Rune: Ragnarok resurrecting Human Head’s Viking action

Human Head Studios have dusted off their horned helmets and announced a sequel to Rune. The studio might be best known for their work on Prey No The Old Prey Not The New Prey and its cancelled sequel but before all that, they had a load of Vikings murder each other to bits in their third-person action-adventure from the year 2000. Now they’re sharpening their axes again for Rune: Ragnarok [official site], which they’re calling “a sandbox, open-world RPG set in a dangerous Norse universe during the end of days.” Ah, the ends of days – will they ever end?

Though Human Head announce Rune: Ragnarok today, they didn’t show much of it. Here’s the announcement trailer:

Axes and ice: confirmed.

Human Head promise “intense and brutal combat” and say that Ragnarok “places players in the middle of an epic battle where gods, beasts, and the last remaining humans struggle to survive.” The human condition, maaaan.

“By pledging allegiance to one of the Norse gods, players gain favor and special abilities to aid them as they raid enemy villages, fight the undead in brutal melee combat, sail to new lands, and craft powerful weapons to complete the goals of their god and conclude Ragnarok.”

No word yet on when Rune: Ragnarok will launch.

If you’re curious about the first game, it’s sold these days under the name Rune Classic with the expansion thrown in and a few tweaks and additions. It’s on Steam and GOG.

1. Pich says:

You know, in the age of Dark Souls and Darlk Souls-derivates, a remake of Blade Of Darkness would really sell well imo. it was basically proto-souls.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I’d settle for it being made available for sale. It’s great that most old games will work on a modern computer (through GoG’s and/or the community’s help), but some great ones aren’t easily available, which is a shame.

I tried out the Rune demo a few years ago and it was pretty good, but I already have a large enough GoG library of unplayed games.

• Boondock says:

This comment confused me because Blade Of Darkness definitely used to be on GOG, but I guess it was removed. That said, I’m sure if you look around you could find an old GOG copy floating around that is updated to work on modern machines.

• identiti_crisis says:

I never played the original Rune, but from what I’ve seen of it on the tubes, it seems to play quite differently from how Severance Blade of Darkness did.

Perhaps the extreme masochism that the Souls series has steered itself towards has left an opening for a proper stab at something more like my most favouritest fantasy melee action game, though.

Failing that, a nice patched re-release for modern OSs and APIs would be adequate.

2. emge28 says:

“a sandbox, open-world RPG”
    Of course! How could it be anything else!

3. PancreaticDefect says:

As long as I can still eat lizards and smash mead tankards I’m in.

4. suibhne says:

Rune was ridiculously fun for its time. Level design was compelling, visuals were impressive, sound design and music were great, and the combat was arcade-y but enjoyable. It offered a strong sense of progression with higher-quality weapons, too. I’m in.

5. Spacewalk says:

I’ll bet that noone saw this coming in a million years.

6. racccoon says:

This sounds like a good plan, a long time waited from that famous old game though.:(

Someone needs to re do REDMOON!! :) REDMOON 2!

Phasma Felis says:

I liked Rune except for the ridiculously tedious second level. First level was vast caves and plummeting cliffs full of cunning goblins. Second level was Hel(l?), which was basically endless dingy Quake dungeons inhabited solely inhabited by unarmed zombies that only charge and punch, and can only be killed permanently by chopping their heads off, which as far as I could ever tell happens completely at random on roughly 5% of sword strikes.

Then level 3 was soaring snowcapped mountains and angry Vikings, but I’d kind of lost the thrill by then.

Anyway this doesn’t appear to have anything to do with that, which I guess is to be expected for a “sequel” with a 17-year gap.

8. Lord_Santa says:

Rune On-line on the Low Caliber Club servers was some of the greatest fun there has ever been to be had on the internwebz.

I’ve been waiting for someone, just anyone to mention anything with regards to Rune for almost a decade now; seemed like people forgot about it completely.

this pleases me greatly.

• PancreaticDefect says:

I never forgot. To the point that I went out and got myself an in-box copy of the game to display on my shelf for all that sweet, sweet nostalgia. Oh, to be 18 again…

9. JackMultiple says:

I will always count the original Rune as one of the best games I ever played. I have so many vivid recollections of events I’d never seen before. But the highlight will aways be the “corridor of statues” towards the middle/end of the game. I ran by some statues and had the distinct creepy feeling that one (or more) of them had actually reached out to touch me as I went by. It made the hair on my arms stand up. So as I approached the last corridor, a sharp left turn, I just *crept* up to the corner, peeked around the corner, and as I did… all the statues in the corridor just s-l-o-w-l-y turned on their bases to face me! It freaked me right the **** out! I’ve never run so fast down a hallway as I did that one! I have a Word document filled with recollections from this game, but that was the best. I cannot wait to see what they do with the sequel!

10. Cyrus says:

THIS IS BIRKA *boot*

11. DD says:

Rune was one of my groups favorite multiplayer games. I’m having a hard time containing my excitement. FUCK YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

12. Sin Vega says:

Rune was great, unique and underrated. Bags of character and some really fun design and pacing. It’s a real shame they frontloaded it with almost all the worst levels right at the start.

Comment on this story