Anno 1800 announced for winter 2018

After jumping forward to the year 2205 and travelling off-world, Blue Byte’s city-building economy-o-strategy game is nipping back to Earth and the past once more. Ubisoft today announced Anno 1800 [official site], taking the historical strand slightly closer to the present. This time, industrialisation is in full fling and global empires are being built. Details are thin on the ground for now, this being one of many slim announcements hurled out at Gamescom, but Ubisoft do say Anno 1800 will launch in winter 2018 and share this announcement trailer:

And here’s the requisite blurb:

“Anno 1800 brings players to the dawn of the industrial age, a time of industrialisation, diplomacy and discovery. Players will have the chance to prove their skills as a ruler, as they create huge metropolises, plan efficient logistic networks, explore and settle new lands and dominate their opponents by diplomacy, trade or warfare.

“Anno 1800 combines the best of what the franchise can offer: a rich city-building experience, including a story-based campaign, a highly customisable sandbox mode and the classic Anno multiplayer experience.”

It’s an Anno game, yeah?

Blue Byte are behind this, same as ever. Accompanying development is the Anno Union, a new community site where fans can vote on features and bits – a bit like Ubisoft did for Might & Magic Heroes 7.

1. tom13132 says:

This is a great choice of time period for the Anno series, i’m amazed no-one thought of it before. I’d like to see rail networks used to create logistical systems facotrio-style.

2. ramshackabooba says:

There’s only one Victorian era game I’m interested in, and that’s Victoria 3… come on Paradox!

• His Dudeness says:

You want some DLC for Victoria too?

• emptyfile says:

I would honestly be happier with a new Vicky 2 expansion, at this point I seriously doubt Paradox is able to create a game more complex than its predecessor.

teije says:

Yes, first Victoria 3 expanding to the 1930s. Then it goes CK -> EU -> VIC -> HOI -> obvious next game PDX makes -> Stellaris.

When it’s all done – $900 for the grand strategy collection, all unit packs, cosmetic DLC, music, story packs and expansions included :)

3. barelyhomosapien says:

Definitely a better, more resonant setting for the series then the recent Sci-Fi themes.

However the series needs less Ubifying as it feels like since they’ve started dipping their paws in it’s been suffering from feature bloat.

Carra says:

The last, sci-fi games didn’t resonate as well with me. Anno 1503 remains the best one to date. Introducing multiple different factions with different supply chains really added to the game. Since then, there haven’t been any big innovations.

Let’s hope they do something new this time!

• poliovaccine says:

Was it just me, or were the last two sci-fi ones ridiculously simple? Like, compared to some earlier installments in the series those almost felt like upgraded phone games to me. Maybe I didnt press on far enough with either of em, but I never saw much chance to be creative with your city, and if you were used to some of their earlier games it seemed almost difficult to fail.

I may just be biased towards what I played first, but since I like a sci-fi aesthetic way more than any historical one, as a general rule, I kinda doubt that’s it.

• shde2e says:

They also had a lot of rather gimmicky mechanics. The last one even had some kind of premium currency you could use to upgrade buildings and whatnot.

Personally, I still prefer anno 1404 (never played 1503), it feels much more thematically and mechanically cohesive than the other ones.

• ulix says:

2070 was great. 2205… not so much.

4. TotallyUseless says:

Does Anno still practices that brutal DRM wherein even replacing components would cause an issue with the game?

5. Rich says:

It’ll irk me if they actually call it Anno 1800. From the looks of those ships that’s around a century too early.

Carra says:

“Blue Byte are behind this, same as ever.”

The first few games were made by Max Design/Sunflower Entertainment.

7. cpy says:

So january 2018?

8. Merry says:

I like the sound of this very much.

It’s a shame that the “rule of nine” means that 1800 is the only possible year in the 19th century, and there can never be a game in the series set in the 20th century.

9. Zaxwerks says:

Yay! I prefer the historical Anno games as they are more relatable. This makes me want to load up 1404 again! Very excited about this. But does “winter 2018” mean January or December 2018?

Must… resist… pre-ordering… John will spank me and give me stern look if I do… must… be… strong…!

10. Hunchback says:

Why does the sum of the numbers HAVE to be 9? Oo

11. mactier says:

Looks like 6-core mininum. But wow, there has been such great silence these last two years, one would expect games to be announced/revelead to come out a little earlier. (This just means further silence.)

12. HigoChumbo says:

Could “winter 2018” mean early 2018?

13. Kakrafoon says:

This makes me absolutely happy.
    Combining Anno and 19th century brass, steam and bricks is genius.
    Let’s hope it follows in the footsteps of 1404 and 2070, not that half-baked attempt at persistence like in 2205.
    Oh, and I want the trains to be much more than just passive straight-line connections from one warehouse to another.
    I’m not expecting Railroad Tycoon on islands, but, yes, well, I do a bit.

Nauallis says:

Weird lack of griping about Ubisoft in the comments today. Everybody’s happy because it’s summer? You’re all back in school, ergo you have something else to bitch about? Your kids are finally out of the house?

This looks neat. I hope I make the time to play it when it launches.

15. Glentoran says:

Love BlueByte, love the Anno series, cannot stand Ubi or their ludicrous interface. And there, with great sadness, ends this potential story for me.

16. Dynamique says:

Actually, 2205 is closer to the present than 1800. ;-)

Skipped the last one – though it looked beautiful, it seemed they went somewhat “casual” with the separation of gameplay modes… (plus: Hardware requirements, and stuff). From what I hear, it didn’t sell that well, though.

Let’s see where they are heading this time, gameplay-wise. .

17. haldolium says:

Nice.

It’s probably good they return to their roots of more historical stuff, 2205 really was too much off their common series recipe in the worse way.

This does look good (except for the same awful DoF filter fom 1404 ^^) and might be a great return to the base what Anno was about.

I still hope for more diversity and some kind of evolution, but I have faith in Bluebyte that they get what went wrong in 2205. They failed before and recovered quite good.

• ulix says:

When? This is Bluebyte Mainz, formerly known as Related Design. The only made one bad Anno (okay-ish game, just not a good Anno), which was the last one (2205).

18. ludde says:

Let’s hope it will have multiplayer unlike 2205, which the missus and I skipped.

19. LukeW says:

“fans can vote on features and bits”

Can we vote for it not to use Uplay?

20. Kelvin says:

“Uploader has not made this video available in your country!?”

WUT.

THIS IS AMERICA WHAT ARE YOU EVEN DOING WITH YOUR LIFE MR. UPLOADER?

Comment on this story