EVE: Valkyrie welcoming non-VR players in September

After almost a year strapped to the foreheads of cybergoggleers, EVE: Valkyrie [official site] is coming to regular screens too. The dogfighting spin-off from spacebastard MMO EVE Online will get new maps, ships, and modes with the launch of its free expansion ‘Warzone’ on September 26th, and more importantly will no longer require VR goggles. I’ve quite fancied a go at Valkyrie’s first-person space-dogfighting but am no gogghead so this is splendid news.

Warzone will bring plenty for current goggleers, mind. Here’s the rundown from developers CCP:

“EVE: Valkyrie – Warzone introduces a next-generation fleet of iconic ships – including the new Covert class ship, ‘Shadow’ – each one with their own distinctive role to play in battle. With new weapons – including powerful Ultra abilities – and a fully redesigned progression system for each ship, players will have more control over how they evolve their arsenal to suit their playstyle.

“New to EVE: Valkyrie – Warzone will be the ‘Extraction’ game mode that puts capture-the-flag in outer space for an exhilarating gameplay experience. The Warzone expansion also features two new maps, ‘Fleet’ and ‘Outpost,’ as well as new Wormholes that introduce a fresh challenge each week. Players will also be able to fight for Spoils of War to earn Loot Capsules, enabling them to unlock a hangar-full of personalization options for their ships and pilot.”

EVE: Valkyrie – Warzone is due on September 26th. The launch of Warzone will bring a price cut too, taking Valkyrie from $39.99 to $29.99.

If you’re all gogged up, you might also fancy reading Steven Messner’s bit from EVE Fanfest about CCP’s commitment to VR.

1. CloneWarrior85 says:

The lack of VR players, since only a minority is able to afford said VRs, forced CCP to finally make Valkyrie a non-VR game? About time.

• Beren says:

It’s, by most accounts, a bad game with people deciding their time is better spent in Elite Dangerous or waiting for Star Citizen.

It’s overly arcadeish with no good throttle control. As a result the flight combat becomes loop loopy loop.

Making a 2d port won’t make it a good game.

CCP seems to think they want to make arcade games after their Dust514 fiasco.

I have zero trust in their ability to make that compelling.

• Chaz says:

Or maybe they decided to make it available for non VR players after folks kept asking them too.

It is by no means a bad game at all, just very arcady. It plays more like a coin-op space shooter than say something like Freespace. Personally not my cup of tea, but from the little I played it, it seemed quite a good polished game if you’re into that sort of thing. It’s had a few big updates since I played it, so it can only be better still.

My main problem with it is that’s it’s a multiplayer only title; it could really do with a good single player campaign. Oh and I also understand some pay to win elements have crept in there too; which are never welcome. Fortunately I got the game for free with the Rift, so no biggie for me, but at it’s current price I’d say it was a little bit rich for what it is.

2. Cvnk says:

So this isn’t connected to EVE Online in any way other than thematic? Not like Dust which IIRC tried to have some influence in the space MMO (planet sieges or something)?

Even though I haven’t played EVE in many years (and don’t plan to again) I was kind of hoping they would pull off their plans to integrate multiple games into a single persistent universe.

• haldolium says:

You still have DUST514 remains within EVE (for no reason really, just confuses new people) but this has nothing to do with it.

Since I dont have VR I welcome Valkyre being ported. But after playing EVE for the first and last time the past 3 months, I have extreme doubts that CCP is capable of making something with direct input that feels great.

3. racccoon says:

I can’t see many shits n pilots in this game but it might work out if the shits could fly as well the trailer shows..it could be another failure for ccp with loads of shits in it but i think with the cross platform flying shits might work out for the better, possibly.

• Slazia says:

You realize this game is about spaceships not spaceshits, right?