Raid: World War II due from ex-Payday devs next month

Those naughty Nazis are back and being murdered to bits in Raid: World War II [official site], a new cooperative shooter being published by Payday 2 publishers Starbreeze Studios. The four-player stealth-o-shooter will send goodies to rob, sabotage, and murder the baddies, leaving mayhem and destruction in their wake. It’s meant to be similar-ish to Payday 2. And yesterday, Starbreeze announced that Raid: World War II will launch on September 26th. Oh, and John Cleese will voice your intelligence dad.

So! There are Nazis, and they have troops, infrastructure, and treasure. You don’t want them to have any of those. So off you and your pals go to sabotage and steal. It’s class-based — Recon, Assault, Insurgent, and Demolitions — with different abilities that help build a rounded team of elite Nazi-killers. It’s meant to be quite like Payday 2, and the little I’ve seen does seem similar-ish to some of the less-conventional Payday levels.

Raid: World War II is being made by Lion Game Lion, a studio which was formed mostly of folks from Payday devs Overkill Software and which has worked on Payday 2 DLC too. Lion GameLion’s work includes the Car Shop and The Bomb heists.

For a game so close, Starbreeze have shown remarkably little of Raid. All the official trailers are cinematic guff. Here, check out two minutes of action and dev chat from a livestream a couple months back:

1. haldolium says:

Wow. Looks equally boring and unnecessary as that Valve card game. Way to waste coop game experience.

Craig Pearson says:

Not nearly as boring and unnecessary as this comment, though.

• Bull0 says:

But Craig, there’s only so much co-op game experience to go around. So much of the world’s supply was wasted on Evolve, and look what happened there?

I’m quietly excited about this, it’s quite original (as is Payday 2, it’s just a bit buggy and wallet-drainy with all the DLC) and Car Shop is one of my favourite heists. If it lives up to the interactive Where Eagles Dare vision I have built up in my head I’ll play it for years

• haldolium says:

I would disagree. Since you brought it up, I would even go as far to say this is the equivalent of an unnecessary, boring opinionated comment as mine above.

It’s not sophisticated thursday, so I’ve just been blunt there. Seeing WW2 themed, one-sided FPS vanishing was good and I don’t really see any need to bring that theme in that way back. Doesn’t really matter if its “Omaha Beach” or not, that theme in the particular context is annoying.

“Four players team up to fight and steal all across Europe. Anything goes, as long as one simple goal is achieved: stop the Nazis.”

Sure, whatever it takes to “stop the Nazis”

2. Dreggsao says:

So a new coat of paint for Payday 2 but with with more stealth? I pass.

3. dingbat91 says:

It’s interesting to see they are still using overkill tags on their usernames? I guess the break was amicable. The fact they are both under the same publisher is good news as well. I hope they’ll support each other as time goes on!

4. AbyssUK says:

I liked paydays gameplay and idea… but the killing of thousands of innocent modern day looking policemen didn’t sit well.. perhaps this would appeal to me more..

5. Chaz says:

Featuring old school FPS ladder climbing.

6. Derty says:

I played this at PAX West last year and it was barely even functional. I’m very surprised that it is ready for release this quickly. It was very very Payday like.

7. KDR_11k says:

The PD2 engine was apparently becoming a real problem for maintenance but if you think about it just releasing PD3 with less content than PD2 has accrued over the years would just be a bad idea. So the thematic break gives a good reason why it doesn’t have everything that PD2 has.

8. Catweasel says:

I don’t want another game in this horrible engine, oh noooooo. :<

Comment on this story