What are we all playing this weekend?

Here’s a game I call Reboot, Remake, Rip Off. It works like Flip, Marry, Kill but with video games and without putting your genitals near anything, being more about which of the options you would most like to see rebooted, remade, and widely copied from, yeah? Let’s start with some neglected first-person shooters.

Reboot, remake, rip off: Red Faction, F.E.A.R., and Sin?

Answers and arguments in the comments, gang.

What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on.

Adam: I’ll be playing “pack my bags and prepare to head to Gamescom”, but I’m hoping to find time for Tacoma as well since I’ve been meaning to play it for a couple of weeks now. Chances are, if I do find time for a game it’ll be West of Loathing though. I’ve only played for a couple of hours and I spent every minute laughing hard enough to break a rib. So much laughter that I couldn’t breathe, forcing me to play for a maximum of two minutes at any one time.

(it’s actually more of a gentle chuckle and constant grin kind of game and I like it very much)

Alec: I’m playing something super-secret that’s definitely not turn-based, doesn’t have a single alien in it and in no way features any of the cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Nothing at all like any of that, no siree.
Alice: I’m off to a wedding this weekend so I’ll be playing at impressing my friends’ relatives and trying to pass some outrageous lies as true stories. That’s some sort of dialogue puzzle game, right. The fact that I always win means it must be a game.
Brendan: [Brendan is still away but will be back next week, I swear. If you think you’ve seen his shoes in John’s garden you haven’t so drop it, okay -ed.]
Graham: I haven’t played a game in weeks, owing to first moving house and then to the fun of exploring where I now live. I think that’ll probably continue, but I can tell you some sweet, game-related lies, if it will make you feel better. About how I’ll finally be making time for something shooty-blam, like Wolfenstein: The New Order or LawBreakers or maybe Dying Light. Mm.
John: I took this week off, which involved playing no games on my PC other than Picross things while watching TV shows. I hope, should the mad tornado that is my almost-3-yo afford me the tiniest of gaps, continue to do exactly the same.

I keep thinking about playing No Man’s Sky some more, with its major update, but then I remember my completely maxed out, top-end ship and the inevitable crushing anticlimax of having been able to buy it after idiotic numbers of hours of play, and find I just can’t find it within me to want to play again.

Philippa: This weekend I will be playing Deadly Premonition. I might also visit the fashion museum. If there’s time I might try to fit in a spot of corralling some carnivorous plants.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. Spacewalk says:

I’m currently trying to get into No Man’s Sky. It’s taking a while though. There’s gotta be a good game in here somewhere but I’m up to my waist in bullshit already and there’s still a lot more to shovel.

Iamblichos says:

Yes, I’ve spent the week trying to get to the new content, and I can’t seem to figure out how to do so. Standard mode basically hands you everything; survival mode is nonsensically punishing. Ships all handle like three legged pigs with epilepsy, no matter how many extras you load them up with – if something is shooting at you, you’re basically going to die. I can’t figure out how to get base or start any of the new content. *shrug*

2. Someoldguy says:

Some more West of Loathing, with a little dash of Tunnels & Trolls Adventures on the mobile. The latter gives me a huge rush of nostalgia for my earliest days of PnP roleplaying. Not many adventures on the app yet, but hopefully it will expand the number and fix a couple of minor niggles before it appears on Steam.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

WoL here as well. I’m on my second playthrough, and aiming to unlock as many hidden achievements as possible this time around. My beanslinger, Aleister Duckly, has enthusiastically thrown himself into necromancy, and in the process has amassed a big collection of penalties as his body withers away. But at least he has skellington friends now!

Also, Gary is adorable, and if you haven’t played WoL with him as your pardner, I would definitely recommend starting up a new game.

• floogles says:

Tunnels and trolls looks very good, just like old d&d, installing now.

3. bills6693 says:

Well, Castle Story has released from early access, its in a pretty good state (a few minor bugs but nothing very big that I’ve found) and has had a lot added to it, so that’s my main focus at the moment.

Otherwise, Stellaris has been catching my eye again but with the release of the new expansion in a couple of weeks probably, I’m minimizing my time with that to save up for Synthetic Dawn.

Total Warhammer is a usual go-to and with the expansion on the horizon I’m back into the original in anticipation. Ultimate General: Civil War has been good and am slowly plodding away at a confederate campaign, which I’m finding challenging but in a rewarding way. Transport Fever received an update a few weeks ago and I’ve been playing a bit of that and finally, Interplanetary: Enhanced Edition is a ton of fun and I have a couple of friends who play so if we’re all around at the same time a game of that will probably slip in there over the next few days too!

4. Carra says:

I’m close to finishing wasteland 2. Surprisingly I’m having much more fun with it then with Mass effect Andromeda.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

It’s not difficult. I found myself leaving Andromeda for replaying New Vegas for the nth time.

5. kwyjibo says:

I’ve got an Xbox One controller arriving today, so going to catch up on more controllery things like Owlboy.

And a bit of duelyst of course.

6. fuggles says:

Reboot chaos engine
    Remake Terra Nova
    Rip off supreme commander to make wh40k epic.

I’m working or working on soulstorm mods I imagine. Sigh.

Also sin? None of those, just continue what was started, then move onto continuing fakk2.

The Almighty Moo says:

West of Loathing for me, based solely on the Wot I Think on this very site. Enjoying it very much.

8. nattydee says:

Heading towards 200+ hours in long war 2. Holy fuck is it a good time, but frustrating when you lose the meta and take 20+ hours to realize it.

Grizzly says:

I have re-installed my computer and want to do some driving, so I’m currently downloading a car.

10. Rainshine says:

Reboot: Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit. I want a racing game about high-speed car chases, with no plot, spike strips, and highway ramp jumping. Train collisions are a bonus.
    Remake: While my first instinct is SMAC, it feels a bit like trying to improve on Chocolate Peanut Butter pie, so I’ll go with Arcanum.
    Rip off: Hard to say. Probably CK2. I don’t know how, but I want more games that makes me feel like I’m an observer of a story on what’s going on anyways, without my intervention. That doesn’t really convey the whole feeling, but…

11. Chorltonwheelie says:

Started a second run through of Dishonoured 2 as Emily. After systematically murdering my way through every soldier, civilian, servant, dog and rat in every district as Corvo I’m demonstrating my sincere regret by killing nothing and no one. The future of the Ilse’s is bright.

• Clipz says:

How’s the performance holding up now? Absolutely loved the first game and bought the second shortly after release but it was next to unplayable for me, I know much has been done to fix it but have been out of the loop for a while, last I heard was that it was just luck whether it played nicely or not.

basilisk says:

It seems to be a bit random. Mostly playable with a GTX 760 (though some levels were really stretching it), but there really is something wrong deep down; every now and then I got weird inexplicable slowdowns in areas that didn’t seem at all complicated to render. I also had to lock it to 30 FPS because keeping it unlocked meant the FPS was constantly jumping all over the place and it was rather nauseating.

In any case, there’s a demo on Steam, so better try that. The opening location won’t tell you much about what performance will be like in the much more complicated later levels, but the first proper mission is a decent enough indicator.

(Sadly, I didn’t like the game at all, though it does have absolutely fantastic level design.)

basilisk says:

Oh wait you already own it. Never mind.

In that case, the performance is supposedly better than on launch, but it’s still not entirely smooth. But it’s not going to get any better, anyway.

• fish99 says:

I don’t think it’s random, more that some people notice the frame drops and stutters more than others. Some people are happy with 40 fps average, others complain as soon as a game drops to 55 fps.

The game definitely doesn’t run great though, but it’s totally playable now.

• Vandelay says:

I would agree with this. I have a 1070 running at 1440p. I maxed it mostly out, if I recall, with the exception of the very expensive options like high AA. It was definitely dipping into the 40s on occasion, but it was 60 for the majority of the time. Certainly noticeable, but not so much to dent my enjoyment.

12. ocelotwildly says:

Hoping to get a good way further through Hollow Knight when I get the chance. Goodness me that game is something special. It seems sappy to say it, but the sense of discovery that comes from the atmosphere and world building makes even me, a cynical husk of a man, feel like I’m a kid on my summer holidays again.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

It’s way underrated. One of the best metroidvanias in years.

13. Alice O'Connor says:

I’m realising that the rules of Flip, Marry, Kill are less widely known than I’d assumed.

• MiniMatt says:

Let’s see if I understand the format then. Sticking to FPS:

Reboot: Not sure, kinda think taking Rainbow 6 back to the start again might be good, but get the idea the latest one has done that to some extent with some success. edit: oooh, or Battlefield 2142, remains quite unique and was last one I was any good at

Remake: AVP – the good one from the olden days. I know they keep trying to remake it. One day they’ll get it right.

Rip-off: Planetside 2 – we need more massively multiplayer shooters. I stand a chance of hitting someone when there’s 500 of you.

• dahools says:

I think you are supposed to stick to the 3 games mentioned above by Alice. Then order them accordingly and justify. Not bring in your own 3 games.
        Next week she will give you 3 new games to pick from. ;)

Having only played Red faction though I will choose that for my remake. I seem to remember lots of destruction of walls with C4

• MiniMatt says:

Ahhh! Of course :) In that case, having also only played Red Faction, I concur with your Remake choice.

I wonder if finding three games which a sizeable audience have played in a given genre might prove a hindrance.

• Imbecile says:

I suspect its more to do with the fact that talking about what you are playing takes up a reasonable amount of typing, everyone is used to it, and everyone likes it. The flip, marry avoid thang is a totally worth asking, but maybe as its own post?

• Vilos Cohaagen says:

^^ this. I love this post as a weekly way of finding out about all sorts of games i could play (some i even already own). Be nice to keep it focused.

• Shinard says:

I didn’t think everyone else was playing right…

The Almighty Moo says:

Kill Sin, marry Fear and flip Red Faction.

But if you must have it your way Alice I reckon it’s probably Rip off Red Faction for destroying things, remake FEAR and reboot Sin…if you really must.

• Vandelay says:

I would probably reboot Red Faction, as that has drifted away into a third person game and could do with going back to its original idea of a fairly linear FPS shooter with destructible levels opening up multiple routes and ways to approach situations.

Rip off would go to FEAR, as gunplay in that was incredible, with loads of effects going on around the place. Very few games seem to go for that, instead going down the protagonists face being like a camera, throwing lens flares, smearing things on the screen and the like rather than more appropriate effects that FEAR used. Plus, the melee stuff worked really well, without being too overbearing.

So, that leaves remake being Sin. I would be cool with that. It comes from an era when FPS games were great, which I never have a problem with developers revisiting with games like Shadow Warrior. Creating a highly interactive environment now could add some interesting gameplay elements to an FPS too, whereas the original Sin just used it more for flavour, as I recall. (I wouldn’t mind seeing FEAR being remade either though. Outside of the effects during gunfights it has graphically aged really badly, despite being a real looker at release.)

14. Crafter says:

This might make me some sort of heretic but I am having a lot of fun with my Switch.

Currently Splatoon 2 is where my fun is at.

I would recommend anybody interested in online shooters to try it, it has some very interesting game design. There are so many things to say about the ink mechanics alone.

Every mechanic of the game feels like it has been very well thought out and forms a cohesive experience that feels so very different from something like Counter Strike.
    Shooting other people is often secondary to controlling the terrain.

• Kitsunin says:

That’s cool. It’d be nice to not have to overpay for a Switch.

• LennyLeonardo says:

I’m currently playing Breath of the Wild on a 4 1/2 hour train journey. I don’t regret overpaying for my Switch at all.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Also, how is it overpriced? Because it doesn’t have as many graphics?

• Pich says:

because it’s unavailable in a lot of ploaces and those who have it have a huge markup on the price.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

So don’t buy from scalpers.

• Kitsunin says:

Wow. You make it sound so easy. It’s not. Believe me, I tried to get one for list price during the two weeks I was in the US, but it was impossible. And here in Taiwan they are literally charging the scalper price at retailers.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Sorry Kits, I was being a bit of a knob. I really hate Nintendo scalpers. They’re a bunch of pricks who feel the need to wipe their shit over things people love.

Just be patient! You may even luck out and get a discounted bundle by the time you can get your hands on one.

• Vandelay says:

Because apparently Nintendo consoles should be sold at half the price of every other console. The same complaining happened when the Wii U was released, despite it being the first console that Nintendo were selling at a loss.

Not really sure why people keep saying this though. The power of the machine itself may not be as comparable to other systems, but there is a lot of tech going on elsewhere with the Switch (same with the Wii U too.)

jssebastian says:

I think most people are ok with the switch’s list price, it’s just that you can’t get it at that price without some serious stalking of retailers. I would probably have one by now if I could walk into a store and impulse-buy it…

Graham Smith says:

I love my Switch and am happy with what I paid for it, but the price of the extra joycons and pro controller is ~nuts~.

15. Solgarmr says:

Darkwoood, now that it is finally out. Well soon as I get some work done first.

16. NetharSpinos says:

Reboot: F.E.A.R. In a strange way I do sort of miss those creepy Alma-induced nightmares.
    Remake: Sin, perhaps as some sort of future police procedural simulator?
    Rip off: Red Faction, for that delicious physics destruction engine.

As for WAWAPTW, I am mostly playing the Winterooth tribe in Total Warhammer and starting a fledgling coloney of tribals in Rimworld. Against my better judgement I am reinstalling XCOM 2, and I am impatiently waiting for Twar 2 & Divinity: Original Sin 2.

Also contemplating buying Prey for a good FPS to sink my teeth into.

jssebastian says:

I’m deep in my first playthrough of xcom 2 (on easy mode, but going in blind without any strategy guides to know what buildings or research or enemies do what before I try them out), and loving it. It’s so much better than xcom 1, which was a great reboot but in the end did not have a fun difficulty curve, and relied too much on enemies randomly teleporting into the mission (a crappy mechanic on which the entire last mission was based!). The new one feels a lot more unpredictable and varied with nasty surprises that mostly don’t feel unfair, and the time limits plus conceal mechanic really force a more fun playstyle than the boring “creep forward” that was typically the optimal, low risk strategy in xcom 1.

That said, the conceal mechanic of xcom 2 does not quite work 100% when only a few rangers are concealed, because you never know how close rest of squad can move to enemies before the enemies are “activated”… I think the enemy activation mechanic is the one design relic that they should somehow find a way to retire.

17. stringerdell says:

the division is free this weekend so ill jump into that and have a look i reckon

18. FlyingWhales says:

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I’m enjoying it a lot more than I expected, especially after reading so many underwhelmed opinions on the game. While I can’t shake the feeling I’m just playing a prettied up Human Revolution expansion, it’s still an immersive, plenty fun time with quite a lovely art style and aesthetic.

19. SuperJonty says:

Prey, the whole Prey, and nothing but the Prey. Except when Prey is Dead Cells.

20. svge says:

Rip off F.E.A.R for it’s enemy behaviour.

Remake red faction because I never played it

Reboot sin because I never played it.

21. fiendling says:

I’ve completed all I can of Tower of Time, now on to Darkwood. I have held off on playing Darkwood until it left EA to avoid a compromised experience. Now I am really looking forward to diving in.

22. Jumpy142 says:

Still just slogging through the Borderlands DLCs with my girlfriend. Think we’re getting close, but you can never be sure with this game.

23. TrentTech says:

Reboot: F.E.A.R. – With today’s tech it could be awesome action and scary as hell.
    Remake: Sin – Complete like-for-like remake of the original Sin would be awesome, DOS prompts and all.
    Rip-off: Red Faction – The original, take it’s original dynamic geo-mod tech, it’s heat vision, it’s rail gun, all of that and put it in a new game not held back by the Red Faction franchise and the direction it moved into.

24. Shinard says:

Remake Sin, the graphics stand up least well today.
    Reboot Red Faction, the world’s great and I would love to run around Mars again knocking down walls with a sledgehammer.
    Rip off F.E.A.R., for gods sake somebody needs to rip off the A.I. Nothing else was spectacular, though the horror bits were good, but somebody needs to rip off that A.I.

And I got back into Skyrim recently, so that’s what I’m playing this weekend. Running through as an Orc with two handed weapons and heavy armour, and trying to make a decent living as a smith. And I never explored the Dwarven ruins, so I’m doing that now.

I’ve been meaning to go back into Hearthstone as well, to check out the new expansion. I always loved the adventures, so I’m looking forward to taking on Arthas.

25. lagiacrux says:

trying to finish trails of cold steel. enjoying the game very much. interesting combat, all the anime tropes and the story seems pretty well. but the best part imho is the insane worldbuilding. its so dense with characters and little stories to discover i love it.

IF i manage to finish it finally i will give hellblade a try. heart intersting stuff about it.

• Kitsunin says:

The Legend of Heroes games are so good at world-building! The NPC chatter is like yummy little snacks you get to eat between the big story events.

26. Singular says:

Attempting to get into Civ6, again…

Is there something wrong with me? Civ has been like the game of my life. I played Civ to Civ4, spent over 20 years loving this series, but just lost it at number 5 and can’t get it back :(

I want it back.

• AngoraFish says:

Same, although I had a pretty decent go at V.

I think the problem for me is that every iteration of the game just further extends and enhances the late game drag, as if the problem with the second part of the game can be solved though continuously adding even more make-work.

I dream of a day where someone takes a giant knife to everything in Civ after 1900 and tosses that entire heap of putrid offcuts into the bin.

• JimFalkayn says:

I didn’t care for Civ 6. Played it a few times and went back to Civ 5 before last DLC. Discovered Civ with no. 2 and I’m disappointed that it went bad for me with 5 DLC and 6.

jssebastian says:

Same here, I loved civs 1 through 4 in increasing amounts, and especially like 4. Then I bought civ 5 in a pricy bundle with all the expansions and bounced right off it after 9 hours of play, could not figure out a strategy to follow, too much complexity going on.

I’ve been wondering if mistake was trying to start with all the expansions (which is too complicated), if the game is just more complex than the previous installments, or if it’s just that I don’t have the time/patience for this kind of thing anymore.

• Blastaz says:

Same, except they started to lose me with four when they began to allow you to go deep, not wide.

I really really should give six a try, but I just get distracted by an old total war.

On which note today I will be playing Europa barborioum 2…

27. Glubber says:

Eternal Card Game has me in its grip at the moment.

28. AutonomyLost says:

I’ll mainly be playing Agents of Mayhem, possibly some Titanfall 2, and I may decide to try out Lawbreakers.

29. SaintAn says:

TW Warhammer Norsca. Total War has had vikings before, but holy crap, TW Warhammer Norsca puts them to shame and captures the spirit of vikings. Attila’s AoC xpac viking faction feel like some pre-alpha version of vikings compared to how well they’re done with the Norsca faction. I can’t even decide which god to pledge myself to. I’m wanting to go Crow/Nurgle, but I want to do the others too. That’s going to force me to replay this faction a lot. Was watching The Last Kingdom to keep on theme, but I finished it so I’m probably going to rewatch Vikings again soon.

Also bought the Sims 4 and Titanfall so I’m playing a bit of them. Need to find mods for Sims still.

And since it’s currently Mid-Summer I’m thinking of finally playing Firewatch. I like to play games during the season that fits them best, cuz I’m weird. (I have so many games I’m waiting to play during Autumn)

Rereading Sandman too, and still reading the Malus Darkblade Warhammer books to get ready for the Dark Elves. Going to be sad if they don’t add him and Alith Anar later. They’re some of my favorite characters, and I think Alith killed Malus in the End Times-garbage-that-really-isn’t-lore, so I want them to face off with their own King and the Warlord type of DLC.

Grizzly says:

Hey, if you liked the Last Kingdom’s tv series, there’s also an entire book series by Bernard Cromwell, the Warrior Chronicles, on which the BBC series is based on. ’tis quite good.

• SaintAn says:

Thanks, I’ll have to look into them. I heard development time on the show is really long so it’ll be nice to have a faster alternative.

30. Ben King says:

I can’t speak to Sin, but REBOOT: Fear, and RIPOFF: Red Faction- shooting through walls with weird lo-fi scopes and getting through doors by making new doors with a handful of rockets was good good fun and seems like a no brainer to elaborate on in clever ways.
    Traveling by Amtrak across most of Illinois to view the eclipse today so it’s DONSOL on the train, a second Witcher novel to read and the most recent Electronic Wireless Show. I might spectate while my sister plays some No Man’s Sky as well?

31. The Bitcher III says:

I have no strong feelings either way.

Come midnight I will be ploughing through the remainder of the v. good. Lovecraft tribute Conarium. For a game selling for a tenner a few months after launch, that garnered almost no publicity, a suprising amoung of craft and visual artistry is present. It’s a good story and game. It needs finishing so I can get onto other single player storys like Hellblad Senua , >Observer_ , Get Even .

During daylight hours, I’mma have a look at Slime Rancher. Or Rime. Or finally get round to Prey – loved what I’ve seen but backed out to wait patches and ‘the right moment’. I see a tonne of patches for Rez Infinite., so maybe it’s time to pull the trigger on that.

Having said all that I really, really must finish Dishonored 2.

If that’s not a surfeit of choice, what I really want to play is the intriguing Subsurface Circular.

Decisions, divisions. No time to waste. Over and out.

32. SigmaCAT says:

My backlog reads:

1- Darkwood. So good! The Silent Hill / Stalker mix works wonders. And the survival mechanics serve the story, so it’s not just another crafting game. I really love it, it makes for amazing horror moments.

2- La-Mulana. Finally beat more than 2 bosses, and starting to get the feel of it. The music is so good!

3- Axiom Verge. I already finished it, but I haven’t seen the high % ending. Really love the level design and music. The world is really cool.

And I also tried Sonic Mania, which is great, it is really at home on the Switch. I’m completely lost in every level but I guess that’s the sonic motto.

Reboot: Sid Meier’s Pirates would be great with a bit more diversity in the mini-games and some pimped out graphics. Really love this game, I can take it out for a spin every two years and it’s always so fresh.

Remake: Deadly Premonition. If someone had the guts to re-edit this game, trashing all of the shooting and replacing it with better driving and animation it would be one of the best games ever.

Rip-off: The nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor! I want to see any game reuse this genius piece of design.

33. Catterbatter says:

I’ll be dipping a toe in Ben Chandler’s PISS.

34. fish99 says:

Been playing bits and pieces of on odd collection of games this week. Some Conan Exiles, some Rocket League, a bunch of UT2004, a bit of the original UT, the new UT, and some UT3. UT is still fun, and I’m better at it at 43 than I was at 33 or 23, which is nice. I mostly play DM instagib and a bit of CTF instagib.

This weekend though I’m (slightly) determined to get back into The Witcher 3 before I forget what the hell is going on.

Would love to see a F.E.A.R. reboot, as long as it’s like the original and not the sequels.

35. SimonSays says:

Playing Shadow Warrior 2 – was on the fence about it for so long, I absolutely loved the first one. But I am not a big fan of looter shooters in the vein of Borderlands – but I finally took the plunge… and it is lots of fun. I am still not the biggest fan of it’s content structure and the story feels about 10 times more shallow than the first game – but the action reminds me of Doom in that it is so kinetic and explosive. I do wish the story was a little more involved like the first game – and the level design can feel a little samey at times (whether you are in the city or the country). But in the end – I can play it for an hour or two at a time and haven’t found myself bored yet (I’m about 30% through it).

I may also buy Resident Evil 5 on Steam while it is on sale – I played it when it came out on my brother’s 360. But I have never been able to sit on a couch for very long playing a game – I love the RE series (since the first game, and I even enjoyed 6), I just finished playing RE7 for the second time and I still have an itch for some more RE. It is the only one in the series I haven’t beat.

Other than that the rest of my time will be spent playing music – the game that never ends. Taking a break from recording/mixing just to play some good old live music with my band – should be lots of fun!

Reboot – Thief, and by reboot I mean ignore the first reboot and just reboot it back to the real Thief universe. I’d love to see a Garrett led adventure in a modern engine that didn’t suck.

Remake – Cybermage: Darklight Awakening, such a cheesy cyberpunk game and a forgotten gem. I could easily see this re-imagined as a Half-Life style linear objective based shooter.

Rip Off – not really a rip off, but I want to see more first person games include the first person body. Since Thief 3 – it is the first thing I look for when playing a FPS. I don’t care if has absolutely no purpose, I don’t want to be a floating camera.

36. Unsheep says:

I bought Wasteland 2 on GOG, and was surprised I could use the save from my Steam version, which I had previously. I completely forgot you could do that, I’m so used to seeing Steam as its own separate and exclusive entity. I’ve based my squad on the Gaki no Tsukai guys, which I thought was a funny idea.

Expeditions: Vikings. I’m really surprised by the depth the game has. There are plenty of Viking-themed games around, but they only have a superficial or cartoonish attachment to Norse mythology and culture. The gameplay features a nice mix of management stuff and RPG elements, with lots of difficult choices to make.

Sudden Strike 4. The performance seems to vary from PC to PC, but at least it works as it should on ‘my’ system. Perhaps it’s just the multiplayer mode that has problems (which I don’t play)? The game feels like a cross between Sudden Strike 3 and Company of Heroes: easier and less complex than the former, but harder and more complex than the latter. At the core the game still feels like a Sudden Strike game, especially in its presentation and structure.

Continuing with some older games: Journeyman Project 1, Delta Force, Master of Orion (classic), and Space Colony HD.

• floogles says:

It sounds like expeditions 2 is just like Expeditions Conquistador – a fantastic and thoughtful game that nailed the historical and cultural narrative. Very excited to play this.

37. Minglefingler says:

I should finish Hellblade today, it would have been done by now but I was ill during the week which put me in the mood for something bright and colourful. To scratch that itch I bought Sonic Mania for my PS4 only to find that the save system annoys me. It only saves at the beginning of each zone, the zones have two acts with a boss at the end of both and it can take me around eight to ten minutes to complete an act. Losing up to twenty minutes of progress because I die to a boss or simply have to stop playing and turn off the console seems overly punishing to me. I know you had to finish the old games in one sitting but that was over twenty years ago and I had more patience then. The game is good though, it’s obvious the developers know and love the old 2d Sonic games.
    I’m also playing Dusk, a 90s style fps which is due out on Halloween but is giving access to the first eleven levels if you buy now. It’s amazing, the level design is fantastic, the game moves at incredible speeds (strafe jumping) and the gunplay feels great. And there are secrets, lots of secrets in each level. It’s basically what I thought Strafe would be when I saw the first trailer, I can’t wait for the full release.

38. Unsheep says:

Oh the ‘Reboot, remake, rip off’ game, forgot about that.

Re-boot:
    F-117A Nighthawk Stealth Fighter 2.0, or Subwar 2050
    … two of the most awesome games ever made

Re-make:
    Star Wars Republic Commando – with a proper ending this time.

Rip-off: Uprising, or Battlezone
    This great mix RTS and FPS is sadly missed.

39. poliovaccine says:

So I’m not getting what Flip Marry Kill is, which is maybe why I’m not sure which way this game is meant to go, but if we’re asked what elements *of the stated games* we’d like to see rebooted, remade and ripped off, then the obvious answers are the destructible buildings of Red Faction and the AI call-out system of FEAR that very effectively makes them sound much more calculating and communicative than they actually are.

If it’s meant the way most of the posters have taken it, though, then:

REBOOT: Freelancer. With landing sequences you get to actually control, more variation in the stations you land on, and the ability to actually walk between the limited areas, like the bar, shipyard, markets, etc. And more prettiness, maybe a new plot further down the line, new ships, commodities, maybe an expanded map but maybe not even, it’d be cooler if at least the central area *weren’t* procedurally generated and infinite, but rather was handcrafted. They could just use procedural stuff for the infinitude of space beyond the main map/civilized space, instead of just hitting you with invisible walls or something.

REMAKE: Not seeing how this is super-different from reboot really, I guess it is subtly so, but if I get to pick twice then hey, I’d like a remake of the Blade Runner game, with that mechanic where anyone can be your target at random, even yourself if that’s what the backstage dice select. I’d like if it was still an adventure game, but in the style of LA Noire, rather than as a point-and-click.

RIP-OFF: The mechanic in Streets of Rogue where you can put various different drugs or toxins into the ventilation system of pretty much any building in the game. God that shit is awesome haha. Everything that can even remotely use that mechanic should have it.

NOW PLAYING: You guys got me thinking about so many different games that now it’s hard to decide haha. But recently I’ve been enjoying Sheltered by Team 17, in spite of the fact my ingame family’s dog died, which for me is really saying something..! If I can keep on enjoying myself thru a doggy death, you’ve got me properly hooked haha. So I figure some more of that, maybe mete out the horror with some comic relief via the psychedelic ventilation systems in Streets of Rogue.

40. Oakreef says:

Playing Dead Space 2 and realising it’s basically a map pack for Dead Space 1 with a few minor mechanics changes. I mean Dead Space was a fun game so it’s not that bad but I was hoping for more.

41. svge says:

Shag, Marry, Avoid. Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Aniston, Jessica Alba.

“I think I would shag Megan Fox, marry Emily Blunt and avoid Steve Buscemi.”

42. JimFalkayn says:

Just discovered Mass Effect 6 months ago. Have played through trilogy 3+ times and I’m finishing 3rd playthrough of Amdromeda. Loved the trilogy. Andromeda not as good but I hope for another Mass Effect game. Am looking for new game. Played a bit of The Witness and will probably go back to it today.

• Hoot says:

If you’re looking for a new game you could do far worse than The Witcher 3 (probably the best RPG I’ve ever played), NieR : Automata or DOOM.

• floogles says:

If you want a similar feel, check out Bioware’s other games, especially star wars Knights of the old republic 1+2.

43. Blowfeld81 says:

Dauntless founder’s alpha to fill my monster hunting needs on PC. It is a really nice game that still needs a lot of polishing but alreay is a lot of fun.
    Hopefully they get rid of Vert- which is a nightmare for all 21:9 users. Whover made Vert- standart in UE4 engine should be fired. I am really worried about the state of 21:9 in Monster Hunter World btw. Capcom did not give 21:9 support in RE7 and I guess they won’t give 21:9 support in MHW. If so, they can stick MHW up their asses, as they ignored the western PC community with MHO.

In the nighttime some Darkwood (again, horrible 21:9, but very indie product, so understandable) and maybe some Plaunkbatgro, if my friends are up to it. In glorious wide vision. :)

Not feeling like playing Albion online as the grind gets tiresome, guilds tell you what items to run for hellgates and the meta takes over while big guilds who started day one are already so far ahead that the small folks are only cannon fodder and tax payers to support their fun…

44. Aphex242 says:

….I can’t stop playing Space Tyrant.

pertusaria says:

I’ve been dipping in and out of Cosmic Express and re-visiting Mini Metro after a long hiatus – enjoying both. I also remembered out of the blue that Epistory exists and is in my Steam library, so I might get round to that at some point. Will also be picking up West of Loathing.

46. parsley says:

I’m playing “go see the eclipse,” which should take up most of the weekend. Maybe I can squeeze in the tiniest bit of Ocarina of Time on the side?

47. floogles says:

Reboot, Remake, Ripoff = Crusader No Regret/Remorse.

Trying to finish off Arcanum, it’s great but like all the black isle style rpgs it’s too long and the end is a grind (especially if you stupidly take 2 weeks off playing it like I did).

48. ByrdWhyrm says:

I’m thinking:
    Remake F.E.A.R., because it was excellent as it was, and the improvements in graphics tech over the past 12 years would allow for even more oomph behind the shooting and the scaring.
    Rip-Off Red Faction, because I hear Guerrilla had killer environmental destructibility that other games ought to learn from.
    Kill Sin, because those games were never good.
    Those were my three options, right?

Risingson says:

I finished Deus Ex Mankind Divided which starts dull, develops interestingly and ends totally dumb. Pretty much like the rest of the saga (except for IW, which is dull all along).

Book Of Unwritten Tales Critter Chronicles is what one expects from Kingart: a fantastic game in its beginning that turns into more and more mundane as it progresses and it runs out of gas and gags and you do inventory mixing in the same scenarios over and over again.

Then a bit of swapping games:
    – QFG2 is hard to play right now but I love how it is written (yes, I am aware of the VGA remake).
    – Legend of Grimrock stills exhausts me: I do one small quarter of a level with a lot of save and reload until I survive one battle and I can finally save the game: this weekend I was able to survive the spiders just by luck and get into level 4.

– I bought Sleeping Dogs because I wanted to buy Watch Dogs and I mixed up the titles. Anyway, did not remember I had it until a week ago, and after an interesting beginning that has a lot of things in common to those nihilistic Korean (yes, Korean) police dramas, it goes steadily into GTA territory. Which is not my cup of tea. Feels like going to work, then to the gym, then shopping groceries and then cooking and then going to sleep, but in a game, and prettier. I love the scenarios though.

– with event[0] I am kind of glad that those experimental text based games have got to the mainstream but at the same time these games, being experimental in theory, are becoming a bit predictable, I don’t know. I kind of feel I know the story, the twists, and the message just after 5 minutes into the game, and the development does not look much more interesting.

So I will probably go back to Alpha Protocol tomorrow.

BTW, staying home because of a lovely gastroenteritis. Missing a lot of club events :(

50. kelmorg says: