Wage spacewar in Interplanetary: Enhanced Edition

interplanetary enhanced

Remember Interplanetary? You know, the 2015 strategy game about building a base and blowing up other planets. Its hook was that gravity played a huge part: to land your shots you had to take into account the gravitational pull of other planets in the area, which was pretty novel. Well, now there’s an Enhanced Edition [official site] that squishes bugs, revamps the visuals and delivers a cargo hold of gameplay tweaks. It’s free for people who own the original.

You can now reconnect to online matches if you disconnect and fight against online AI bots (in case you can’t find anybody to play with online), which were apparently two of the most requested features. Almost all of the game’s systems have been tweaked, with new weapons, an overhauled tech tree, and new building mechanics (shift click to build multiple of the same building). It should all make the game slicker to play. You can read all the changes in detail here.

I never played the original but I’ve heard good things about it, and the Steam reviews are positive as well. Here’s the trailer for the new version:

Unfortunately, in the process of killing the old bugs, new ones have spawned, so don’t expect it to be fully polished.

“We’re already hammering away at some upcoming fixes and we’re prepared to keep working at it for as long as we can. Please bear with us through the initial roughness.”

If you own the original then the new edition should have popped up in your library automatically. Otherwise, it’s £7.69/10,49€/$10.49 on Steam, which includes a 30% discount that goes on until Wednesday.

Those that have played the original – how did you get on with it?

1. Eawyne says:

How sad this only exists on Steam.

Drib says:

Why is it sad that it ‘only’ exists on the largest game distribution platform? Because steam has some DRM?

Nauallis says:

Because, as you so eloquently put it on the other article, it’s fun to get irrationally angry about things that do not matter.

2. bills6693 says:

It’s a great game which shines in multiplayer, especially with friends in my opinion (although with friends is usually better in most cases). The mechanics are not too complicated to learn but there is a multitude of different tactics and choices to make, from what kind of weapons to focus on, and the required support structure for that, countering the strategy of opponents and predicting their next moves, and then the ever-fun firing of the weapons to curve around the solar system into another planet.

The ‘Enhanced Edition’ is awesome. The game generally plays a bit slicker and a lot of user-friendly additions have been made, especially to research and the UI. The visuals have been slightly improved, and it is especially fun to be able to be zoomed in on a planet while it is being bombarded and watching the kinetic strikes every so often. More weapons, buildings and game options add even more layers to the game, and the ability to have AI players mixed in with multiple humans in an online match is a great addition.

Be warned though, while a human will generally hit with maybe 60-80% of their shots, the AI will hit almost 100% of the time including some absolutely ridiculous trick shots slinging round multiple planets before hitting the target or arching far out of the system and back in, its a bit ridiculous, though impressive to see.

• Baines says:

I figured the AI would have the same trick shot pinpoint accuracy issue that Worms has.

3. MrPete says:

It’s possible though hard to do these trick shots.
    Even with a squishy meat brain you can train to guesstimate the correct angle and power to arc a shot around a planet, skirt past the sun and slam into your target from a direction that’s hard to predict.
    And if your mind is a processor that’s far better at handling numbers…

• poliovaccine says:

See, I wish AI were more often “realistic” to the point of being “human.” Which reminds me of a system I’ve fantasized about for awhile now, and which I’d love to see become a staple of strategy games in general…

Like, yknow how you describe that process of anticipating and guesstimating trajectories to effectively land your shot? I got to a point with the similar-sounding gravity system in The Long Journey Home where I could maneuver it, not “expertly,” but reliably enough that I felt like I’d “got the hang of it.”

I went and played something else for a minute and when I came back I was even worse at it than when I’d first started! – likely because the first time, I hadnt heard how notoriously difficult it was, so I entered the game without psyching myself up about it, in proper zen fashion. But by the time I was reloading an old save, I absolutely *did* know how tricky that gravity mechanic was – I had learned for myself, questioned how much that was just me, and then seen it confirmed online that, yeah, no, it totally wasn’t just me, it was just dick-hard, that’s all – and I swear just the flappy panic of the initial few gaffes before I found my footing, combined with my foreknowledge/anxiety of the difficulty ahead, meant I never actually found my footing haha… not that time, anyway. In true zen fashion, I had to turn it off and come back to it later (even if it was less-than-zen how I basically ragequit) before I could hit that magic groove again.

Athletes call it “the zone,” and we musicians have several terms for it which are all less gatorade-commercial than that while still being equally goofy, but we all know what it looks like. When you see it in a twitchy-eyed guru of some bullet-hell/twin-stick shooter who is just totally plugged in, dancing and dashing and killing in this autonomic ballet, this sensory gestalt of unblinking, unthinking, preternatural anticipation of the movements on the field, inhabiting this near-psychic state of mind-to-muscle coordination wherein player and game are one, you see what the military is looking to exploit in creating videogame training simulations. You also see why videogames can sometimes be a damned effective replacement for drugs. It’s cus that shit is just undeniably *sweet.* And with practice, the human meat can absolutely be slapped and firmed into all the grim, unyielding efficiency of the machine that it is… beneath all that gross, sticky “humanity” anyway.

Thing is, AI has that going on *all the time.* It’s always “there,” it’s always “locked in.” It never needs to “warm up.” This is the mechanic I’m talking about, though: if it were really going to be an accurate representation of a player, it should be subject to those same hand-eye shortcomings and panicky, overcompensatory times when it intends to do a fancy round-the-world trick shot but instead, due to its aspect of simulated humanity, it totally pulls a boner. It should have to suffer through a learning curve which, at least initially, artificially dulls it to the degree of an ordinary, dullard human being. I’m saying: it should have *stress.*

It could be allowed to learn, sure, but I’m not just talking about slapping it with an initial stats handicap to give the human player(s) time to get their shit together in some artificial, cheap-ass kinda way… I mean, wouldnt it be cool if *stress* was actually simulated in AI opponents, and, as with human opponents, could be a broad variable in terms of how much or little they can effectively handle..?? Like, say, a largely unflappable AI will continue making sharp decisions even as its capital is under siege, but in another match, when the AI stumbles upon one of your scouting vessels and detours a crucial supply caravan just to have the caravan’s military entourage engage your scout, then right away you learn *that* AI in particular is more rash and reactionary, less inclined to weigh potential consequences before diving into action, more easily distracted and diverted – and knowing the differences between the two types would matter to your future tactics either way. Also, the AI would have dynamically-variable requirements for it to get into its own “zone.” Fucking with it would destabilize it, just like quite naturally happens to you. In a human player, there’s no need to simulate stress when your precious stability gets suddenly fucked with.

What would make the “stress” thing differ from the Civ games (tho correct me if I’m wrong, as the latest one I played I think was CivIII or IV, so this kinda stuff may well have been added since then) would be that it’s a varying, changing thing, and that each AI has its own stress conditions – as in, they value some things more than others, whether they be certain units or structures being intact, or having a certain amount of a resource to maintain their monopoly, or etc, etc. They would also have degrees of priority to the various things they could stress over.

As I remember the Civ games I played, the various AI had personalities, but they were pretty much fixed priority sets. Stress would give a way to dynamically change your opponents’ priorities. You could even lull a pacifistic and/or civic-minded opponent into a false sense of security by letting their stress dwindle *low,* to the point where they are indulging their wishful thinking and tying up resources in projects for the humanities and the arts, in pursuit of some fruity, pff, “utopia,” only to validate every warhawk conservative in the world who ever wanted to cut school music programs while raising military spending when you take that false, socialist-artist’s utopia and shoot it to ribbons, like peaceful, altruistic fish in a barrel! Eeeyyyeah-heah! Teach you to lay down your arms, haww!

Anyway, you see what I mean, right? Some aspect of simulated humanity to make AI equally prone to error might not only make for a cool strategy game mechanic, but may also one day save our species in the face of a global robot apocalypse.

Has that ever been done in other games before, or something like it? In spite of the relative complexity of, yknow, human psychology, I feel like a decent simulacrum of stress could be fairly “easily” rendered out of many of the conditions and stats which factor into the AI’s decision-making already.

Aerothorn says:

Intergalactic, planetary, planetary intergalactic?