Death Road to Canada gets bigger and weirder

Even more odd characters and unlikely shenanigans await players along the Death Road to Canada [official site] following the launch of its big birthday update. The ‘Duodenum’ update brings features including new recruitable characters like the totally mega Giga Guy, new buildings, the ability to barricade doors, new music, darker nights and lights to fight ’em, dozens of new weapons, Swole Mountain, and ghost friends. That’s certainly what I’d expect to find on a procedurally-generated action-RPG road trip through the zombie apocalypse towards the promised land of Canada. Here, see some of the new bits in this trailer:

Hit the patch notes for full details on everything added. Well, full-ish. They don’t explain what Swole Mountain is or how to kiss ghosts – two mysteries I intend to investigate.

Death Road to Canada is my favourite of the recent Oregon Trail ’em ups. Adding actual top-down exploration and combat sections makes it less formulaic, and it has just enough weird and silly things for some great adventures. I know Graham is a fan too.

Rocketcat Games say that “The next year of updates will focus more on content than new systems” and that they “still have some big new features/systems we want to attempt.”

They intended to start prototyping for new games too. They note that “there will be a lot of back and forth” between prototypes and Death Road, so “a system in a prototype may get in Death Road, a system in Death Road update may be used in a future game.” Mysterious!

Back in the present, Death Road to Canada is on sale. A 34% discount brings it to £7.46/10,04€/$10.04 on Steam. The game’s sold on DRM-free GOG too but isn’t on sale there.

laiwm says:

What’s this like to play these days? I’m a backer, and I played a build about a year ago which was fun *until* the inevitable point in each playthrough where the game would dump me inside a procedurally generated warehouse full of zombies with no clues as to where the nearest exit was, and I’d just bash my way through 10 or 20 rooms before dying and having to start a new game.

• Hatman says:

Better, but this still happens. I got to the final series of sieges once and it can fuck right off, no idea how that’s supposed to be beatable. I guess it’s about the journey instead of the destination but it does put me off playing a bit.

laiwm says:

Urgh, that’s not encouraging. It wouldn’t be so bad if the game had told me I was e.g. on room 9 of 10 and I’d nearly made it out, but I felt like I was just trying to roll a 6 to escape every time I went through a door but never managed it. It’s a zombie game so getting lost and having to fight through a horde of zombies makes sense, but the way the mechanic is implemented is really frustrating.

Siege defense sounds more fun, I’m not sure if that was in the game when I last checked it out – will give it another go!

• and its man says:

Yep, that last, 4 hours long city siege is intense.
        I play with my wife and we succeed most of the times, making the zombies chase us by running in large circles around the map. Better keep the herd behind you…

We also try to stay away from those ‘death-trap’ houses. Unless we’re desperate for ammo, we don’t even get in.
        And everything’s easier with a chainsaw at hand. Earlier in the game, we always pick the neighbourhoods with a hardware store.

And well, switching off the game’s music and playing to a doom/stoner rock or garagey/krautrock playlist DID help us a lot. I swear I’m better at trimming zombies when listening to Sleep’s Jerusalem.

• Beefsurgeon says:

I’ve only been able to beat the final stages as a dog. Dogs do a good job of herding zombies and can easily outrun them. Huh…

• Legotalk says:

I’ve been playing since about a month ago and I’ve only had that problem a few times, when playing with lousy characters. Other than that, I’ve managed to finish the game once, and I usually get pretty far. It’s definitely worth trying again, imo.

2. Pogs says:

There was a program about Silicon Valley on the BBC yesterday. Some ex-Facepalm guy was creating his apocalypse survival Teepee on the border of Canada so he could bolt there if necessary come the break down of society caused by all the disruptor techs. Apparently a lot of the other tech visionaries are doing the same so he says!

So it seems Canada IS the place to go to escape zombies, out of control trucks driven by AI mowing us all down or annoyed out of work Americans with assault rifles.

• upupup says:

I wouldn’t take those people seriously, though. Their delusions of comfortably surviving a total, worldwide societal breakdown in the face of apocalyptic catastrophes are being fed by the people profiting from it and not realistic. They might as well try and escape to the moon.

…Which is what the next game in the series, “Shuttle of Death, a Space Escape”, will be about. Zombie astronauts.

teije says:

That’s a stupid plan. Speaking as a Canadian, Canada is so integrated with the US economically and geopolitically, that if it collapses, we’d be overrun with refugees and similarly collapse. The longest undefended border in the world and all that.

3. caff says:

Good to see they are still releasing content for this. Awesome gem of a game I’ve sunk many a happy hour into playing. I’d never have found out about it if it weren’t for lovely RPS.