Have You Played… Eldritch?

Overtly Lovecraftian, subtly Thiefesque, Eldritch [official site] is a glorious experiment in lo-fi stealth-horror.

On one level, it’s a first-person, slow-paced Spelunky. There’s the same sequence of action and consequence that can lead to floors collapsing beneath your feet, creatures seeming to spill out of the walls, and traps either ending or saving your life.

On another level, it’s Thief’s Bonehoard done right. Deep underground in claustrophobic places, hunted by horrors and haunts, you need to listen to every sound and creep around every corner.

On every level, Eldritch is fantastic.

Drib says:

Eldritch was a lot of fun. You could go in balls-to-the-wall and try to kill everything in a rush of fury, but it wouldn’t take you far.

And stealthing around wasn’t easy, but it was at least interesting, and peppered with panicked moments of fleeing.

Game wasn’t perfect, but I had a ton of fun with it.

• pepperfez says:

The moments of panic are so panicky. Especially the first few times through a level when you don’t understand how all the creatures work, every unfamiliar sound or shape feels like an impending disaster.

2. TauPhraim says:

So much more fantastic than same dev’s (I think) Neon Struct, which seems to focus on score only.
    I’m waiting for Eldricht 2 :)

• phlebas says:

Counterpoint: Nah, Neon Struct was ace. Deus Ex distilled into gunless pure stealth, stylised cyber aesthetic with a great mix of slow sneaking and kinetic dash/slide escapes. Quality narrative stuff too.

(I’ll concede it was overly gamified though, and the fact that the collectibles were called geocaches but you didn’t get to locate them with a GPS bothered me unreasonably much.)

• ResonanceCascade says:

Yeah, Neon Struct was my favorite from them. Just a really great minimalist stealth game.

• jj2112 says:

They did Slayer Shock recently but I didn’t enjoy it much.

• keefybabe says:

Yeah, I really wanted to like slayer shock, it’s a great idea and when it was announced my reaction was “how the hell has this not happened before”.

I love eldritch and Neon struct so on occasion I disbelieve that I don’t like slayer shock and try it again.

• ByrdWhyrm says:

I liked Neon Struct a lot, but Eldritch was even better. I love the developer’s commitment to making such interesting and complex lo-fi games.

• KenTWOu says:

I like Neon Struct very, very much, but I have to admit Eldritch was a more coherent game cleverly hiding its limitations. Besides Š•ldritch’s art design is so much better, those Shoggoths are so cute and terrifying at the same time, absolutely adore them.

• caff says:

Neon Struct had such a brilliant soundtrack though. It was everything I wanted from a score for a cyberpunk game.

• April March says:

I didn’t like Neon Struct at all – couldn’t even make it past the demo. That’s because I don’t like stealth games, though.

Conversely, I love Eldritch, even though I don’t like stealth games.

quasiotter says:

Yes, thanks to y’all!

I specifically checked this one out because of the first-person punching. Something about that seems so visceral and intimate, and it is even more so with the humanoid enemies’ grunts and sighs. It is such a turn-on for me.

It’s also very, very scary. It took me around 10 times of quitting in order to have the “courage” to actually try to succeed. I still haven’t yet, due to lizardmen being not nice to my avatar. :(

• reggie geegas says:

Check out Zeno Clash for more first person brawling. 1 is on sale on steam right now, and 2 is available for a dollar in the current humble bundle!

4. jj2112 says:

One day I’ll get around to finishing it, haven’t played it much but it’s a good game, especially if you like Lovecraft. A pity the last game by this developer didn’t turn out so good. And BTW, I may be the only person who thinks Bonehoard was an excellent level.

• Jody Macgregor says:

You’re not the only one who thinks ‘Down In The Bonehoard’ was excellent.

• mmandthetat says:

Definitely one of the most memorable levels I’ve ever played. I can see why people hate it, but it’s unfriendly design just made it even more… gah. I’ll never forget the Bonehoard.

• Javier says:

It was both brilliant and completely unexpected, in that it was tomb raiding done better than in Tomb Raider in a game that was seemingly more focused on stealing from the living.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I’ve played at most 3 or 4 hours of this but had a great time in those few hours. I can still remember my first play through that had me fleeing a fish man only to fall down an unexpected pit resulting in a hard landing and little health. It was such a dynamic moment that felt exactly how one would react in a situation like the game presents.

Should really put some more time into playing.

DantronLesotho says:

I played a fair amount of this and really enjoyed it. It was a lot more consistent and well designed than I first thought, but I was glad to play it. I like this devs’ other games as well. I hope they continue making awesome stuff like this!