Sonic Mania is out today and it features Sonic

Sanic and Tales

Must travel quickly! That’s the infamous blue hedgehog’s catch phrase and it is doubly meaningful this afternoon, as the noted fugitive’s new two-dimensional adventure has been released on personal computers for all his troubled fans TODAY. Sonic Mania [official site] sees an alledgedly solid return for the steel blue country animal with a disturbing past. You’ll be using his trademark guddies and retro style to traverse whole new levels, including but not limited to:

• The Green Place
  • Consumption Zone
  • Fermented Cactus Juice Bottling Grounds
  • Disco Wetlands
  • Customs & Immigration
  • Mammal Hell

You can also inhabit the body and mind of sidekick creatures like Miles “Tales” Prower, the ugly and resentful weasel with a hundred sorry stories, and Knuckles the Australian, a washed-up amateur boxer with an appetite for illicit pharmaceuticals. You can gang up in a co-op mode or compete with other players in competition mode, whatever those things mean.

As always, Sonic is seeking power and glory by subjugating the scientific community, focusing his cruelty and manipulative plots against Dr Eggman, a well-meaning and nervous lab technician seeking to disprove far-fetched “alternative medicines” such as crystal therapy by testing the effects of emeralds on animals. Previous studies have found neither health benefits nor harm arising from exposure to crystals.

You can buy Sonic Mania on Steam for £14.99

Drib says:

RPS is where I go for all the most accurate Sonic news.

2. wraithgr says:

Miles is a fox, not a weasel and his middle name is “Tails” not “Tales” although he probably has some of those to tell. Otherwise this article is 100% factual.

• Brendan Caldwell says:

Please. I think I know my Sonik.

• ColonelFlanders says:

Then why are you posting screenshots from Super Mario?

• Jaeja says:

Clearly a ferret.

(Or possibly a stoat.)

• Napalm Sushi says:

Miles’ slavish replication of Sonic’s every move and immediate reappearance at his side after separation or even death indicate him to be a traumatic manifestation of Sonic’s desperate isolation in the first game, obviously.

3. Xzi says:

“and Knuckles the Australian, a washed-up amateur boxer with an appetite for illicit pharmaceuticals.”

I knew there was a reason I liked him best. What a backstory Sega writes.

4. anon459 says:

Don’t underestimate this game. It’s gorgeous in motion and the quality and variety of gameplay they’ve managed with two dimensions is extremely impressive. The bosses are especially awesome. I think that if you enjoyed sonic generations, you will probably enjoy this.

5. Catweasel says:

So they delayed the PC port for two weeks to patch in always-online DRM, is what I’ve been hearing. Is that really true, cause if so uhhhh, frick.

• Caiman says:

Yes it’s true, possibly the world’s first online-only retro game? Probably not, but the words “get” and “stuffed” in that order seem appropriate here. I say this posting from a 1 bar 3g signal in a small motel room, not enough to even launch Steam so I can’t buy and download it anyway. But if I could, I would be refunding it immediately when I got back into range after finding that out the hard way.

• JaminBob says:

Yes they managed to piss all that goodwill and positivity surrounding the game by adding a type of DRM universally loathed and delaying release specifically to do so.

Its on steam for goodness sake, that will put off 98% of people from pirating. So what a few kids might steal it. The rest of us can’t be bothered.

This seems to happen time and time again. Something I look forward to is ruined by anti customer practice.

The biggest problem is, bug or feature, it needs always online.

So stuff em.

• Deadly Sinner says:

Making it always online was unintended, according to Sega, so they will be patching that out.

6. ColonelFlanders says:

Colonel Flanders’ Finger-licking, chilli dog eatin’ review:

Get it. If you like platformers it’s fantastic, if you like Sonic it’s exactly what you could have hoped for from a ‘true’ Sonic 4.

The level design is fantastic and sprawling, the bosses are inspired, the remaster levels are cleverly and respectfully done, and man the soundtrack is fucking GOOD. 10/10 my GOTY.

/gush

7. Spacewalk says:

Red skies forever.

8. Pheeze says:

Guys, this game uses always-online DRM, Denuvo. Don’t support this release on PC, buy it on Switch or PS4.

• Marclev says:

Yes, I’m going to buy a Switch or PS4 to buy a platform game that I want to play because you don’t like the DRM it uses on PC. That’s going to happen.

In other news, I am not intending to pirate it and therefore couldn’t care less what DRM it uses.

• Uncle Fass says:

Okay, but decades down the line when the server it needs to validate with is shut down, how will you play the game?

• Divolinon says:

I am not intending to pirate and therefore I certainly DO care what DRM it uses.

Why would a pirate care about DRM anyway?

• ColonelFlanders says:

I’m not intending to break the law, so I don’t mind if they tap my phone, watch my browsing habits, and watch my house to see when I get up to have a piss.

I’m not intending to bomb that plane, so I don’t mind if I get violated and my baggage rifled through at the airport.

I’m not intending to steal that game, so i don’t mind if they force to authenticate to a server that might not be there in 5 years, while pirates can just crack it and not worry.

MajorLag says:

There are pretty good reasons to care. Denuvo is horrible even by DRM standards, sometimes causing performance issues in games it is shoved into, and online-only for single player games is the kind of thing that people ought to be beaten with a hose over. That’s without getting into the general DRM problems, like the way it hurts preservation efforts and generally treats legitimate customers like criminals.

• Porkolt says:

I work in maritime shipping, and spend half the year on a boat. I greatly value the few hours I get to spend every day to step away from my 68 hour work week and play some games on my laptop. Unfortunately, shipboard internet is notoriously patchy, which means that online gaming is pretty much impossible. While there are many great single player games, I get pretty much shafted when they are fit with always on DRM, because that means I can’t play them.

But hey, if I’m not planning to pirate it, why should I care?

• Marclev says:

To be fair, I concede that that is actually a pretty good reason to be upset about it!

• BlueTemplar says:

I’m curious, several years ago I had a similar issue with an unstable connection with Steam taking 30 minutes to download a 5MB patch (even though outside of Steam I could get a much faster download rate), making Steam almost impossible to use.
          (Remember that when Steam knows that there’s an update for a game, you won’t be able to play that game, even in Offline Mode, until it has been updated.)

How well does Steam works for you?

• BlueTemplar says:

By this point, my personal view is that when a company uses a DRM on their product (especially one as invasive as Denuvo), then they don’t deserve the (temporary, exception, remember?) of copyright protection, and therefore I don’t feel any moral issues with pirating that product.
        You might think that position is a bit extreme, but have you considered the following issue with DRM?
        link to technologizer.com

9. Spacewalk says:

I thought that Jazz Jackrabbit was supposed to have a gun. Did the stupid chief take it away from him?

10. Marclev says:

Played an hour of this and returned it. Not because of the DRM (although there seems to be plenty enough people upset about that), but because from the moment it started with “Green Hill Zone Act 1” (I had to check I was playing the right game!), it didn’t feel to me like it offered enough new on the games I played over 20-odd years ago on the Sega consoles to warrant the £15 price tag.

The stages I played (Green Hill, Chemical Factory, Flying Battery, err The TV One) felt recycled from previous games and yes they had some innovations and fun gimmicks in them, but not enough to keep me interested.