Overwatch adding deathmatch to Arcade lineup

Deathmatch is finally coming to Overwatch [official site] as a side mode. For players who simply want to run around shooting people, paying no heed to any objectives, free-for-all and team deathmatch modes are being added to the Arcade lineup of rotating game modes. Oh sure, do it now, Overwatch has only suffered a year of those jerks ignoring the objective. Some existing maps have been modified for deathmatch, and Blizzard have purpose-made a new deathmatch map set in Widowmaker’s family estate in France. Deathmatch isn’t properly live yet but is on the public test servers so you can have a go today.

Deathmatch mode will pit eight players against each other in a first-to-20 fragest. Team Deathmatch will be 4v4 in a race to 30 points. As established deathmatch rules dictate, killing yourself loses one point.

It mostly goes down on modified versions of regular maps but FFA will also include Chateau Guillard. Widowmaker’s ancestral home will include “slight hints about her background and what she’s up to”, game director Jeff Kaplan said in an accompanying video. Of course fans are already poring over details but mostly I like the idea that she rattles around a lake mansion glugging expensive wine.

While the Arcade lineup rotates, so deathmatch won’t be featured constantly, the deathmatch modes will be available in custom games.

Deathmatch is now live on the public test realm, along with an assortment of balance tweaks.

1. Zorgulon says:

I think this is a pretty good idea for the throwaway Arcade mode. I expect certain heroes to dominate, but we already see that in Elimination.

As Jeff says, a nice way to warm up or let off some steam.

2. caerphoto says:

inb4 axe-grinding about having to buy lootboxes

Anyway, deathmatch seems kind of ideal as a blow-off-steam mode after some stressful “ugh my teammates are awful” competitive games.

• Seafoam says:

Yeah I definitely agree. The biggest problem Overwatch has right now is that its fun but so, so stressful, which causes more people to act like massive dicks on your team. Teamplay just stresses people out it seems.

I hope this mode might even have a marginal effect for the better, like an inbuilt stress toy.

• Zorgulon says:

That’s what I’m hoping too. Competitive in particular can be pretty intense, and a lot of players get deeply unpleasant when things don’t work out.

Slightly more remote is the possibility Alice suggests that the oh so skilful “lone wolves” who instalock Hanzo or Widow or whatever will migrate into this mode, since all they seem to care about is kills. But it probably won’t happen: after all what’s the fun in sniping if your target is trying to kill you instead of heading obliviously to complete the objective…

• int says:

Look mate! This game is bloody serious. All that matters is winning, which is something I learned from Charles of Sheen.

• MikoSquiz says:

I stick to quickplay to avoid the super serious angry sports, but then, that’s full of people picking 5 DPS to play the-objective-is-lava with. Hopefully having Deatchmatch around will filter some of those out. I hope it becomes a permanent addition.

3. Foosnark says:

I look forward to being embarrassingly, repeatedly pwned by a smartass playing Mercy.

• Darloth says:

well she self-regenerates health and that gun is perfectly accurate and does a surprising amount of damage…

Unsure the rest of her kit will prove useful, but I’m sure someone will make it work :)

4. Seyda Neen says:

In the video, Jeph mentioned that team deathmatch is 6v6, not 4v4. Looking forward to it, anyway.