Bomber Crew goes up tiddley up up in October

Flying missions in the upcoming strat-o-sim Bomber Crew [official site] is quite cartoony, in that you can do things like send crew members out on your World War 2 bomber’s wing to fix a burning engine. It’s also quite complex and serious, in that your plane can get duffed up enough to need to do that and you’ll die terribly if not. Bomber Crew looks a little like FTL but with more sim-y underpinnings, and it looks a right lark. Publishers Curve Digital today announced that they’ve picked Runner Duck’s game up and will be publishing it on October 19th. Have a look:

Bomber Crew will give us a WW2 bomber and task us with missions like destroying targets and snapping recon photos. Pick up a crew and it’s chocks away! on adventures that are a bit FTL-y but seem more involved. We’ll need to manually aim bombs, tag targets for gunners, and whatnot. And as we go, bad things happen and we need to order our crew around to man stations and deal with problems.

It looks like a fun and silly load of stress.

Looking at the light system requirements listed on its Steam page, Bomber Crew seems another good candidate for roaming laptop play.

1. Gothnak says:

I do play a lot of wargames, and parts of this look interesting, but trying not to be ‘that guy’ who gets outraged for others, having a cartoony game where you are doing fun carpet bombing in WW2 feels a little weird.

I feel a grittier almost ‘are we doing the right thing?’ feel would have been a lot more interesting.

• Zenicetus says:

I was debating whether to post a curmudgeonly complaint about the concept, so I’m glad you got there first.

For me it’s not so much the carpet bombing, it’s more a sense of disrespect for what those crews actually went through. WW2 is still a bit close for this approach, or maybe it’s just that I’m old enough to have family members who fought in the war. It could be funny as a pirate ship game.

• Antongranis says:

How are those crews disrespected by this game?

• Zenicetus says:

I haven’t played the game so I’m just going by what I see in the trailer. It’s just the impression I got by the setup.

I’m not against war games and I enjoyed playing the old Microprose B-17 Flying Fortress combat sim. It’s the difference between treating the situation with respect, and making a silly cartoon out of it.

• Shadow says:

I’d worry less about the crewmen and more about the hundreds of thousands of civilians who were actually bombed. Strategic bombing in WW2 was very much a grey area at best.

The game actually looks pretty good, and I hope it’s detailed and FTL-like, but it’s true the cartoony design seems rather questionable.

• Monggerel says:

I mean, it could be like DEFCON instead.

TOKYO RAID SUCCESSFUL
            100000 DEAD

But then you keep the goofy cartoon style anyway for maximum psychosis.
            Throw in some Mirbeau, name the plane Clara. Everything and the kitchen sink. Quote cormac McCarthy and De Sade. Good stuff. Meaningful commentary on how war is bad & shouldn’t be done. Real ground-breaking carpet bombing.

That way, when the public opinion pieces come knocking, you can say you respect the dead.

• Monggerel says:

Aux Prêtres, aux Soldats, aux Juges, aux Hommes, qui éduquent, dirigent, gouvernent les hommes, ces pages de Meurtre et de Sang.

Yeah that’s that good stuff,

• JohnnyG says:

If the Germans were that interested in saving lives, they could have, oh I don’t know, maybe not have invaded Poland and plunged the world into a second total war?

• Landiss says:

I’m sure German children that died under the bombs felt guilty and sorry for invading Poland.

• Shadow says:

Yeah, that kind of simplistic argument doesn’t fly, and you don’t even have to mention children to counter it. We’re talking about civilians in general, and blaming them because their government decided to wage wars of aggression. International law on aerial warfare was vague at the time, and the Allies decided they’d have no qualm bombing German cities because Hitler chose to bomb Allied cities with no remorse earlier on. So it’s an eye for an eye, and there’s nothing particularly meritorious nor honourable about stooping to that level.

It’s a dangerous kind of simplistic argument if applied nowadays, too, considering it could well be used to (erroneously) justify modern terrorism and its attacks on Western civilians for the actions of Western governments and militaries elsewhere.

• Archonsod says:

“International law on aerial warfare was vague at the time”
            International law was actually quite clear at the time (had been since 1864). The only prohibition on civilian targets were those which were undefended. If anything it’s the definition of civilian that’s a bit vague – somewhat hard to argue London was a civilian target for example given the number of armouries, munitions factories and military installations within the city limits.

“Allies decided they’d have no qualm bombing German cities because Hitler chose to bomb Allied cities with no remorse earlier on.”
            Britain’s bombing strategy was set in WW1, as was Germany’s to be fair. Neither side had any qualms bombing each other’s cities because the entire strategic doctrine of air bombardment was to destroy the enemy industry, thus impairing their ability to both wage war and maintain their military in the field, and most of that industry – munitions factories, harbours, shipyards, armouries, barracks et al tended to be situated within cities and towns.

• masonlb3003 says:

Well i understand what you mean. However if you would class this as being disrespectful for putting a pretty art style over what would be a horrible event, then you must hate a lot of games. And in actuality (excuse my grammar if im spelling stuff wrong) people would have flown over air bases whilst they bombed them and they would have cheered and considered it for the “greater good” when it was just… genocide. Sometimes we need something that makes a bad thing look good my friend, and at least when its in a games format, you are not hurting someone in the process.

FhnuZoag says:

I am fairly sure, FWIW, that all your targets in this game will be fairly morally unambiguous, no carpet bombing or fire bombing here.

Phasma Felis says:

I can see that, I guess. Do you feel the art style is inherently disrespectful, or is it the tone that’s the problem? Valiant Hearts is cartoony in look and mechanics and seems to be generally regarded as respectful, but it may have a different tone.

2. Kohlrabi says:

Reminds me of B17 Flying Fortress in days of yore.

• phreddo says:

I remember playing this old Hypercard game on my mac SE: Bomber

MajorLag says:

Oh man Hypercard. I wrote one of my first games ever in Hypercard back in middle school.

One wonders if there’s a modern equivalent. Something in the IF space I imagine?

No wait, I suppose it’s the web these days. What a shame.

3. sagredo1632 says:

For people who enjoyed Tim’s excellent CCM series on the site recently, you should also check out his excellent narration of a few rounds of the B-17 Queen of the Skies board game, also hosted on RPS. The brutality of sheer mean chance and high likelihood of failure captures more of the wargaming spirit than this trailer seems to impart.

4. phreddo says:

You can climb onto the wings while in flight? Hmm…

5. Shiloh says:

RAF bomber crew chatter from 1943-44.

link to youtube.com

“There goes the cookie!”

6. FredSaberhagen says:

Grandpa was a navigator on these, I would have loved to play this game with him…

7. wombat191 says:

I’m alright with the representation, after all even bugs bunny went to war in 1943 link to youtube.com

It reminds me a lot of b17 and the mighty 8th. I can’t wait to try it