Sinister text-based hack-o-story Code 7 out soon

code7rel

Floppy drives ready. The first episode of creepy hacking-based interactive fiction Code 7 [official site] is due out on Friday. It’s that game about a suspicious AI and the collapse of a space station, you know the one. Oh, yes I see the problem here. Okay, it’s got sci-fi horror vibes and proper voice acting, remember? You type things like “robot.override” into the terminal and pray that bad things don’t happen. But obviously, they do. Remember? Yeah, well, the first of its five-part story is coming out August 11. You can peep at the trailer below to see what it looks like to be frightened and stuck inside an MS-DOS screen of the future.

You play as agent Alex who is helping another agent, Sam, to uncover the reasons behind this station’s collapse and stop the bad robots from hurting more people. But there’s also some mysterious “third force” at work. The episodic decision-making will have consequences too, say developers Goodwolf Studio:

Broken into multiple instalments, each episode will introduce a new character (or characters) whom Alex will have to work with, together, as a team. You will have to make important decisions that will influence their course in the story and define their relationship with you in the final episode (provided, that is, they survive…).

You can still download and play the prologue for free, which Konstantinos said he liked a lot, at least until a particularly annoying hacking challenge (a “spot-the-flashing-letter and guess-the-word mini game”) forced him to shelve it. Hopefully, that’s been worked on a little. I’m a fan of the ol’ hacking genre, and this has a definite Duskers-on-rails vibe.

1. ideamonster says:

Hello Brendan!
    Thank you for writing about our game :)
    You can rest assure, we have reworked the entire Prologue (the one Konstantinos played) from scratch and ditched the old hacking game. It got replaced with a new, more strategic one, among other tweaks!
    I hope you’ll like it!

Cheers,
    Zein from Goodwolf Studio

• Kefren says:

It looks interesting. Will it come out on GOG too? Ta!

• Zein says:

Thank you! We’ve been talking to GOG, but in the end they decided not to publish it there. It’s coming to Humble Store, though: link to humblebundle.com

• Kefren says:

Thanks for replying! No problem. If ever it does go to GOG I’m sure I’ll buy it (ideally once it’s complete).

• cpt_freakout says:

Looks pretty cool! Sometimes I wonder if GOG’s curatorial approach is a tad restricted. Anyway, congrats on the release soon!

• Zein says:

Thank you! :)
            Yeah, I don’t know what GOG’s criterias are. If I remember correctly, they approached us in the first place.
            Well, somebody created a wishlist there. So if you want to see it come to GOG, you can vote for it here: link to gog.com

Cheers,
            Zein

2. sdfv says:

I feel like they destroyed their possible sales by calling it a text adventure. Call it a “next-gen hacking game” instead and talk about your excellent story, but don’t call it a text adventure, even if the two things are very similar.

• Zein says:

Actually, we’re calling it a “text-based hacking adventure” :)
      We’ve played around with terminology the last two years during development and believe this worked best so far. But there are a lot of people who love text adventures and want to see them evolve, so that’s why we use that term once in a while, as well.

• thelastpointer says:

Well, I wasn’t too interested after reading the description, but the trailer just blew me away.

• Zein says:

I appreciate the honest feedback and I’m happy that you liked the trailer! In general, it’s not easy to describe what the game is about just in text, even if we avoid the term “text adventure” and trust me we have tried many pitches over the last two years ;)
        This is why we offer the entire Episode 0 for free, so that people can see for themselves what Code 7 has to offer.

3. Risingson says:

I think it’s the word “adventure”, and I think it has more to do with the not so numerous adventure-hater-obsessing crowd loudly demonising anything related to the genre to actual numbers of people fleeing from the concept