No U FO! XCOM 2: War of the Chosen released

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen [official site] could almost be named XCOM 3, our Alec thought in his review of the new expansion pack for the alien-mashing tactical game. It adds new factions, new classes, new abilities, new enemies, new bosses, new mission types, and so much more to form a delicious tactical feast. But hark, you no longer need rely upon following Alec’s Instagram platesnaps and his Yelp reviews to get a sense of what War of the Chosen is like. The expansion launched overnight and is now out for all with £35 to spare.

Back to Wot Alec Thinks:

“This is XCOM writ so damn large, so wide and wild and all-consuming, that it gets the same intractable hooks into me that XCOM games always have while also taking me to new places, occupying even more parts of my obsessive brain. It’s true that it’s this ridiculous carnival of ideas and not necessarily complementary themes, and that it would have been better to have a root and branch rethink of the strategy map rather than make it a frenzy of nagging, but despite – maybe even because – of all that, this is the first time than an XCOM or X-COM game can be truly described as an epic.

“Where XCOM 2’s campaign could feel like the drawn-out prelude to the foregone conclusion of the climactic fight, this feels like, if you’ll excuse the term, a long war. It’s a hard-fought bringing together of a rag-tag army of vengeance, with landmark battles and true heroes emerging from the miasma of skirmishes. Sometimes, I shake my head at its absurdity and its noise, but I really cannot get enough of it.”

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen is £34.99/39,99€/$39.99 on Steam. It does require the base game, which currently has 60% off on sale. The DLC season pass for some other odds and ends is on sale too.

Alec has more to say about War of the Chosen soon, I believe, including a video of him somehow doing a million murders in one eleven-minute turn. Like I said, it adds a lot of new tricks and toys.

For now, hey, have 90 minutes of the dev team playing:

1. gwop_the_derailer says:

Strong headline game as usual, Alice.

2. Pogs says:

Is it just me who misses the good ol’ days when all aliens would do is occasionally abduct and probe someone before returning them to a dusty road somewhere in American?

3. Simbosan says:

Use of tobacco violence?

4. BaronKreight says:

This game could use some of this harsh writing. Right now it has this – ‘omg they are abducting ppl! How horrible! How can this be? I can’t take it anymore!’

5. Wormerine says:

Downloading……..

Most important: apparently the fixed performance issues. However, too bad they won’t patch the base game. They might have some legit reasons, like they don’t won’t to break existing mod as most modders will probably move to WotC, but it still sucks. Having to drop $40 to get properly optimized game is not cool.

• Booker says:

That’s exactly what I’m thinking. Stunts like this give me the want to not buy it.

• causticnl says:

most of the performance problems were already solved before this release.

• Booker says:

So your position is that Firaxis is lying about implementing lots of performance improvements only for and in this expansion? Wow!

• Shadow says:

While it’s an understandable concern, I’d wager the majority of people still interested in playing XCOM 2 will be getting the expansion sooner or later, price complaints nonwithstanding.

• klops says:

My XCOM 2 was playing so slow I stopped playing. So counting on the DLC to fix the game that well is not something I’m counting on. My computer is old, but if it handles Dishonored 2, it should handle XCOM 2. Shouldn’t it?

• AngoraFish says:

Well, both games have a “2” in the title, so I would think that you should be okay.

• klops says:

But I’m not, since XCOM 2 does not work properly in my computer.

Dishonored 2 is an FP”S” that has constantly lots going on on the screen. XCOM 2 is a turn based game that’s stuttering even in the map and base modes.

MajorLag says:

Reminds me of the expansion for XCOM:EU, which added helpful things like highlighting what grenades would actually hit, and kept them just for the update.

phuzz says:

It’s slightly more complicated than “XCOM 2 runs slow”, it’s “XCOM 2 runs slow on certain hardware configurations“. (eg it ran just fine for me at launch on a mid range PC)
      And if you’ve done support for software before you’ll know that tracking down exactly which combination of hardware is causing problems, and why, is not as straightforward as the average internet commentator thinks.

6. Merry says:

£27.92 from 2game.com

7. Moraven says:

More XCom 2 and Mario X-Com on the same day. What to play first.

Comment on this story