Have You Played… They Breathe?

theybreathe

The less you know about They Breathe [official site] the better. Let’s say it’s a happy game about a frog going on an adventure.

It isn’t a happy game about a frog going on an adventure. It’s a spooky, weird, creepy game about a frog going on an adventure. If you haven’t played it and have managed to avoid someone telling you what it’s all about, I’d suggest playing it right now. It’s short, I promise it doesn’t have any jumpscares, and you’ll probably enjoy it.

Essentially, it’s an entire game based on that bit where in every platformer (especially Sonic) when the player character drowns really slowly and agonisingly, but with all sorts of other weirdness.

1. subprogram32 says:

One of the most memorable games I have ever played.

zapatapon says:

I watched a complete let’s play of this game and enjoyed its creepiness a lot. But my general impression also was that it would be less fun to play than to watch — the gameplay appeared to be quite exasperating and I preferred having someone else suffer through it instead of me.

3. poliovaccine says:

Oh great, a game focused on one of my most intense phobias, I’ll be sure to torture myself by cranking these images thru my eyeballs for some masochistic reason just so I have that much more phobic horror to relive in the final moment of my death (please not by drowning please not by drowning) when all of my life flashes before my eyes. Perfect.

4. anon459 says:

The experience of using some spare Steam Wallet money, earned from sold digital trading cards, to try out this small but atmospheric game took me back to the golden era of flash games, when you could be casually browsing Newgrounds to kill time when you just happen to stumble upon some obscure piece of art that sort of blows your mind and maybe even changes your ideas of what games can be. I love this game.

5. rgbarton says:

Brief question Adam are you still going to review Hellblade because I’d be curious to hear your thoughts on it.

6. upupup says:

A nauseating game, in a good way.

7. haldolium says:

I bought it solely because of the name and the picture of the frog. It was worth it.

• TheLandoBros says:

Dev here, great to hear it, we really wanted to hit something special both with the name but especially with the image and I think we did it :D

8. dskzero says:

I did now. I thought it was a bit lacking but i loved the music and atmosphere. Still, a nice thing, reminded me a bit of Ecco.

9. April March says:

I have it, but I haven’t played it. It’s that rarity: a game that I found about in a bundle but decided to wait to buy it alone. (I think the only other such game in my wishlist is Stray Cat Crossing, which I haven’t bought yet.)

Comment on this story