For Honor starts free trial weekend

Honour is one of the daftest justifications for killing, but I suppose Ubisoft didn’t want to call For Honor [official site] ‘Because Video Games’. If you want to stab a load of men because video games, this weekend you’re invited to have a crack at For Honor for free. You can now download and play the full game — both campaign and competitive — to stab fools until until Sunday evening. Our Brendan didn’t really dig it in his For Honor review but Michael Johnson told us it had promise. Which was right? There’s only one way to find out. Fiiight!

Fire up the Uplay client and you can now download and play For Honor in full until 9pm on Sunday. See this map for times in other zones.

For those who dig it, For Honor is half-price until Monday. It’s down to £19.99 for the regular edition or £34.99 for the Gold Edition which includes the season pass granting instant unlocks of new characters and a load of trinkets, cosmetics doodads, and guff.

Progress from the free weekend will carry over to the full version too.

This comes ahead of For Honor’s big Season 3 update, which will bring two new maps and two new heroes, the Gladiator and Centurion. That’ll kick off on Tuesday, August 15th.

1. Maxheadroom says:

I was in the 1st free weekend they did (I refuse to call it a Beta since it was days before the full launch) and while it seemed fun it also felt like it would get repetitive very quickly.

I’ve not tried the campaign but I imagine that’s as tacked on as every Cod/Battlefield single player campaign is.

Even £20 is a tough sell. £12 and I might give it a punt, then if I only get 2 or 3 hours out of it I’ll still feel I got my money’s worth

• Sian says:

The campaign is… well, it’s there. The first level acts as a tutorial, but you can get that in training mode too. In fact, I think the game forces you into training mode when you first boot it up.

To me, the game still isn’t repetitive. Couldn’t tell you the reason, because I can see where your scepticism would come from. Personally I think the price is too high, but would recommend it during a rather steep sale.

Fair warning to all newcomers: Matchmaking will pair you up with experienced players, presumably because there aren’t that many newcomers. I suggest playing against bots for a while until you feel more comfortable with the game. Also, some people report having connection issues – I don’t, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any.

2. RaunakS says:

Alice reminded me of something: For Honour being a murder simulator feels kinda uncomfortably close to IRL honour killing. Which is a practice that’s far too widespread for me to joke about. I know its stupid.

• Sian says:

It’s just in the name. Nothing in the game is about honour, not even in the story mode.

• ColonelFlanders says:

What so we can joke about things as long as they don’t exist?

Don Reba says:

So, a Jedi, a Klingon, and an Australian walk into a bar…

3. 1manandhisdroid says:

..it’s a shame these discounts aren’t on PSN – £30 for the ‘digital deluxe’ version (doesn’t even include season pass)… I’ll give it a whirl over the weekend, but I’m going in with very low expectations…

4. Axolotl says:

If I have to even touch Uplay to play the game, then free isn’t cheap enough. They should pay the players to put up with their terrible “service”.

• ColonelFlanders says:

[Copy and paste generic hatred for non-steam platforms here]

Seriously though people need to get a grip. uPlay really isn’t that bad. It’s a massive pain in the arse that my games are split across more than one library, but as an application it launches the games I want to play without sacrificing my mother in law or breaking anything. There are really no reasons to feel strongly in either direction about uPlay, or Origin for that matter.