What are we all playing this weekend?

Happy International Youth Day, everyone! If you too believe the children are our future, celebrate today by giving a youth you know what you would’ve wanted at their age: someone to talk to, someone who listens and believes them without judging, plus twenty Silk Cut and a bottle of WKD Blue.

What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on.

Adam: [Adam is on holiday. I’d imagine that he is, by now, playing Try To Peel All My Sunburn Off My Arm In One Single Untorn Strip -ed.]
Alec: Ah’m gittin’ off mah hoss and playing that there West Of Loathing, pard’ner. Its cowboy movie jokes are much better than my cowboy jokes are. Can it possibly live up to its deliriously silly predecessor, Kingdom of Loathing? Though, if today (Friday, fact fans) goes to plan I might have a write up of it up on the site before this WAWAPTW is posted, in which case my teasing as to whether it’s any good or not is ABSOLUTELY REDUNDANT.
Alice: I mmmight be down in That London this weekend and still am undecided as I write this. Dunno. It’s distant and expensive. If not, I’ll be kicking around the Edinburgh festivals. Either way, I suppose I’ll be squeezing Plunkbat and Isaac into the cracks of my weekend. Why, I have entire MINUTES between finishing writing this and the next train I may or may not catch. That’s more than enough time for a disastrous spicy drop onto the school rooftop while I think.
Brendan: [Brendan is also away. Both off and away, out and gone for the next week. By which I of course mean that he’s fired -ed.]
Graham: I’ve just installed Foxhole, the topdown multiplayer Jim Rossignol-’em-up that Brendan talked about on the podcast and wrote about this past week. You play a soldier in a war in which the players are as much responsible for the battle logistics as for the actual running and gunning, meaning you’ll need to work together to load trucks and drive trucks and deliver goods. That’s all I ever want out of a game.
John: I’m going to Londontown this weekend, where ancient by-laws state there must be no games. Instead I’ll be going to the Natural History Museum to see if I can find Andy’s time traveling clock and go visit some dinosaurs.
Philippa: This weekend I will be playing The Long Dark. I could also visit the local fete. If there’s time I should try to fit in a spot of tightening some witches.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. slartibartfast says:

This week I have mostly been playing the Game of Thrones mod A World of Ice and Fire for Mount and Blade: Warband. I see no reason to change those plans.

Grizzly says:

I just found out that RFactor 2 has added a little known track known as “Zandvoort”. Never heard about that one before, but it seems like a –*

Okay I can’t keep this up it’s ZAANDVOOORT aaah why won’t you download faster

3. Minglefingler says:

Owlboy which is a fantastic game and has been putting a smile on my face throughout the week as I’ve been dipping in and out of it around work. I’m really enjoying Hellblade as well, it’s great to see developers like Ninja Theory taking risks like this and I hope it pays off for them.

4. Csirke says:

We might be having a LAN party for Civ V tomorrow. Last time was interrupted due to technical difficulties :(

Other than that, the new No man’s sky update! Steam says I have 125 hours in that game, I’m sure the new update will help put a few more in :D

5. zsd says:

Gone witchin’…instead of just a’wishin’…

6. Ghostwise says:

I’m on week-long Path of Exile bender. With the all-new ten acts structure, I feel that it’s cleaner to recreate and re-level all my characters.

7. Chaoslord AJ says:

Will continue ME:Andromeda for the good bits it offers but boy it’s low quality overall. Puts the critics of DA:Inquisition to shame.

8. lglethal says:

“tightening some witches” is that a euphemism I’m not familiar with? Whatever it is, it sounds like something I want to do! :D

Xcom2 will take up my free times this weekend, except for tomorrow when, weather permitting, I will be gallavanting in the Alps and enjoying that crisp mountain air…

9. wcq says:

Gravity Rush 2 on my secret sonybox. Don’t tell anyone, the other kids will call me a consoleboy.

It’s just a really fun game, dang it!

AutonomyLost says:

I have that downloaded on my PS4 and have never booted it up. Strange, that. It looked fun and decidely different than anything else I own, yet I haven’t dipped in. What’s Good about it?

• wcq says:

Well, may I assume you haven’t played the first game? I’m thinking if I should explain what’s good about the series in general or just the second game specifically.

• wcq says:

Well, anyway, I’ll just go with the assumption that number two is your first Gravity Rush.

As I see it, there are two main draws to the series, the first being the movement mechanics. As you probably know, the main character is able to shift the direction of gravity. This essentially means that you can fly, wherever and whenever you want. This sense of freedom feels great, and there’s an element of mastery to the shifting too that makes you want to pull off some sick gravity tricks.

The second draw of the series is the world. It’s strange and dreamlike, and there’s a lot of mystery to it. I’ve also found the characters very likeable, which helps a lot since the story itself is… oddly paced. But that may be on purpose.

Mechanically speaking the second game is leagues ahead the first one, with more involved combat and way more freedom in exploration. Story wise, however, the second game might be a tough starting point. The events in the first game are not explained much at all, and are referenced constantly.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I second that it is a great game. It’s a super hero game set in a crazy world of floating Paris-like cities. The main character Kat is adorable, you’ll love her.

10. Zorgulon says:

Had a fun time playing Mario Kart on a friend’s Switch last night, but I’ll take advantage of a quiet day today to start the latest CivFanatics Game of the Month for Civ VI.

Will almost certainly squeeze some Overwatch in too.

11. Spacewalk says:

I got the urge for some EDF 4.1 and it’s many missile launchers and EDF has the best missile launchers. If you love the shit outta missile launchers and who doesn’t then this is the game for you, the fact that it gives you things to shoot missiles at is just gravy.

Lots of tanks too. The best tanks.

rgronow says:

No Man’s Sky is brilliant now with the update. But oh my gosh,I did not realise that there was a GOT’s more for Mount & Blade! That is incredible. Going to download it right now

• Ben King says:

NMS is on my list too! I’m ridiculously excited to play after reading the patch notes that literally included all the stuff I was dreaming about after the first trailers years ago (interstellar conflict! Trade! Crashed freighters!). I’ve been binging on it this last week painfully collecting some of the odd trophies necessary to unlock upgrades (8hrs on one planet WHY?) but having a total blast trucking around in my nomad like a little kid with a toy truck. The writing is so weak (or at least poorly presented) that I struggle to actually be excited about new “story” but maybe they’ll pull a rabbit out of their hat. Also running D&D’s 5e Curse of Strahd for some friends.

AutonomyLost says:

I’ll be finishing Hellblade as well as progressing further in Forza Horizon 3.

14. Vandelay says:

I picked up Elite Dangerous earlier in the week, so I will likely be continuing with that. I imagine as a flat screen game it is probably fairly dull, as there doesn’t seem to be a huge amount variation and the missions so far appear to be mostly cut and paste jobs, often boiling down to fetch quests.

In VR though, it is magnificent. The scale of everything is just incredible. One of my favourite moments has been traveling to a ringed planet and seeing the beautiful planet circled by this multicoloured ring. Moving in closer, the circle soon became 1000s of little tiny asteroids, only for me to get even closer to realise that they are actually 10,000s of giant asteroids.

I think my next task is to work on getting something a bit better than the starting ship and stick some decent weapons on it. I’ve entered a few combat missions, but been destroyed pretty much instantly.

Also, going to finally get around to playing the Dark Souls board game, which I’ve had sitting in the cupboard for months. Only had a quick bash at it solo when it first arrived to learn the rules, but it seemed good fun. Possibly requiring some house rules, but nothing too drastic. Might squeeze in some Game of Thrones Card Game too.

• cranium1 says:

I have had Elite for a couple of years now but only got around to playing it when I got my Vive. You are right, the wow factor and immersion is certainly there and it is one of the best looking games on VR. Unfortunately, the game seemed a bit shallow to me with nothing much to do really. Dont mean to be a downer, hope you enjoy it more than I did!

15. Morcane says:

PoE and I’ll check out the new update for No Man’s Sky.

16. obscured says:

Hell blade, pubg and I have owl boy a few weeks so might install that too, the sound in Hell blade is amazing.

particlese says:

I shall be ignoring the moaning, paranoia, and boring rationality about matchmaking and low player counts and give Lawbreakers a go. I played some Q3A and UT99 last night and noted that they are still loads of fun, that I am still terrible at them, that UT is still my favorite, and that Devil Daggers feels really weird afterward.

I’m essentially looking for a good multiplayer fix after abondoning ESO in a firey blaze of MMO burnout, but my impulse pick for fun FPS multiplaying, Overwatch, somehow looks a little too polished and class-heavy on closer examination. It’s suspicious, I tell ya!

A lousy complaint, I know…it’s an initial choice based on limited time* and vague sentiment, so suggestions are welcome, if the above triggers any ideas of cups of tea.

*I’ve a pile of single-player games which need tending to, too. ;)

• Unclepauly says:

Comment negated by bringing up OW when talking about a different fps. Edit button has timed out so we are stuck with this. Bye.

particlese says:

Actually, comment negated by having enough fun with Lawbreakers that I’m happy for now. It’s pretty much exactly what I was looking for, despite having more class differentiation than I expected.

particlese says:

Also playing this weekend: pulling a hamstring dodging bullets in Superhot VR. It’s every bit as good as I’d read.

18. mpk says:

I’m playing “I bought the new XCOM2 expansion last night without realising it doesn’t unlock for two weeks and now I’m sad”.

Also, £35? I paid £40 for the base game, so this expansion had better be worth it. I seem to remember Firaxis charging a similiar amount for the Beyond Earth expansion, which was scandalous enough given how dull the base game is, but I don’t remember XCOM Enemy Within costing anywhere near as much.

EDIT: although, looking at Steam now, I can see that Enemy Within is more expensive than Enemy Unknown. Huh. My memory fails me.

19. Danniar says:

I too will be looking for Andy’s clock but sadly not in the natural history museum but in the car park of my apartment building. My 3 year old has even fashioned themselves an Andy-like costume. Dinosaurs are everywhere!

20. dangermouse76 says:

Anyone here used the Horizon mod for Fallout 4 ? A total overhaul of the systems in the game.
    That’s my plan anyway.

21. Faldrath says:

It’s going to be a very balanced diet of Path of Exile, Dark Souls 3 and No Man’s Sky. Yep. Balanced indeed. The first is magnificent after the latest expansion, but it’s my comfort food. The middle one is the spicy haute cuisine. The latter, well, is the exotic marmite-like one that I’m finally giving a fair shake after the last patch. And you know what? At least in the beginning it’s not bad at all.

22. GemFire81 says:

Path of Exile of course!!!

23. Catterbatter says:

Finishing Shardlight. Starting Gemini Rue. Kicking myself for not buying ALL the Wadjet Eye games when they were on sale, like someone here helpfully recommended.

24. Someoldguy says:

Time to saddle up and ride West of Loathing

cairbre says:

Looking like ass creed syndicate so I too can go to that London this weekend and maybe some just cause 3 it is a joy to play on my new PC.

26. TehK says:

It’s Dota-Time! So most of my free time, I’ll be spending watching the International, which so far has delivered some great games.

If there’s some time left, I’ll probably do something relaxing… like progressing a bit in Darkest Dungeon.

27. ByrdWhyrm says:

For once I am somewhat with the zeitgeist, as I’ll be alternating plunkbat and The Long Dark’s story mode, with occasional breaks to play the iOS version of NEO Scavenger like the filthy casual I am.

28. Kitsunin says:

I’ve been playing Gigantic near-constantly. Is it my favorite shooter-thing of all time? Signs point to Yes.

Also starting to explore alternate choices in The Letter after finishing for the first time. Is it my favorite Visual Novel of all time? Yes. Definitely. Hot dang is it amazing, even in spite of grammar issues and missing voice lines (especially near the end, and thankfully this is being fixed bit by bit).

Gosh, what a time it is to be gaming.

29. and its man says:

Wife was so crazy about Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice that we finished it in two days.
    So this weekend, I guess I’m heading back to Rain World. Again.
    “Rain World is exhausting. Feels like battling Jet Set Willy and Cauldron 2 at the same time.” Repeat ad libitum.

teije says:

Long Dark, but sandbox, not the story mode that I’m not liking so much. Sandbox is awesome as always, trying out some of the more challenging maps and Pleasant Valley is not being so pleasant to me right now…

31. malkav11 says:

Probably “visit with my mom and maybe revamp one or more aspects of my living space”, at least today. But I also need to kill good ol’ Flappy two more times in Secret World Legends, and get back to FFXIV (which I have largely ignored in favor of finishing my Twin Peaks Bluray set this week, but that’s done). And explore more of the wacky world of Loathing in West of Loathing. I’ve barely started and it’s already great.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Still trucking away at Breath of the Wild with some possible Splatoon 2 thrown in. I actually haven’t played Splatoon in over a week, I should really remedy that.

Also playing the game of waiting for Polygon to let us know what the fuck is going on already.

33. cpt_freakout says:

Played Overcooked with my girlfriend and another two friends last night, it was incredibly fun! She told me she had a really good time, which considering she’s never been into gaming, says a lot about just how much the game gets right.

I want to keep going at Prey, but I just got to a part in the GUTS where some damn Teknokinetic monster just crushes me time and again. I even started to consider starting the game all over in an easier difficulty (I went for hard straight away as I always do with FPSs), but I guess I just need to play at the right time, you know, that one time when you overcome something that was previously impossible. The difficulty spikes on Prey are crazy, though.

Ninja Dodo says:

Yeah, those are annoying. My go to tactic was Q-beam followed by shotgun, or pistol if out of range. It helps if you can catch them on the ground. Much harder to deal with when they fly away.

34. fiendling says:

Playing Tower of Time, it’s a blast.

35. Rainshine says:

Firing up Guild Wars 2 again, seeing how much it grabs me. I always enjoyed the general feel of solo/small group combat and synergies, but I never grasped the greater meta mechanics and ‘the way things are’ of it all.
    And probably trying to figure out where I am in my old DA:O save and what still needs to be done.

36. floogles says:

Local co-op Diablo 2. Oh god it’s amazing. I only finished normal release years ago, not Lord of Destruction so I even have new content to look forward to.

Just entered Act 3, and thoroughly enjoying the atmosphere, music and of course the very tight gameplay loop.

37. DeadCanDance says:

Dishonored 2. Ready to board for the clockwork mansion.

38. Josh W says:

Probably no more Senua, onto other things for a bit; even though I’ve no expectation of buying the new xcom 2 expansion, I’m back in the game. The basic mechanics and level generation are gorgeous, although the occasional random difficulty cliffs and timed missions are still wrecking me.

particlese says:

I started playing that a couple weekends ago, but then I double-clicked some things in steam, and suddenly I was playing new or neglected games. It was a scary, alien action, but totally worth it and got rid of the queue indecision handily. (The queue had morphed into an angry mob at some point.)

39. kelmorg says:

No Mans Sky, continuing a Mount and Blade campaign and a bit more with the excellent Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen.

40. Unsheep says:

Nice, the Natural History Museum, wish I could visit it one day.

For this weekend I’ll be playing a mix of Indie games and old Classic games.

Tahira -Echoes of the Astral Empire. A tough and very tactical isometric action-adventure game. It has an unusual visual style, characters and storyline.

Bounty Train. A really cool and fun mix of trading/management gameplay and RPG elements. Fantastic music and atmosphere.

Masquerada: Songs and Shadows. Isometric action-adventure. Fully voice-acted. Great pause-based action gameplay. Interesting storyline.

Candle. Puzzle-based platformer and adventure game. Absolutely fanstastic visual style; unique and beatiful. The puzzles are quite tricky, the game has an open-world feel to it, good narrative, and the storyline is interesting.

Delta Force. Playing through this series, starting with the first one. Not one of the most advanced FPS games around, but it doesn’t have to be, it’s fun the way it is.

Space Colony HD. For people who don’t know, it’s like a Sims game combined with Planetbase. It’s one of my Top 10 games of all time.

Journeyman Project 1. One of my absolute favourite gaming franchises.I’ve decided to replay the whole series, since I’ve forgotten enough to make it feel sort of new again.

Ninja Dodo says:

I will be playing Heavy Rain, which I started years ago but never finished (stopped because my PS3 was temporarily unavailable). Picked up around where you first play as the old private-detective. It’s an interesting game. I’m glad it exists (I believe Sean Vanaman said at one point that there would be no Telltale Walking Dead if not for this game) and I like how it tackles unconventional subject matter (for games) in a contemporary setting… but it does have problems. Undecided about the story so far. Some parts seem a bit contrived though nothing as nonsensical as Fahrenheit (which I gave up on).

Its main weakness are the Quick Time Events which are just inherently a terrible mechanic that should be phased out of games entirely. What bothers me more about these QTEs than the ones in Telltale games or Mass Effect though is…

1) Other than pushing a direction the buttons are *completely arbitrary* making it impossible to consistently know what to do under pressure (especially if you alternate between PS and XBox controllers: Where is X again?). I fail half the combat QTEs because of this. If you want to prompt player action under stress you have to make input consistent. Attack should always be attack, dodge always dodge, etc. (and give a reasonable window to react)

2) QTEs are your primary means of interaction other than walking around. That’s what you do in the game 90% of the the time.

The only mechanic I actively like is the circling thought/dialogue options, conveying the ideas milling around in your head (though it can be hard to read the icons, maybe should have used colours also, or slower rotation).

I might also start up No Man’s Sky to see what’s new.

Comment on this story