Sine Mora EX is a free update to Grasshopper’s shmup

Grasshopper Manufacture and Digital Reality’s side-scrolling shoot ’em up Sine Mora is back, though it never left. The 2012 game has been expanded and fancied up for the new generation of consoles with new modes and local cooperative play, and those have come our way too. Sine Mora EX [official site] is out now, and is free to folks who own the original. Yup, this is the Grasshopper best known for brash games like Killer7, No More Heroes, and Lollipop Chainsaw, but no one shouts “Fuck you!” when killing enemies or suplexes anyone. Sine Mora is mostly a nice shmup with big bosses.

Bits new to the EX version of Sine Mora are two-player local co-op in Story mode, new competitive modes, new challenge levels, “improved rendering”, full English voice overs, support for 16:9 aspect ratios, and the ability to run in 4K resolutions at up to 60fps. Nothing huge, but nice as a bonus.

I think I played Sine Mora on Xbox Live Arcade before it came to PC and I think I enjoyed it? I can’t be expected to remember that long ago. I do remember that ‘the twist’ is you play against a timer, with hits subtracting precious seconds but kills and some power-ups granting more.

Sine Mora EX is out on Steam and GOG with a regular price of £7.99/9,99€/$9.99 – the same as the original version. It has a 20% discount for the first week, bringing the price down to £6.39/7,99€/$7.99.

Folks who have the original should see Sine Mora EX in their Steam library now, though they might need to restart the Steam client. That’s nice of publishers THQ Nordic.

1. Pich says:

Decent Shmup, fucked up story.

2. Freud says:

The time rewind mechanic and the ability to take damage makes it a good bullet hell game for beginners.

3. ChaosReigner says:

I thought it was made by the dutch or something and then produced by grasshopper (thus why they talk all funny)? But, the game is solid and the story was really good for a shmup. Time for another play through.

• Pich says:

they’re talking in hungarian not dutch IIRC

• yonsito says:

I will not buy this record, it is scratched.

• Barts says:

You. I like you.

• whave says:

I am ashamed I was not familiar with this piece as a hungarian. I listened to the “hungarian phrase” like 15 times to figure out what could it mean as it sounded like russian gibberish – and I had to find out from Wikipedia it is in fact deliberate nonsense. I was hoping for some hidden joke there :)

• whave says:

You do recall correctly indeed. I am hungarian and I was most surprised when I started playing the first one (without any prior knowledge) and the narrator started speaking in my own language. It was shockingly confusing for a few seconds. That’s not something you stumble upon every day. :)

4. Aelran says:

It’s on GOG too !

5. vahnn says:

My thought process while watching the trailer: “Finally, a good game on the Switch! ..Wait a minute, I’m on RPS, why are they covering this?” Back to article: “Holy smokes, it’s on PC!”

Comment on this story