Thimbleweed Park’s arcade is now open

Thimbleweed Park arcade

You can now play old-school arcade games within old-school adventure game Thimbelweed Park [official site]. Cool-a-reno. The town’s arcade was previously just a facade, but now you can snoop inside and pop a token into such 8-bit delights as Meteor Menace, Space Slime and Die! Enemy Scumm!

But, like the rest of Thimbleweed Park, it’s not quite as straightforward as you might hope. You’ll have to solve puzzles to get access to those tokens, creator Ron Gilbert said on Twitter. The arcade is only available in the game’s hard mode as well, so expect those puzzles to bend your mind.

There’s also some minor bug fixes, but they’re not detailed in the patch notes.

It seems a good excuse as any to jump back into the game if you already own it. If you don’t and you’re a adventure game fan, it’s worth checking out. The puzzles are a tad obscure at times (I guess it wouldn’t be an old-school adventure games if they all made sense…) but it’s got a lot of humour, good characters – including a pair of mechanics in giant pigeon suits – and a strong story.

It’s £14.99/19,99€/$19.99 on Steam and GOG.

1. Risingson says:

It’s not that difficult if you play the game the way adventure games were played: in company, in community, in a WhatsApp group where you ask hints to those friends who sorted out the puzzles you are solving. I did it that way and it was fantastic.

2. Kamestos says:

The game was a lot of fun but I didn’t like the ending, it was too meta.

• Werthead says:

It might be Ron Gilbert’s thing. Monkey Island 2 also had a very bizarrely meta ending (although Thimbleweed’s was far more fourth-wall-shattering).

• klops says:

That’s a good point that I actually forgot about. MI2 was pretty great expect the dull end in LeChuck’s caverns. But the ending was just horrible. Thimbleweed is pretty good but the ending was just horrible.

• Yachmenev says:

Agree with that. The ending really soured me on the game. It was quite good up until that, but that meta crap cheapened the story and the experience.

• Talsted says:

Same here. That ending was a misfire on multiple levels. Avoiding spoilers, but it pitches the entire game into a super-dark tone (except for the one character who can just…leave? Because they’re working for the Japanese? Ooookay), and doesn’t hold up to logical scrutiny for more than five seconds. It feels like the developer said “Hey, wouldn’t this be a cool swerve?” and M. Night Shyamalaned it.

The story in general is kind of a pileup of “hey, let’s throw this in, just because.” And while that’s forgivable with the more comedic elements — I’m not a fan of goofy randomness for goofy randomness’s sake, but it has a legit place in adventure gaming — it’s a mess when it infects the actual plot. For example, there’s that early bit where a character is knocked out, abducted, there’s a weird cutscene of them laying unconscious on a video monitor, then they’re just as abruptly released…and unless I missed it, there’s never any explanation as to why. It has nothing to do with the actual revelation at the end of the game, and there was no reason for it to happen.

• tour86rocker says:

Agree with everyone, and I think it was a bit lazy, the least interesting ending possible. It really squandered what they built up. SPOILER: Three separate characters are identical in appearance in a town where an AI is building robots but it’s because they’re actors in a game? I can think of multiple more-interesting ways of going with that. This is a game that could have had sequels, but they ruined that.

• Talsted says:

It doesn’t help that the jokes about the identical characters are the least funny thing in the entire game. “Hahah, this guy says ‘a-reeno’ after every other word, but his identical twin says a different thing!”

3. sagredo1632 says:

“Die! Enemy Scumm!”

Sensing some latent hostility to ye olde script engine here…

4. Michael Fogg says:

Should have made the arcade a standalone demo.

subdog says:

Thimbleweed is great, and I was really disappointed that RPS didn’t include it in their best games of the first half of 2017 list.

6. Corinthas says:

Loving the added details, like the new arcade. However a bit late now that i have completed the game.. a point and click adventure does not suit this kind of piece-meal development. Would be different if the puzzles were different each time you played..

7. tour86rocker says:

I’m not sure I see myself going back to figure out where they inserted the tokens. I feel like I’d have to look at every object and talk to every person, no thanks. They told us with the ending of the game that the game is meaningless so why would I invest valuable time?

8. Talsted says:

Oh, and the devs can EABOD for the “read 100 books” and “dial 100 phone numbers” achievements. Yes, great, you let Kickstarter backers contribute random and witless garbage to the game in exchange for financially supporting you. Cool. Don’t make the rest of us have to wade through that crap.

• klops says:

You don’t have to do those achievements, so the devs didn’t force us to wade through that crap. You didn’t have to read or listen the backer notes. I, for example, didn’t.

9. Caiman says:

I enjoyed Thimbleweed Park, but the ending ruined it. Overall I enjoyed Paradigm a lot more. It was much easier, but far funnier, and it didn’t jump the shark at the end. Even if it had, it wouldn’t have been out of place.

Comment on this story