Video game tourism alert: Warface is off to Pripyat

Crytek’s free-to-play face-shooter Warface [official site] is off to the city of Pripyat within the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone later this year. Is Warface (WARFACE WARFACE WARFACE etc.) any good? Dunno. Am I keen to see this? Oh yes. I always enjoy video games travelling to that spooky abandoned land, from Call of Duty 4’s stealthy visit to the joys of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.. Video game tourism is challenging when enemies are trying to shoot your face off, sure, but that’s part of the satisfaction. Would a view from a mountaintop be the same without a climb? Doesn’t a hike make the ruins you reach all the more delightful?

The visit to Pripyat will be one of Warface’s ‘Special Operation’ cooperative missions. Crytek say they’re sending us in “to reveal its dark (and darker!) secrets.” They continue:

“In addition to new plot points, ‘Pripyat’ will include an entirely new set of enemies and bosses with uniquely refined combat styles for players to face off against, forcing them to hone their skills and teamwork.”

Okay, but how much time will I have to simply wander and enjoy the sights? That’s what really matters here. Sure, I could fire up S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but I quite like seeing different interpretations of the same actual real place. How video games understand places and what they prize as they reinterpret them is interesting. Process, differences, and artifice [artiface -ed.] become pleasingly clear when you see several people make ostensibly the same thing.

The Pripyat Special Operation is due to launch “later this year.” I’ve looked into it and I believe I’ll need to rank up a bit in Warface before I’m allowed to play this type of mission. Rats. Better get started on that.

1. waltC says:

“Would a view from a mountaintop be the same without a climb?”

Most certainly, ensconced on my living-room sofa in the lap of luxury, comparatively, the mountaintop view would be far better seen on the big screen of my TV than from my exhausted, sweaty self on top of the mountain–at which point I would slip on some loose gravel and it would be curtains…;)

Q: Does a man alone falling from a remote mountaintop and yelling “He-e-e-e-e-e-eel-l-l-l-l-lppp!” all the way down make a sound if no one is there to hear him?

A:?

• Nelyeth says:

That’s why you obviously start with small mountains. If your physical shell is deficient, there’s always hills. Or even speed bumps, let’s not set too high a target right of the bat.

2. ZIGS says:

This is the latest game/addon in a series of “what can we make that’s as close to STALKER in order to pike the fan’s interest but without actually being STALKER?” games

• Quickly says:

Wait, there are others?

• Uncle Fass says:

The game is nothing like STALKER in the slightest – though I can see why you would think this is in the same market as ‘Escape from Tarkov’ or ‘Survarium’.

I think the devs use this location to refer back to the famous COD4 level rather than the STALKER series – which is a shame because I would love an excuse to enlighten more people about the joys of traversing the zone.

3. racccoon says:

There’s no Giant Cockroaches in Chernobyl!!.. except for government peeps in coats staring from afar. :)

4. TheSplund says:

Shame it’s in a P2W game like this. Think I’ll boot up STALKER lost Alpha instead

5. 4004 says:

Nothing (sadly?) still beats STALKER for some Pripyat sight seeing. Especially with all the mods, LA/COC etc

6. Ghostwise says:

O’Connor is still running with that joke about a game she OBVIOUSLY made up and that never existed ?

Taking the piss is fine, but trying to convince us that a large studio would mean its name “Warface” makes it much less believable.

Comment on this story