NecroDancer devs go city-building in Industries of Titan

The studio behind groovy dungeon crawler Crypt of the Necrodancer have announced their next game, and it is very much not what I’d expect. Industries of Titan [official site] blasts off to the Saturnian moon to build cities, build factories, build an economy, and maybe build warships to deal with rivals in extremely hostile takeovers. Yup, it’s a city-building economy-o-strat-a-war ’em up sort of doodad, and hot dang its industrial cities look ace. Have a peek in the announcement trailer:

I had no idea how much I want a grimy industry-focused city-builder with airborne warfare. A lot, turns out.

Given how many moving parts it has, I’ll slam the feature list from developers Brace Yourself Games into your eyes:

• Design your city and grow it from just a few small buildings into a massive metropolis!
  • Set up production lines inside your factories to turn raw resources into ever more powerful devices and buildings
  • Balance the needs of your workers, your factories, and your buildings to produce a powerful, efficient economy
  • Design the interiors of your battleships by strategically placing weapons, shields, thrusters, and more, to reduce weak points and maximize fighting capability
  • Overcome your enemies via tactical battleship combat, technological superiority, political influence, or the sheer productive power of your factories
  • Gameplay is “real-time with pause” — play at your preferred pace!

This sounds ace. Oh, and it has music from Danny Baranowsky.

What Brace Yourself don’t say, sadly, is when they plan to release Industries of Titan.

1. Kreeth says:

Ooooooh. Mr Jim, late of this parish, RTd one/some of these blocks aaages ago, I always wondered what they were from. It was one of those “screenshots of things in development” accounts that generally doesn’t say what it’s actually from.

Anyway, this looks well worth a look. Look look look.

Look.

2. shinkshank says:

A game in my second favorite genre, made by the developers of one of my favorite games in my favorite genre? Sign me right the hell up!

3. Pyromanta says:

This looks cool. I love it when talented devs try out different genres! Here’s hoping we don’t have to wait too long!

4. Retzinsky says:

Well well, consider me very much on board for this. This is easily the most exciting new game announcement I’ve seen in some time. Also, love the “titans of industry” / “Industries of Titan” name flip they’ve got going on.

5. draglikepull says:

“Design the interiors of your battleships by strategically placing weapons, shields, thrusters, and more, to reduce weak points and maximize fighting capability”

Does anyone else get turned off when they see strategy and/or 4X games add that kind of stuff? I don’t want to spend time messing about trying to min/max the statistics of individual units, I want to focus on the high level strategic decisions.

• haldolium says:

Basically yes.

However it does come down to the way it’s handled in the game, how it’s done, how much relevance the options have and so on.

I wouldn’t condemn the general idea, not in strategy titles either, but more often then not it has been proven to be rather and annoyance as something engaging within these genres.

This does look very interesting. Hope they’ll get their particle FX under control over time, that stuff looked bad.

• DailyFrankPeter says:

You’re right that it is a concept all Civ- and Alpha-Centauri-likes sort of adopted as is, despite it being an incomplete idea.

I.e. who cares about weapon/shield placement if you have no mechanics such as turn speed, arc of coverage and localised damage – and instead all battles have a boardgame level of complexity.

However, with this game being voxel-based, perhaps they are implementing some sort of localised damage model.

6. Holderist says:

Seems a mite irresponsible to allow to battleships to duke it out over-top your city.

7. April March says:

This looks right up my alley (my alley also orbits a gas giant).

Though, does the trailer depict a hostile warship gaining authorization to hang around being hostile and shoot down a friendly ship?

• ephemeris says:

That caught my imagination as well.

What mechanism would allow corporations to wage war on one another.

My best scenario, A “War Bond” is a security paid to the local government to cover damages caused by said war. “Here is 2 billion space bucks, that should cover rebuilding damaged blocks, pay off the survivors etc…”

Don’t get into a war larger than your war bond covers or here come the federales, they are bigger stronger and will forcibly curb stomp your little saturn llc into oblivion.

8. xfstef says:

Looks like the Cities: Skylines engine?

9. Erithtotl says:

Cities: Blade Runner. Yes please.