LawBreakers begins to put some action in your life

Even scientists concede that their Law of Gravity is only a ‘theory’ — i.e. total tosh Newton made up as an excuse for why he was napping on the job — so to heck with it, gravity be darned. I plan to cut off the heavy soles of my feet so I can fly but I suppose the more squeamish among you might be content with playing LawBreakers [official site]. Released overnight, it’s a competitive first-person arena shooter where gravity doesn’t work the way scientific bods might pretend, letting us soar, swing, and whoosh around. It’s also the first game from the new studio of Cliff Bleszinski, formerly a big man around Unreal Tournament and Gears of War studio Epic Games.

So it’s an objective-driven arena FPS, right? You and a load of other people whizz around shooting each other’s skins off, trying to hold areas and captures points and whatnot in different modes. But gravity in levels is wonked (because the moon exploded, yeah?) so there are zones where players can take off, fly around, swing, whoosh, and generally tell the bods to go suck an egg. It’s also class-based, giving different folks different items and abilities.

If you played LawBreakers during the open beta tests (or since), what do you make of it? I had planned to play in a beta weekend but it takes a lot to make me play an FPS other than Plunkbat. I’ve let you all down.

Post-launch update plans include new maps, modes, and characters classes – which will be free. On the paid DLC front, Boss Key already sell a pack of ghastly new outfits for the ha-ha-hilariously xtreme ’90s characters.

LawBreakers costs £24.99/29,99€/$29.99 on Steam. Yup, it was originally planned to be free-to-play but that changed long ago.

Since the launch trailer sucks, here’s noted face-shooting YouTuber ‘jackfrags’ gabbing about playing the beta:

Godwhacker says:

Rather bad case of YouTube Review Voice in that video

2. Freud says:

Looking good. Hoping for their sake that Overwatch isn’t like a giant amoeba sucking up all shooter players.

3. Bobtree says:

I had a great time with the betas but didn’t have the energy to play more than 6 hours and don’t intend to pick it up right away. It will probably be very niche, due to the speed and high skill cap, but I hope it finds an audience. They should release a limited demo or F2P version, because it really is fun and more people need to try it.

4. LearningToSmile says:

It’s fun, it’s fast, and it’s got high skill cap, so it should be everything I’m looking for a shooter – but I have almost no hope of the game attracting a sustainable playerbase, and I’m not charitable enough to gamble $30 on it. Self-fulfilling prophecy, I know, but the fast pace and objective-based gameplay makes good matchmaking an absolute necessity or else the games will be one-sided stomps.

Also though the visuals are polished, the characters feel generic while the maps are too busy for the frantic pace. I’d much prefer a simpler, more distinct art style, though I guess it will be the opposite for people who think something like Overwatch is too cartoony.

• Hoot says:

Quake Champions is the answer you’re looking for, being free and all. I tried the Lawbreakers beta and I was most unimpressed. Felt as generic as games get, might as well have called it “Online Team Shooter 46”.

For me if I want a team shooter, I’m gonna play Overwatch, if I want a tactical shooter, CS:GO is still the go-to game and if I want a old skool high skill ceiling fragfest, then Quake Champions fits the bill.

• Unclepauly says:

Then go play OW? CS:GO isn’t tactical, and Quake champions only has half the skill cap of LawBreakers. Sorry but stale friend.

• PiiSmith says:

I am with him. Quake Champions plays and feels better as the faster shooter. Lawbreakers straddles this middle ground between team/objective based shooters and fast frag fests.

For my team based experience I am currently as I can’t play Overwatch more than two games and and not start to rage. At the moment Paladins is filling this niche. But I am looking for something different.

For the faster fare I also enjoy Quake Champions more.

So Lawbreakers is a pass. I also do not like the art, especially in the menus. This is too much clutter for me.

• Hoot says:

If by half you mean double the skillcap, then you’re right. As for CS:GO not being tactical…you lost any credibility you might have had with that statement, slightly retarded friend.

Go watch a major, or the current Quake Championship tournament, hell, tell Rapha what you said, watch him laugh at you.

5. je says:

+1 for the Judas Priest reference

• Hoot says:

Where? I was never the biggest Priest fan but I have a now almost OCD for someone to point out the reference.

• FredSaberhagen says:

The title of the header pic

• Someoldguy says:

Breakin’ the Law: Judas Priest

There I was completely wasted, out of work and down
        All inside it’s so frustrating as I drift from town to town
        Feel as though nobody cares if I live or die
        So I might as well begin to put some action in my life

Breaking the law, breaking the law
        Breaking the law, breaking the law
        etc

6. TychoCelchuuu says:

This looks like a neat game but for whatever reason it just seems way too visually busy to me.

7. Kirudub says:

I played a little of the beta, and just didn’t like it.

Maybe I’ve grown out of my salad days of Q2/3 and Unreal Tournament in the ’90s, but I found it pretty basic in concept, yet too fast & twitchy to be reliant on other players having good Internet connections. Mag dumping in an enemy’s face point blank only to have them kill you with a pistol round seems to be a feature in recent MP games, and it’s getting effing old.

The announcer voice for the games I happened to play was also quite grating, like a young Dr. Demento on meth.

What really struck me, though, was that it was also the first game that I felt was so directly made to appeal to the current generation of young male… for example, the music in the menus was competent yet forgettable trap/tech/house or “insert-subgenre-here-step”, but without *any* guts… it was like being forced to loiter in a youth clothing store in a mall.

It was jarring, and made me laugh because I remembered I’m 46 and most certainly NOT their target demo, even though I compose electronic music as a hobby.

8. Unclepauly says:

I’ve been waiting on the right arena shooter to come along and the beta showed me this is the one. Fast, with a higher skill cap than majority of games out there. I would like a bit more tactical play out of it but it’s so fast I’m not sure how it would be implemented. Unless something else comes along before payday this is the one.

9. VN1X says:

Yeah no I just got a refund as this is dead, unfortunately. Only 2500 playing at the time of writing which is about 5k less than they had playing during one of the random CLOSED beta days. Yikes.

I was really looking forward to getting stuck in and, at the very least, play this until CoD comes out. But as it is now I can easily see this go F2P within a few months. Maybe I’ll return to it then but I’ll probably be on the Quake Champions train by that time.

10. left1000 says:

A theory can still be a proven theory, and when taught in school usually is.

While you might have been joking, perpetuating the myth that theories are just guesses (because they can be in colloquial conversation) is dangerous. This misuse of the word is what has caused climate change denial! This type of thinking could destroy the human race. So please don’t use that turn of phrase.

The hypothesis would be the guess, the theorem usually refers to something that has been proven to be true. Not only true but much more important than a lemma or corollary.

• poliovaccine says:

Yeah, I have enough faith in the RPS writers to think that was just tongue-in-cheek, but I agree, the real-life proliferation of things like the flat earthers who think they can use science’s own adamantly self-critical stance that *nothing* mankind can uncover is certain beyond the point of being a working theory as a way to discredit those theories themselves, just… irony exploded me. It’s also a line of thinking not possible without fundamental ignorance of how even a fifth-grade science experiment is performed, and correlative ignorance of science in general. Sooo yeah, stuff like flat earth “theories” and creationism in the classroom are absolutely menacing the future of our species as rational beings whose perceptive faculties reliably enable us to interact with the rest of reality.

• cpt_freakout says:

She was kidding, you guys.

BTW the earth is flat

• king0zymandias says:

Don’t be silly, it’s only flat in the center, With elevated ridges surrounding the perimeter of the flat disc. Just think about it, something needs to stop the water from falling off, common sense really.

• Alice O'Connor says:

Your definition of ‘theory’ is just a theory.

11. voidmind says:

A really great shooter. It will be my main PvP shooter until Destiny 2 comes out.

12. BaronKreight says:

Initially I was looking forward to this game. Played the beta and I really liked badass characters and stuff like that. The gameplay though, its from 1999. Im too old for this gameplay. Shame.

13. TehRadge says:

It’s a pretty extreme game. I usually roll my eyes when I hear people say “I am bad at this game”. I like to play shooters and I must say, I am baaad at this game. I will get about 3 kills in per game and get killed about 20 times. I am still experimenting with the classes though.

Seems the community is a little toxic too, been getting a lot of pricks mouthing off and taking the game too seriously in the text chat, if they ever put in a way to turn that shit off then I am going to be all over it. Otherwise I’m going to run the risk of being banned for giving just as much shit back to people.

• voidmind says:

Individuals being asses does not constitute a toxic community. The vast majority of messages in the chat are just “gg”. If you feel pricked by what random assholes write there, you need to thicken your skin.

• Dilapinated says:

I’d quote the old “If you have to loudly protest that your fandom doesn’t have a toxic side, you’re probably part of it” hueristic, but then you went and said “you just need a thicker skin” and that removed any doubt.

14. ersetzen says:

Yet another Paladins clone?

Sorry. Anyway, it seems like a fun game but I am worried that the skill floor might be too high to retain a sizeable player base. Especially with the price tag.

If there is enough player retention or (sadly more likely) it goes f2p eventually I probably will jump in.