3030 Deathwar Redux leaves early access next month

3030 Deathwar Redux

Remember 3030 Deathwar, the 2D open world RPG in space? Adam wrote about it in 2014, calling it a “remarkable and enormous game“. Well, there’s an updated version with new quests, polished graphics and more characters coming out of early access next month (13 September, to be exact).

3030 Deathwar Redux [official site], like the original, is an open-world RPG combining adventure game with 2D Elite-style exploration and combat. The new version provides “an extended adventure, with more characters and content, graphical enhancements, balancing and gameplay changes, a smoother experience and tons of other improvements,” developers Crunchy Leaf Games say.

The range of things you can do in its 30 star systems sounds pretty impressive. If you want to take on simple delivery jobs to save up money for a better ship, you can. Or you can fire up the boosters and hunt down some derelict ships, space walk into them and nab the loot. It reminds me a bit of Freelancer in that regard.

The description of the overarching plot line is fairly vague, a tale of “intergalactic intrigue” that ties together a Tao-ist group with a bent mechanic.

The image at the top of this post shows the out-of-ship exploration parts, which mostly take past in bars on space outposts, and here’s a shot of the top-down ship segments so that you get an idea:

3030 Deathwar Redux spaceship

It’s £10.99/14,99€/$14.99 on Steam.

And here’s the trailer from the initial Early Access release last year:

1. danimalkingdom says:

looks good but god i hope we can take off that fedora.

2. poliovaccine says:

No, I dont remember this, actually, cus I never heard of it, but it looks kinda great (in spite of the fedora). Open world RPG in a Freelancer-style vision of future space? I can totally get with sidescrolling for that! After all, I dont always mind 2D for things like this (i.e. non-platformers) – I like Dex and I love Lone Survivor.

Never even heard of this when I’ve tried googling around for space-based RPGs or close-to-its tho, which is surprising. Incidentally, hey world, any other recommendations along those lines? And is 3030 Deathwar as interesting to a Freelancer addict as it sounds?

• funky_mollusk says:

I would say yes, based on playing the original free version. I’m always looking for more freelancer-likes, and I enjoyed this one quite alot. It introduces a couple of unique mechanics to the formula.

I’m definitely buying this once it’s out.

• funky_mollusk says:

Oh I forgot: the writing is hilariously terrible. But it doesn’t matter. the sandbox is fun.

• poliovaccine says:

Haha, well as long as it’s *hilariously terrible, I can do that. Anyway, I think I’ll go ahead and check out the free version now, tho by the sound of it I’m pretty sure I’ll wind up throwing some cash at it. Er, well, not cash.. money, cash is physical. Or is it? Do I just feel that way?

*wanders off muttering*

Harlander says:

You might also be interested in Naev, an Escape Velocity-inspired joint.

Harlander says:

Wait, Redux wasn’t out yet? I could’ve sworn I’d played through it already.

Anyway, I can recommend this. It’s a nice spin on your typical missions-and-exploring space game, and even though you’ll spend a fair bit of time amassing money, the missions and such don’t feel too grindy.

Also, I remember enjoying the soundtrack quite a bit.

4. CartonofMilk says:

wish someone would do a game like this but with the ship creation system of Re-assembly. Loved creating countless ships in re-assembly but eventually i got sick of the shallowness of the rest of the gameplay. To be able to make 2d ships like that in a 2D rpg and elite-like, now that would be amazing.