Absolver will add more modes and moves after launch

I was already ‘jazzed’, ‘stoked’, and ‘ziffed’ for the launch of open-world fighting game Absolver [official site] later this month, and now the weeks beyond that are sounding good too. New fighting styles and moves will arrive in free content updates after launch, developers Sloclap and publishers Devolver Digital announced yesterday, as well as features like a 3v3 mode and spectating. In a game where every player builds their own fighting style from different stances and attacks, I’d certainly like to safely watch other people’s technique.

Absolver, to refresh your memory, is a action-RPG sort of fighting game, travelling through a beautiful land to learn new skills and duff people up. Along with kicking in NPCs, we can duff up other players, or team up with ’em, or even form mentor/student partnerships to learn and borrow moves.

Here, this new trailer cuts into the multiplayer side:

It is so pretty.

The content updates should start rolling 4-8 after launch, Devolver tell us. As for what to expect:

“Through extensive testing and a closed beta, early players have requested features like 3 versus 3 mode, ranked matches, and a spectator mode to watch the action and jump in when it is your turn to battle. These three features will be some of the first implemented in a series of free content updates alongside new Combat Styles and moves for players’ Combat Decks.”

More new bits are planned too, though under wraps for now.

Absolver is coming to Steam on August 29th, priced at £22.99/29,99€/$29.99.

While I’m here and vidblasting, hey, check out this recent vid showing some of the stylin’ outfits we’ll get to create:

So very pretty.

1. Flopper says:

Gonna wait for after release to even consider this. Still healing from For Honor. Need to know the combat system is completely balanced and not exploitable like For Honor.

For fucks sake. Someone won the official Ubisoft For Honor tournament using a known exploit. And still got the prize money. Then asked them not to patch the game as he was shaking their hands.

• Gomer_Pyle says:

I got to play Absolver in the beta, and overall the combat seemed pretty balanced. Of course there were certain moves that a lot of people would use, but nothing that seemed too OP or broken. The devs have also re-balanced some things since the beta based on players’ feedback, including some moves, so I think it will be pretty good at launch.

2. GomezTheChimp says:

I`m intrigued at the prospect of playing as a `worrier`.

3. DudeshootMankill says:

This might be a day 1 buy for me. This is a first for a game that isnt Dark Souls really. Please please be as great as you look Absolver.

4. Sleazy_Pete says:

Got to spend some time in the beta and it’s easily got my $30. Crunchy theorycrafting/deckbuilding and most importantly the moment-to-moment experience is fun as hell. My initial impression was “damn this has a sharp learning curve” but it makes climbing that curve enjoyable and the challenge-to-payoff ratio is around where it needs to be. Gonna lose some hours to this one.

5. nullward says:

If you want to get a real taste of the gameplay, Devolver Digital has been heavily streaming the game. They stream every Tuesday and Thursday. The first few:

link to twitch.tv

Of course, if you’re already hooked, you might want to avoid the spoilers (especially yesterday’s, since they show some boss fights). But if you’re on the fence, you can see a lot of the basics of how the game works. And how cool it looks.

6. Darth Gangrel says:

This game has singleplayer it says on GoG’s storepage, but it’s obviously geared towards multiplayer, so I’m gonna wait until I get it, if I get it at all.

7. SaintAn says:

Sadly I doubt it will be anywhere near as good as Age of Wushu, so I’ll likely be disappointed due to my high standards for a martial arts game.

Don Reba says:

I wish there was something more to it than just arena fighting. Based on pre-beta marketing, I expected it to be an MMO.