The Foxer

Sorry, no Flare Path this week. All you get is the foxer and a couple of game recommendations so subtle they’re almost subliminal.

This collage has a hidden theme. Identify the components and that theme should emerge.

*       *       *

SOLUTIONS

Last week’s collage theme: Tarzan (defoxed by Gothnak)

a MiG-19 Farmer (AFKAMC)
b National Underwater and Marine Agency (NUMA) badge (unsolved)
c Vickers Viscount (AFKAMC, Stugle)
d Burroughs adding machine (AbyssUK)
e Calais Jungle (unsolved)
f Cole Porter (phlebas)
g Suzuki Liana (unsolved)
h Avro Lincoln (phuzz)
i British Rail Class 17 ‘Clayton‘ (Lazzars, AbyssUK)
j Jane Goodall (phuzz, phlebas)
k Laurent ‘The Tarzan of Buzenval’  Dauthuille (Rorschach617)

1. Stugle says:

Scrabble tiles scattered around the image…

2. Lazzars says:

That’s the Roma Gypsies flag on the left.

• Stugle says:

Nice! I was looking for chrysanthemum flags and getting overwhelmed with (imperial) Japanese examples.

3. Stugle says:

Is that HM the Queen during World War 2 in the photograph to the left of the plane?

4. AbyssUK says:

I am dissapointed to find that the image in the background isn’t a cover for watership down.. i thought it was the sun god…

5. Wandering Taoist says:

That’s a Czechoslovak communist 1 koruna coin on the right. Oh, and strawberry plant (leaves + flower) in the background.

6. Gothnak says:

Sheesh, i forgot again!… Right…

7. Gothnak says:

I hope it isn’t immigration, i try and get away from politics on here :). – Roma, Czechs, Strawberry picking :p.

phuzz says:

Aircraft in the middle, it looks like it should be easy, but…
    It’s NOT a Vickers Warwick, but it’s close…

• AbyssUK says:

I was looking at the He-177 “Grief” (Griffen) but am sure its wrong..

bsplines says:

Vickers Warwick/Wellington are the closest ones I have found so far, but the nose is different from the foxer.

• Stugle says:

The wings on that airplane are set back much farther than on those Vickers planes. I think that’s the defining characteristic, but I haven’t found anything yet.

phuzz says:

The wings are pretty much halfway down the fuselage, which is not normal for piston engined aircraft.
        The only other planes I can find that have their wings so far back are seaplanes, so that’s where I’m looking now…
        (It might be Japanese, perhaps, but not a ‘Jane’ [Ki-21] and there’s no ‘Emma’)

• Julhelm says:

It’s a Martin Mercator.

• Rorschach617 says:

This aircraft is driving me up the wall.

The Vickers Warwick/Wellington has:

wings the right shape but they are too far forward;
      the engines in the Foxer are look like inlines, but the Warwick used radial engines and only the Wellington Mk.II used inlines;
      both the Warwick and the Wellington appear to lack the little dome structure on the fuselage behind the wings.

• Numptydumpty says:

Ooh< I got one. It's a Martin P4m Mercator. See the plan view at the bottom of this page link to avionslegendaires.net

9. Gothnak says:

The Scrabble letters look a little like an anagram of some kind of chemical. I can get both Bromine and Oxide out of them, but not at the same time.

Think they are:

ledubminrxo

But the M is partly obscured.

10. unacom says:

Ship behind the bust looks like a Almirante-Lynch-/Faulknor-class flotilla leader.

-EDIT- changed heavy detroyer to flotilla leader

11. Gothnak says:

Other things…

The orchard or garden in the shape of the USA, and what looks like a tower or folly with a stately home at the bottom of the hill?

• mrpier says:

Is the tower Broadwoods Folly?

Located at Box Hill in Surrey.

• Gothnak says:

I think i need to resign from trying to decipher pictures, and just do the joiny bit.. I’ve bloody been here, it’s about 15 miles away and i searched for follies all over the UK.

12. Cederic says:

Missing a Flare Path would normally be a gross dereliction of duty but on the day of the 28th consecutive Communal Combat Mission post I think it’s a well deserved break.

Big thank you hugs, Tim.

13. Stugle says:

What’s the window/balcony thingy behind the airplane? Or is it the plinth of the statue, suggesting that the head is several storeys high?

• phlebas says:

Neither the building nor the halo thing behind the bust are part of the bust.

The halo appears to be a pan magazine from a Russian DP-28 machine gun (which was, according to Wikipedia, nicknamed Emma by the Finnish army):
      link to en.wikipedia.org

• phlebas says:

The grand entrance looks like HIGHBURY stadium, former home of Arsenal, which shares its name with the village where Emma is set.

• Gothnak says:

I actually looked up Highbury for the bushes in the shape of the USA below, didn’t think of the building :p…

14. Gothnak says:

Due to mrpier identifying somewhere i have actually been that i didn’t identify, i’m going to guess at Jane Austen’s Emma.

She wrote about STRAWBERRIES in it.
    There was a party at BOX HILL.
    One of the characters is Frank CHURCHILL.
    There are some GYPSIES in the book (getting vague now).
    There is a ball at the Crown Inn (KORUNA means CROWN in Czech)… Yeah, i’ve run out of ideas.

• Gothnak says:

Two Literary Foxers in a row seems unlikely though…

• Gothnak says:

Hmm, might be right after all, there is a section where Emma is given some tiles (pre-Scrabble) and finds the words BLUNDER and DIXON both findable in our Scrabble tiles above.. By George i might have got it again.

• phlebas says:

Splendid work! I wondered when I saw Box Hill but you were way ahead of me.
        Frank Churchill and Jane Fairfax met in WEYMOUTH, I believe.

15. AbyssUK says:

The bust is Johan Edvard Lundström by John Börjeson, Jönköping

Johan Edvard Lundström (1815–1888) was a Swedish industrialist and inventor who pioneered the production of safety matches.

• Gothnak says:

So i assume he is therefore a MATCHMAKER, which is what Emma is as well albeit in a different meaning of the word.

16. Stugle says:

Tim, is the shortcut on the right of the Foxer header for Diesel Railcar Simulator? I read your thoughts last week, have looked at what little other information I could find online, and have been circling that game for the last few days. If that’s the shortcut, I’ll take that as a sign that my wallet needs to part with fifteen dollars urgently.