The Foxer

“The thing about cloud sculpting is you’ve got to work quickly. I generally use a Vector K280 quadcopter fitted with 8” whiskers and 10” trails. The K280 can dart like a kingfisher and generates minimal wash thanks to those beautifully integrated fenestrons. In perfect conditions I reckon to carve a RAF WW2 barrage balloon in around 30 minutes. One of my trademark Short Sunderlands obviously takes a little longer – maybe an hour – and depending on the cloud fabric may involve some detail work with semi-autonomous K160s.”

Roman says he came up with the following enlargeable geofoxer while waiting to cross a road with a dental hygienist. When I asked him what you get when you cross a road with a dental hygienist, he smiled for the first time in a week*.

To defox simply tell me what notable landmark or object would be in view if you ‘looked right’ in each of the twelve pictured locations.

*Roman’s previous smile occurred on August 9th. He was watching the IAAF World Championships when he happened to notice that the hammers in the hammer throw were returned to their owners by a little RC van driven by a cartoon dog.

*       *       *

SOLUTIONS

Last week’s collage theme: Jane Austen’s Emma (defoxed by Gothnak)

a Strawberry plant (Wandering Taoist)
b DP-28 LMG magazine (phlebas)
c HMS Weymouth (unacom, phlebas)
d Letter tiles (Stugle, Gothnak)
e Czech crown (Wandering Taoist)
f Broadwood’s Folly, Box Hill (mrpier)
g Augusta National Golf Club (unsolved)
h Mary Spencer-Churchill (Lazzars, phlebas)
i Romani flag (Lazzars)
j Martin P4M Mercator (Numptydumpty, Julhelm)
k Arsenal stadium, Highbury (unsolved)
l ‘Matchmaker’ John Edvard Lundström (AbyssUK)

1. Gothnak says:

C: CERNE ABBAS GIANT (Thanks P.R Elford Plumbing from Dorchester)

2. Stugle says:

F is the Brooks Catsup Bottle Water Tower in Collinsville, IL (thanks due to the Dwight Kay election poster, I was able to pinpoint Illinois’s 112th district as the location): link to en.wikipedia.org

phuzz says:

G is the Globe theatre in that there London.
    (approx position)

• Rorschach617 says:

Rorschach617: Methinks thou hast beaten me, Sirrah. And I am nought but a scalded knave!

phuzz says:

I have only just found out that Gibraltar isn’t an island. I knew it was near Spain, I didn’t realise they were part of the same landmass.

5. Gothnak says:

B is in France i believe as it has the yellow ticket machines which they have at the Gare Du Nord. Unless they are Eurostar ones…

6. mrpier says:

H is the Monument to the Portuguese soldiers fallen in Africa during the Portugese colonial wars, in Lisbon.

phuzz says:

J is Anzac cove in Turkey, the picture is from the Ari Burnu cemetery near by.

8. Gothnak says:

J: ANZAC COVE, TURKEY

link to google.co.uk

9. mrpier says:

I is Matsumoto Castle in Japan.

10. Gothnak says:

So, what’s left…

A: Some kind of British Overseas Territory? Only St Helena flies the Full Union Jack.
    D: An awful hedge based ufo…
    E: Looks somewhere popular, somewhere hot… Maybe Thailand or Malaysia?
    K: A Bridge… Aren’t these always in Belgium or the Netherlands? :)
    L: A statue of a merchant looking chap with an anchor at his feet. Spell Centre as Center and people look European, methink Belgium or Netherlands again…

In short, no idea.

• Rorschach617 says:

L: The cars under the flyover are driving on the left, so I would say UK or Ireland.

Also, the couple by the statue. What’s more British than sitting on a statue and enjoying the fact that the sun is finally out from behind a cloud. There might even be a cheese sandwich in the bag! :)

But the car’s rear numberplate appears to be white…

phuzz says:

What’s confusing me, is behind the statue is a sign ending -enter which looks like a shopping centre.
        So we’re looking for somewhere where they don’t care about spelling centre correctly.

• Stugle says:

Could it simply be ‘Enter’, as opposed to ‘Exit’? Though, granted, ‘Entrance’ would be more likely in that scenario…

• Gothnak says:

Unless the road is a one way street?

• Gothnak says:

‘What’s more British than sitting on a statue and enjoying the fact that the sun is finally out from behind a cloud.’ – Being German apparently :).

• Stugle says:

Given the amount of rust on display (and the lack of a generous dedicated bike path), I don’t think that bridge is in the Netherlands. :)

phuzz says:

Ok, my guesses:
      A) Wherever it is, there’s plenty of small islands in the background, so not St Helena.
      D) My first guess was Roswell, but I’ve had a good look and can’t spot it there. Also, all the pictures in Roswell have clear skies, no clouds.
      E) Some kind of visitor centre set up so you can look down over something?
      K) Looks European to me, and something has been censored in the middle of the road (zoom in on the hires version). Also, to the left of the bridge, is that a pillbox?
      L) Looks British to my mind, although the blue tourist information board(?) in the background could be Irish. I’ve looked in a bunch of UK cities so far, but no luck.

• Gothnak says:

E looks strangely like a prison, it has what looks a bit like a guard tower in white, and then a massive depressing looking concrete wall around it.

phuzz says:

K) The ex-U Boat docks in Saint-Nazaire here.
    Or the point of interest might be the dry dock that was the target of Operation Chariot, but you can’t really see that from the bridge.

12. Stugle says:

I haven’t found the exact picture yet, but I believe E is the visitor center at the Miraflores Locks on the Panama Canal.

phuzz says:

Stugle has it! Although google maps seems to keep crashing for me around there.

• Stugle says:

Lots of individual 360-degree photo bubbles, no “real” streetview, and the geo-location seems to be a bit wonky. I -think- I’ve looked at almost all of them, but I’ve missed the exact match.

13. Gothnak says:

L: Christopher Columbus in Bremerhaven, side on is a Wilhelm Bauer U-Boot, or the Schiffart Museum, whatever that is :).. (Shipping Museum)

link to google.co.uk

• Rorschach617 says:

Well done!

You must have gone through SO MANY statues to find that one :)

• Gothnak says:

Lol, it was Christopher Columbus, Bronze, Statue, Folded, Google Search, 6 rows down.

Tbh, it was fine once i worked out it was Columbus.

• Rorschach617 says:

The clothes on the statue looked early Renaissance and the anchor suggested a seaman. He was not in any uniform, so not a Naval officer.

I had it down to Columbus, Vasco Da Gama or John Cabot, but after a few pages of the wrong statue of Columbus (and some statues in Columbus, Ohio), I gave up.

• Stugle says:

Because Christopher Columbus has an obvious connection to Bremerhaven (alright, I’m just peeved because I looked at at least half a dozen statues of Chris in the US, and then I moved on the John Cabot on an ill-advised hunch that I should look at English history, and I was just getting ready to go wholesale into two centuries of Portuguese explorers).

Well done!

• Gothnak says:

It was the hat that did it tbh, i was just searching for Explorer Statues and he was the most similar.