Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds slowing pace of patching

As mega-hit Battle Royale ’em up Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds [official site] has rolled on through early access, it has mostly kept to its plan to releasing one big content update every month (one was a week late) and smaller tweaky fixy patches every week. That is changing. Developers Bluehole Studio today announced that they’re easing up on the patch pace a little, no longer sticking to that strict schedule, as they found it was making them rush and could cause problems. This is certainly true. One Plunkbat patch earlier this month brought terrible lag problems, which were quickly fixed but sure sucked. I’m okay with a little more caution.

“Today we are changing our patch and update schedule to improve how we work on the game, as well as set realistic expectations for players,” Bluehole said in today’s announcement. They explained:

“We’ve found internally that being rushed to finish certain features, and having shorter QA test time between pushing updates caused more issues than it solved in regards to maintaining a high standard of quality. We want to put our best content out, and ensure that everything we do is making the game more enjoyable with every update.”

For those who want bleeding-edge Plunkbat, Bluehole say they plan to lean on the public test build more, putting patches up for testing for longer and fixing them as necessary.

Bluehole insist that the change to Plunkbat’s patching schedule “will have absolutely no bearing on how much content we deliver, or how much we work on the development of the game,” and that “we are still on-track to release our game as per our updated timeline.”

I’m okay with this. While there are some bits of Plunkbat I want now now now — mostly the climbing and vaulting — I’d rather they be ready than rushed. After that recent lag mess, waiting sounds fine. Plunkbat’s journey through early access has gone more smoothly than many games, and I’d rather it continue being playable.

Oh, speaking of climbing and vaulting, one of Plunkbat’s programmers recently shared a video giving a newer look. He stressed that it’s work-in-progress with placeholder animations, and noted “Vault speed depends on character velocity, added ability to cancel before apex, added forcing vault over climb (if possible), improved geometry detection.” Observe:

Heck yes.

1. bandertroll says:

That a little problem in game, bigger – cheaters, campers and, of course, optimization. But they put they effort into jumping.

• ironman Tetsuo says:

you take all the fun out of angry responses when you put Troll upfront in your username…

• caerphoto says:

Because of course the entire company is only ever working on one thing at a time.

• SaintAn says:

They’re not a company, they’re an indie developer. A greedy, abusive, self important, power tripping, and incompetent, one at that.

• Viral Frog says:

I agree on your point about incompetence. How else would they have managed to develop a game with 500,000 players in-game on a consistent basis? Obviously incompetence is the only answer.

But really, what? The other points may be true, but incompetence is far from it. The game, in it’s current state, is pretty great. To think it’s not even a finished product yet is astounding. I’ve got no doubt that the game will have bugs squashed, “optimization” (stupid term) done, and it will end up polished.

Whatever the devs are, incompetent is not one of those things.

• Meat Circus says:

Just out of interest what’s wrong with camping?

Being a sneaky little fucker is part of what this game is all about. Part of the reason I love it is the way it’s enabled utter cowardice as a successful and viable strategy.

• Viral Frog says:

There is nothing wrong with camping. Given the nature of the game, it makes far less sense to not camp at certain times. By not camping out, you’re really hurting only yourself. And the game also has a way (two, actually) of dealing with people camping for prolonged periods: blue circle and red circle.

• fish99 says:

First person has leveled the playing field a lot IMO, so the non-camping person at least has a decent chance now in a typical house breach scenario. There’s no way to ‘fix’ camping without removing every house, shack and tree though.

It’s also a question of perception. You died running across a field to someone in a house, so you were killed by campers, even though you were headed to the same house to do the same thing. There’s no one who plays the game entirely without using cover.

• Spinkick says:

Camping is not a problem, its part of the game. I get so many top 10’s from patiently stalking (camping?). I guess deer hunting would be considered camping, right? I dont play for other’s amusement, and you are welcome to “camp” too.

Drib says:

Welp the devs have abandoned the game and run off to mexico with all our EA money, plainly.

But seriously, that lag issue sucked. So if they can put more effort into testing and avoid that in the future, good on them.

3. BooleanBob says:

“Brendan, they’re not happy out there. These lag problems have everyone up in arms.”
    “I’m not surprised, Kim. I suppose the champagne water-balloon fight in the server room wasn’t such a great idea after all.”
    “Yes, we’ll have to cut those back to fortnightly, maximum.”
    “So what do we do? Apologise? Hire more engineers? Beg them not to stuff us into leftover straw effigies from the Dean Hall incident?”
    “Don’t be daft. My old man told me never to let a good crisis go to waste. What if we tell them that the lag is caused by us actively developing the game?”
    “Brilliant! That way we can stop putting out patches, and people will think it’s for the better! Help yourself to another Won sombrero and take the rest of the year off!”
    “Don’t mind if I do!”

Drib says:

Wut. They fixed it pretty quick, apologized, and are saying they’re delaying for testing.

I can’t tell if you’re joking or not.

• Vorrin says:

As pleasant a paragraph of writing as this is, fair it really is not :)

4. thischarmingman says:

Speaking of bugs, I had one where all buildings were invisible. But my team mates had no issue. A really useless wallhack, if you will, since I could not navigate buildings very well, and somehow got stuck in the ground :o

5. HothMonster says:

I wish they would give us access to a little firing range like that.

• Vorrin says:

I also so wished for that -_- come on Bluehole, sharing is caring!

6. jman420 says:

yes absolutely a gun range or target practice or something like that so you can get used to the guns a little bit.

7. Verenath says:

Plunkbat …. *sigh* let that go, so dumb. It’s Pubg, the end.

• Ditocoaf says:

I think it’s fun and amusing for RPS to have a nickname for a popular game. It fits the more personal, blog-like style.

They’re not trying to force “Plunkbat” to replace “PUBG” in common usage. There’s no expectation that it’s going to “catch on” with Player Unknown’s Battle Grounds’ ridiculously huge and serious player base. But I’m happy to have a silly thing to call it, and if I ever see someone else call it that, I’ll know they probably read RPS.

• jonahcutter says:

I think the phrase was first coined by a Twitch streamer.

8. Doomlord says:

Yeah, the Plunkbat name is not funny, really. Sorry. It’s PUBG. Give it up. I agree with the other poster here, on that.

• Thants says:

All the over-serious people complaining about a silly joke name make me wonder if they’ve ever read this site before, because they seem to be completely missing the tone of it.

• Koozer says:

These comments remind me of the people who used to comment on League of Legends articles, complaining loudly that they shouldn’t be called MOBAs. Oh and those people who really really seem to care about what’s called a roguelike.

• Daemoroth says:

Not to mention every person who feels the need to point that the headline image is “STAR TREK NOT STAR WARS FFS!!!”, though there have been less of them lately.

• Viral Frog says:

I will always call it Plunkbat. Also, I’m not a fan of your (and others) “everyone is doing this and you’re not, you need to conform” mentality.

kfix says:

Someone calling themselves “Doomlord” should be careful expressing opinions about comedy naming.

9. Moragami says:

The game’s basically been unplayable for me ever since that lag patch. In fact, it actually crashes my PC forcing a reboot every damn time I try to play, and now they’re going to take their time with a fix? Early Access Blues

10. Seyda Neen says:

Plunkbat sounds like an actual word, much better than the caveman grunt “pub-guh”.

• Ditocoaf says:

‘Plunkbat’ is definitely more fun to say. Plunkbat!

People who take the game more seriously might need to call it Pub Gee, but I think it’s a big enough game to sustain more than one name-shortnener.

11. PiiSmith says:

I just want two easy features and I want them badly:
    Proper FPS controls (e.g. aim down sight on a single right click) and a gun range, where I can try out all the guns outside of a match.

• Viral Frog says:

Iron sights on a single right click is already a feature.

12. caff says:

I prefer the name “PUBG” because it’s got the word “PUB” in it, which is a place where you can go and imbibe variously coloured intoxicating liquids on a Friday night, then wake up in a state of disarray and start playing computer games like “PUBG” on a Saturday morning.

Being able to toot your horn is absolutely ****ing amazing, by the way. It shows how all games with vehicles, particular multiplayer ones (I’M LOOKING AT YOU, ROCKET LEAGUE) should have them.