Bungielicious: Destiny 2 PC open beta starts today

The free open beta test for Destiny 2 [official site], the MMO-lite shooter sequel from Halo creators Bungie, begins tonight on PC. It’ll kick off at 6pm (10am Pacific), available exclusively through Blizzard’s Battle.net Blizzard Beam Actiblizzablasta Battle.net client. The first Destiny skipped PC so this is a handy chance to check out what it’s all about. Our Pip, who played Destiny aplenty on console, is playing the beta and will have more to show and tell us about this beta soon. Also Alec is doing something involving screwdrivers and graphs or whatever a ‘tech’ is.

The open beta starts at 6pm tonight then ends on Thursday (presumably at 6?). The console beta was extended a little, so maybe we’ll get lucky too.

The beta lets all and sundry play a snippet of Destiny 2’s story campaign, as well as blast three a three-player cooperative raid and shoot faces in two 4v4 competitive multiplayer modes.

System requirements are as follows:

Recommended Specs

CPU: Intel – Core i5-2400; AMD – Ryzen R5 1600X
GPU: Nvidia – GeForce GTX 970, AMD – Radeon R9 390
RAM: 8GB

Minimum Specs

CPU: Intel – Core i3-3250, AMD – FX-4350
GPU: Nvidia – GeForce GTX 660 2GB, AMD – Radeon HD 7850 2GB
RAM: 6GB

Blizzard also offer installation instructions. Basically, download the Battle.net client then click on Destiny 2 then click again.

Though people who pre-ordered Destiny 2 got to pre-load the open beta and are already playing it, pre-loading isn’t an option for us hoi polloi. No, we’ll have to slam the 16GB download after the beta starts. Initial impressions from early starters seem to agree that it’s pretty flipping slick.

Both AMD and Nvidia have recently released new graphics card drivers optimised for the Destiny 2 beta, by the way. That’s something to download while kicking your heels.

While Destiny’s Child will launch on consoles next week, the PC version is coming seven weeks later to ensure it’s decent. It’ll hit our silicon-snorting framecrushers on October 24th.

1. Sp4rkR4t says:

Story campaign mission was awesome,
    PvP is quite brutal, I love it even though I’m just a dead body most of the time.
    PvE mission is a good romp.
    Game runs like butter for most people I’ve talked to, it’s running with everything I like turned all the way up @4K on a GTX 970 which I didn’t think would be possible.

Very, very impressed indeed.

2. Lobotomist says:

As PC player I never tried Destiny 1 so I was very excited to try this one.

I must say i am pretty much dissapointed.

The game is not bad. But it is nothing special in any way.
    I can see it was big on consoles, but for PC its just another forgettable shooter.

Even worse is the feeling ( although beta is limited to one demo mission only ) that large part of gameplay is replaying missions over and over.

That combines with fact that co-op is not “directed” as L4D or Vermintide – gives just running trough same repetitive scenarios over and over.

My only hope that there will at least be lot of these missions. To partially elevate repetitiveness (but given high production values, i think this will not be the case)

PVP element of game is standard point capture. Again really nothing special, especially when compared with some never PVP shooters like Titanfall, Lawbreakers …

I must say i went from “must buy” to “probably not” after this beta test

PS: The game runs butter smooth on my pretty modest setup PC

• trashmyego says:

What are you smoking?

Not special in anyway? Give me another shooter with level based progression, six different sub-classes with skills that can be altered with gear. With the gun variety. Give me one that handles as well as Destiny 2 does. That is optimized as well as it is. That has open world maps stuffed with public zone-wide events as well as pick-up quests and minor events, with a story campaign that melds that open world with instanced missions, along with completely separate co-op dungeons and raids. That has the enemy variety across (from just the first game) at least four unique factions. That has the vehicles Destinty 2 will have. That has multiple competitive PvP modes and maps. That has the voice cast and polish seen in this Beta. That looks this good.

Where’s this shooter that’s been on PC all this time, let alone the numerous ones needed to make this not special in anyway. I’m somewhat concerned, because I’m pretty sure I’d have heard about it/them by now. The Borderland series is the only thing I can think of mechanically, but even the best of that series handles and plays out like amateur hour to the small sliver we’ve seen of Destiny 2.

• Deadly Habit says:

There’s this little franchise called Borderlands you may have heard about before…

Saying this as a fan of the original Destiny as well.

• Deadly Habit says:

Doh just saw you mentioned Borderlands already when I came back to try to edit in the now f2p Defiance (though that’s 3rd person).
          I need to have at least 1 cup of coffee in me before posting in the morning next time.

Mungrul says:

Don’t worry, Shadow Warrior 2 is also pretty close to the Borderlands formula, but features an extra degree of proc-gen to boot.

But anyways, confronting Lobotomist with a
            “What are you smoking?” is unnecessarily confrontational. He doesn’t like it, and specifically mentions the lack of an AI director as being a key detractor, which isn’t touched upon by trashmyego.

People like different stuff.

But I also had the same response when playing Halo on the PC for the first time. While I could see that it was new and interesting for console gamers, it had already been made irrelevant on the PC by the time it came out, and there were too many concessions to the original platform’s limitations to make it truly compelling.

But then, I’m still a little bitter that the devs that brought us Marathon, Myth and Oni sold out to make inferior console titles.

• trashmyego says:

@Mungrul, My post wasn’t directed at him liking it or not, but the game’s uniqueness. I’m still waiting for an example of a game that offers the same array of features that Destiny 2 does. His fall back defense is saying that Destiny 2 is three mediocre games in one, and considering he hasn’t played a representation of the full game yet, he’s the one arguing with personal taste in relation to his assumption of features for a game he hasn’t played in full. While my list of features overlaps with gameplay videos, first hand experience, and what’s currently present in the first game.

On the AI Director note, why would this be necessary? Destiny isn’t solely built around a handful of contained, linear maps with finite resources offered to a set group of players. The world events are dynamic as they need to be for activity, but the large open spaces wouldn’t provide the precise and predictable environments a director would require. And it’s not like the use of an AI Director is some fountain of endless content. They become extremely predictable after a good handful of playthroughs.

• Lobotomist says:

I did not say shooters that do exact thing as Destiny. Although Planetside 2 does all this on 1000 time larger scale. Even F2P game Warframe does similar things, with not much worse gameplay.

I was of course refering to FPS genre in large on PC. With vastly superior games in terms of gameplay. Anywhere from FarCry to Doom.

Again. Im not saying D2 is bad by any means. Just not special either.

• SneakySnek says:

Planetside 2 really does not have anything to do even remotely with Destiny. Warframe is a closer comparison, but it is a third-person shooter with a much greater emphasis on movement, and a huge grind and unbearable PvP gameplay compared with Destiny because of how maneuverable everyone is don’t really help the case of comparing them.

I don’t see how you could compare anything from Far Cry to Doom to Destiny. This seems more like your subjective opinion on which type of gameplay you like than whether a game is actually good within its subgenre or if it achieves its goals in a high-quality manner.

• Raoul Duke says:

You seem really desperate for people to like this game.

• Lobotomist says:

Well. Apples and Oranges. Of course I can not find a game that is exactly the same as Destiny in every aspect. I am just saying that on PC lot of games just do things better.

As FPS game we have many that have better story, gameplay, larger world.

As PVP FPS we have games that are vastly superior too.

And finally as Co-OP , we also have games that have “intelligent” design that prevents levels from repeating them selves.

Although Destiny combines these 3 – you are getting 3 average games.

Now Borderlands as comparison although it is older game – I feel that the game is just more crazy and complex.

And Warframe – well its free.

……

Lastly. Again. The judgement is still out.
            Demo only proven to me that game is “average” , but not bad.

I am sure fun can be had. And there will be value for money.

But it very much depends on how many missions there will be in the game.

Under 100, and its waste of money

• SneakySnek says:

“Destiny 2 has more than 80 PvE missions”
            link to reddit.com

Plus, director-based games (L4D, Vermintide, etc. – and I have them, and play them, and like them) still aren’t really something you can easily compare to a game with the MMO-like enemy variety, bosses and mission structure in Destiny.
            Which should, aside from classic story missions have public events, Patrols, Adventures, Lost Sectors (basically hidden dungeons on every map), and various Quest lines going into other facets of the lore of the world that may not even unlock before you finish the main game. Then there’s the Strikes and Raids which aren’t even supposed to be something an AI director could or should manage. It’s like saying the new Doom is bad because it doesn’t have an AI director – I for one still haven’t found it repetitive and not a single level has changed since my first playthrough.
            MMOs are one of the most played genres exactly because of their endgame content in the same vein as strikes and raids (whether they’re called dungeons, raids, flashpoints, whatever) and the whole point is that they’re difficult content which you can learn and improve at, working through it with teamwork and skill.
            There were also more PvP modes in the 1st one than in this Beta and there is no reason there would not be in this one, too. Apart from Control and Countdown, a mode with a fixed number of lives per match was confirmed and we can also expect Clash (basically deathmatch), and something like Trials of Osiris (Elimination with revives) and Iron Banner which both put a twist on the basic formula.

You’re basing the mediocrity of the game on assumptions without having enough information to properly handle your conclusion. All I’m saying is it’s a hugely subjective opinion and we should use the Beta to inform ourselves on how the gunplay handles (great in my opinion) and how the technical execution is going.
            As far as content and value go, anyone who hasn’t decided to be firmly planted in their baseless assumption will just have to wait for the launch and read reviews or watch gameplay.

• Lobotomist says:

“You’re basing the mediocrity of the game on assumptions without having enough information to properly handle your conclusion.”

Granted.
            This is why I was dissapointed with such limited “beta”. WHich gave me only feeling of repetitivnes and mediocrity.

• fish99 says:

In my opinion Far Cry (any of them) or the latest Doom, do not have better gameplay than Destiny, neither does Planetside 2 for that matter. Punchy, satisfying-feeling combat is something Bungie have always done very well. You’re judging the game having briefly played a tiny slice of it.

Nauallis says:

It’s really not worth trying to convince this person; having played only a few short hours of a beta (if that), look at the amount of time they are spending trying to convince other people not to like it either…

The best argument they can manage for Warframe is that it’s free. lol. Because paying (once) for quality is apparently bad.

• Rikstah says:

Mate you’re just going to have to accept that for PC players Destiny isn’t a particularly mind blowing game.

• fish99 says:

The demo doesn’t show off any of the open world areas (the bulk of the game) or the player hubs, so it doesn’t show off the structure of the game very well. There’s also no leveling and very limited loot/upgrades. There’s a lot more to get your teeth into in the full game.

3. Hoot says:

I’ll be checking it out for the PvE only. L4D2 was my go-to co-op shooter for a long time, but it got old a while ago and I never got into Borderlands 2 multiplayer because it was hamstrung by shoddy netcode on release and for a significant time after.

Mechanically I expect it to require next to zero skill and I’m fine with that. I’ve already got Quake Champions, CS:GO, SC2, SFV and Battlerite (it’s awesome, really, go check it out!) for any high skill ceiling, mechanics driven PvP action I want.

The only void I can identify in my gaming library is a co-op mindless shooty blast-fest that I barely need to think about. I’ve passed up Fortnite, haven’t been into MMO’s for a long time and played L4D2 to the death so…I hope this game can deliver.

• SneakySnek says:

The PvP actually seems (at least to me) surprisingly skill-based because the interactions of various class abilities and long time to kill do end up rewarding strategic thinking, teamplay and most of all gun skill. You can’t just accidentally get a surprising angle on someone, pop off a few lucky rounds and enjoy your kill like in Titanfall 2 (which i absolutely love), for example. It requires constant tracking and you really have to work for those headshots and at the same time at both dodging enemy shots AND taking note of your abilities and whether that ability could help you turn the tide (and if it can, is it smarter to save it for later?).

Not exactly the brutal high-skilled arena shooter a hardcore PC FPS player is after, but surprisingly entertaining and challenging.

4. Sojiro84 says:

Maybe you forgot to mention it is only for preorders?

I I missed that in the article? For me it still say’s I need to buy the game.

Doesnt seem very ‘open’ beta to me.

AutonomyLost says:

I got to play this last night and have to say it looks great, and runs like absolute butter. Maxed out @ 3440×1440, flawless performance with a 1080 Ti (yeah, it’s powerful, but that of course doesn’t necessarily mean new games play nicely with it all the time) and it has to be hovering between 75 and 90 fps, though I wasn’t able to check via Precision X due to, I assume, the limitations of the Blizzard Launcher.

Anyway, I had fun, I’m gonna dip back in tonight to play through what’s available, as last night I only played for 20 or so minutes, and I’m excited for the full release due to the polish inherent throughout already. Hope others are having good experiences as well!

Comment on this story