Shenmue 3 picks up Deep Silver as publisher

With the development saga of Shenmue 3 [official site] now creeping up on sixteen years, hey, here’s another little bit of good news. After getting the ball rolling with crowdfunding, the RPG has now secured a publisher. Developers Ys net today announced that they’ve signed up with Deep Silver, the folks who publish such series as Saints Row and Metro. Having the technical and financial support of a publisher will surely be helpful for such a big life-sim-o-fight-a-RPG, especially considering the crowdfunding has only raised a fraction of the amount the first game reportedly cost – supposedly it was, in its day, the most expensive game ever made.

“I am very pleased to secure this global partnership with Deep Silver, which is comprised of incredible men and women who have a deep passion for bringing Japanese titles to the rest of the world,” director Yu Suzuki said in today’s announcement.

“Throughout this process, Deep Silver has expressed a deep passion for Japanese games, the Shenmue franchise and its fans—this gives me further confidence in Shenmue III and that we have found the best partner possible.”

Deep Silver’s precise role on Shenmue 3 isn’t clear yet, but we can guess bits. As well as providing cash, publishers are often helpful for their connections and expertise in everything from testing to localisation. Both of these will likely be important for Shenmue 3. And while Deep Silver sometimes serve simply as publisher on a game’s physical or console releases, playing a lesser role as they did with crowdfunded adventure game Dreamfall Chapters, for Shenmue III they’re publishing digital and physical on PC and console so they’re definitely well into it.

Anyway. In short: Shenmue 3 is still on the way, and now has more support. It’s currently expected to launch in the second half of 2018.

1. Seafoam says:

I hope they emphasise the things that made Shenmue great. It wasn’t the fighting, it was the world that felt so real. Gashapons and vending machines, feeding the cat, talking to every single townsfolk, those were the things I enjoyed the most.

It was not the big things, it was the culmination of ALL the little things.

You felt like you could do everything, even if there were limits, it was so easy to ignore them that they almost weren’t there. If they go make it into another “just a fighting game” then it wont feel like Shenmue I say. It’s all about getting your allowance from Ine-san, feeding the cat, and making sure youre home on time like a good boy (oh, and avenge your dad I guess).

• Flopper says:

As soon as I read Deep Silver my brain said “RIP Shenmue 3”.

• dashausdiefrau says:

I wouldn’t mind more fighting in place of airing books and moving crates around…

2. CloneWarrior85 says:

Here’s hope it lives as a true follow up of the last game.

3. SaintAn says:

Never played the first two. Would be nice if they released them on PC before this one. I hate playing sequels without playing the games that came before so it’s very unlikely I’ll buy this.

• Michael Anson says:

Ys understands the difficulty of getting people to play a conclusion to a trilogy without knowing the other two games, so Shenmue 3 will be including a movie covering the story of the first two games.

• dashausdiefrau says:

The original 2 games were a bit filler heavy, so It is easy to pick up the story if that matters, and the first 2 games had very little connection to each other, so if they are in their right mind they continue with this tradition and don’t move the story back to Yokosuka, but to some other location.

Don Reba says:

You can easily play them on a Dreamcast emulator.

4. captaincabinets says:

I really, really want to see Rab Florence do the Wot I Think for this game.

5. TotallyUseless says:

Seconda half of 2018? Isn’t that too fast? Wouldn’t mind seeing this later on 2019 as long as it looks good, plays good, feels good and is good. After all, it’s rare to have epic Japanese games on PC.

6. Maxheadroom says:

Like most people my age ive a lot of affection for the first 2 (although im not sure I finished either of them?) so got caught up in the hype train and backed this straight away.

But looking back through their updates its all “We’ve partnered with X publisher” or “we wont be attending Y trade show”. All very light on actually progress updates, which is worrying

Don Reba says:

Also worrying are the thumbnail-sized photoshopped screenshots.