g r e a t, Dark Souls’ formula at its prime
    And of course, some Rainbow Six on PC with da crew

39. caff says:

Playerunknown Battlegrounds for me. I’ve gone from feeling ambivalent about it, to becoming utterly obsessed with it.

40. and its man says:

Back to Rain World.
    It’s exhausting. I feel like I’ve been fighting Jet Set Willy and Cauldron 2 at the same time.

41. parsley says:

I ended up picking up Hollow Knight in the Steam sale. I didn’t click with it the first time — the convoluted maps were bugging me. (Eh? Ehh?) But it’s growing on me.

GOG also has a sale on Tacoma, so I purchased that, but I haven’t tried it yet.