Crackdown 3 delayed into 2018

The open-world supercop superfights of Crackdown 3 [official site] need a little more time to become more super, and so has been delayed. It was due on November 7th but has been pushed back into spring 2018. Before then, it was due in 2016. The delay is because the makers want Crackdown 3 to be a good game but it needs more time, yeah? The usual reason for a delay. The usue. The ushe? The usge? The uzhe? The youzhe? The yuzh? The yoozh? The üse? The /juːʒ/. Point is: Crackdown 3 is delayed because making games is difficult and making good games is moreso.

“[…] we want to make sure to deliver the right game, with the right quality, and at the right time,” The general manager of Microsoft Studios Publishing, Shannon Loftis, told Polygon.

“Crackdown 3 is a hugely ambitious game and we want to ensure we deliver the right experiences all the way through every part of the game,” she said. She highlighted “visual polish” as one task being worked on.

To refresh your memory, Crackdown 3 is a third-person shooter with futurecops duffing up futuregangs across a futurecity. Along the way, you power up until you’re leaping blocks with a single bound and raining inappropriate use of force from above. It does boast multiplayer with some fancy cloud-powered destruction physics from Cloudgine, though the smashing is limited to that online action.

Crackdown has stuck to Xboxen so far but, under Microsoft’s new “Oh computer is game?” policy, will come to Windows 10 too.

Look, explosions and Terry Crews:

Don Reba says:

Worse, making good Windows Store games is impossible.

• Malcolm says:

I might hold my nose and get it anyway if its good. I did love Crackdown. Gives me a bit more time to justify that hardware upgrade too…

• titanomaquis says:

Forza Horizon 3 is pretty great.

Drib says:

I liked Crackdown back in the Xbox days.

But you know, back then “Third person open world” wasn’t quite so flooded. Oh I know there were quite a few, but at this point it’s become the go-to for any general license title as well as its own genre.

What makes the new Crackdown stand out in the ever-growing crowd?

• titanomaquis says:

It seemed like the initial pitch was to have massively destructible environments. Like skyscrapers blowing up. Which sounds cool I guess, and it’s not really being done by other games. With all the delays though, who knows in what ways the direction has changed.

3. AutonomyLost says:

I’m having some goofy, action-packed fun with AoM at the moment, but I’m really just waiting for this new Crackdown to release for my super-powered-law-enforcement fantasy itch to be scratched.

4. axiomatic says:

Make a quality title and you can take until 2019. Sick of rushed out the door games. Hey marketing department… sometimes it’s really not ready! Fuck your schedules.

5. moke says:

The scenery destruction tech as shown in the promos a few years ago looked astonishingly good, almost unbelievably so.

From what I understood at the time, the tech is quite literally too hardware intensive to run on any single console, so they were using P2P to pool processing power as a kind of ‘lag insurance’.

I wonder whether they’re downgrading it for console longevity, hence the delays. For one, I can’t understand how this system would work on, say, the XBone two years after release, when only a handful of folk are still playing the game regularly.

Unless of course this is the best game ever and we will all play it, exclusively, until we die.