Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds first-person-only mode now supports squads

If you’d rather play Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds [official site] without folks using the third-person camera view to peek around corners and over walls, good news: the first-person-only option is now live for all modes. While regular Plunkbat lets people switch between third and first-person views with the press of a button, this mode locks everyone to peeping through their virtuapeepers. It makes for quite a different pace.

After a trial run in the Solo and Duo queues on North American and European servers, the mode is now available for Squads and on the Asia servers too. Get the lads together, hop in the bantmobile, and enjoy the first-person view of slamming a Red Bull before hitting the town for some mischief.

The option is still marked as “beta” but heck, the game’s in early access – everything is a bit wonky.

“Players, first-person only servers are now available in ALL game modes on NA, EU and ASIA servers,” tweeted the game’s official tweetblaster this morning. “Leaderboards will be added later.”

First-person-only still isn’t live on the Oceania, Central and South America, and South East Asia servers.

It’s an interesting addition. Even aside from the cheeky peeky potential of third-person, being locked to a first-person view makes me do a lot more to update my situational awareness. While simply running places, I’m constantly flicking glances and slowing to check behind me. Directional sound awareness becomes more important too. Holding Alt does still let players rotate the camera without altering their character’s direction, though it’s locked to a reasonable neck range.

In other Plunkbat news, this week’s ‘weekly’ patch launched this morning too. Its relatively minor changes include fixing a few bugs (hooray for again seeing someone’s location on the minimap while spectating), making motorbike engine and vehicle skid sounds quieter, and optimising performance for CPUs with six or more cores.

As for the next big feature on the early access roadmap, climbing and vaulting, that mmmight arrive in this month’s big ‘monthly’ patch.

“That’s going to take us perhaps another month to get it to a state where we’re happy to release it,” creator Brendan ‘Plunk’ Greene told CNET at the end of July. “It may take a little longer, as all things in development sometimes do.”

Battlechums, have you first-personed much? Will you now? My regular squadpals haven’t yet decided but I hope we’ll give it a good try. I am excited for final circles in fields where my view is filled entirely with wheat.

Godwhacker says:

It’s much more intense, and it does seem there’s rather less sudden death from unseen foes. You can’t hide in a ditch or on a roof with a low wall and still get a view on your surroundings, for example, which means if you want to get a view on someone you have to let them have a view on you.

Still mostly die from being shot in the back though.

• ChanceSL says:

Getting shot in the back happens to me in a few games, primarily, Call of Duty, here not as much, but I often get killed by someone sitting in a window. :/

2. TR`Ben says:

First person rules. I find it alot more interesting. Camera feels a little weird, but I’m not going back to third person.

3. DThor says:

This is good for a lot of players that want it, but to me third person falls into the category of “acceptable cheats”. There are tons of them in any game, including the obvious nonsense of healing or running top speed for 5 minutes without slowing down. I’ve tried first person a few times but it changes the game for me to be much slower and shorter. It’s more appropriate for a small scale game like laser tag.

But…to each their own…

laiwm says:

I’m not against 3rd person, but 1st person makes camping a much less viable strategy and I find the game more enjoyable with that restriction – the late game feels less luck-based when you can be fairly sure there’s nobody peeking from behind a rock while you’re running for the circle. Haven’t found a ghillie suit in 1st person yet but I imagine they’re a lot less OP when you can’t see over the grass you’re hiding in.

4. NicholasTimothyJones says:

I only ever play first person anyway. Third person feels a bit janky.

5. GeorgeBradley says:

Can’t imagine playing PB in no other mode than third-person camera view…

• theallmightybob says:

Give first person a try, it changes the combat flow completely and opens up a lot of tactics you cant really employ in third person. Just make sure you max your FOV slider if you have motion sickness issues. something still seems a bit off with it, but its fun.

• fish99 says:

Why though? Almost everyone I’ve heard express an opinion says the game is much more fun in first person.

wsjudd says:

optimising performance for CPUs with six or more cores.

R Y Z E N B O Y S

7. DarkMalice says:

Have to say, I wasn’t all that excited about 1st-person initially, but now I can’t go back to 3rd-person.

8. Crusoe says:

I tried it but my eyeballs seem to be lodged firmly in my kness for some reason.

• theallmightybob says:

nope its in your head. just walk up to another player in the lobby to test that. problem is the entire scale of all the props are way off, even in third person, you just never notice it.

• Poolback says:

I thought it had more to do with the fact that the gun and your hand are very close to your face in FPP. If you are inside the room and look around while disarmed, the scale is okay.

• vahnn says:

The doors are funky, like the knobs are head height, the counters in the diner are gigantic, and other such minor things.

9. edwardoka says:

Came to this party quite late, and other than a couple of sessions with others I’ve spent my time entirely in first person. I am really bad at it though. My speciality is in failed ambushes.

10. vahnn says:

Never going back to third person, ever.