Cheap Thief and Deus Ex: it’s Square Enix week at GOG

squaresale

GOG is having itself a Square Enix sale this week, which means a whole lot more than just Hitman and Tomb Raider for once. In fact, if you were to ask me, some of the most interesting things in this sale are the games you may have completely forgotten existed – like Gex, the gecko with attitude, Pandemonium, in which a lady runs to the right alongside a terrifying jester thing, and Omikron: The Nomad Soul which features a virtual David Bowie.

Oh, and you can get Deus Ex for a couple of quid, and it’s the same for any of the original Thief trilogy. The vast majority of the titles are dirt cheap, and you’ll be getting the lovely DRM-free versions of the games as is the GOG way.

gex

Here are some of the highlights of stuff you can get this week:

Deus Ex GOTY Edition for £1.99 / $2.49 / €2.19
Anarchonox for £1.19 / $1.49 / €1.29
Gex for £1.19 / $1.49 / €1.29
Startopia for £1.19 / $1.49 / €1.29
Urban Chaos for £1.19 / $1.49 / €1.29
Omikron: The Nomad Soul for £1.99 / $2.49 / €2.19

Square Enix Week sale from GOG.com

As it’s a sale with the word ‘week’ in the title, you probably won’t be surprised to learn that this one is set to expire at the end of the weekend, so get in there and pick up a copy of Gex while you can. He’s a Gecko wearing sunglasses, man, I mean come on.

1. Jay Load says:

Bought Omikron: The Nomad Soul (because they’ve fixed it to work on modern machines, apparently) and the Tomb Raider: Revelations/Chronicles bundle (because Revelations is, according to the reviews, up there with the very first game in terms of actual Tomb Raiding).

Question though: has Deus Ex ever NOT been on sale for a couple of quid? And the follow up: who hasn’t bought the game by now, apart from those that weren’t born when it was made?

• Kaeoschassis says:

I actually took advantage of the sale to buy DX for a friend who’d never played it, even though he’s around my age (I’m 28) and an enthusiastic gamer. I refused to let that travesty stand.

• Unclepauly says:

You’re a decent human being. Unlike every person I’ve ever known who hasn’t bought me or EVEN TOLD ME there was a Deus Ex game. I had to learn about it like 6-7 yrs ago(thru the webs). Of course it’s now in my top 5 bestest ever

Drib says:

I’m pretty sure I already own multiple copies of most of these games.

That said, hey! It’s a good collection of titles that people ought to buy, if they can tolerate aging UIs.

• Unclepauly says:

I’m one of those people who doesn’t give 2 craps about UI’s. Bring em on

3. JakeOfRavenclaw says:

In contrast to common wisdom, I feel compelled to tell people that Invisible War is actually quite good–replayed it recently, and for my money it has the most interesting story of any Deus Ex (the tiny levels are, admittedly, something you have to learn to live with). Also the only Deus Ex in which you can play as a woman (Laura Bailey, in one of her first video game roles!), and the only Deus Ex to actually make the Illuminati ending seem like a semi-reasonable choice. I love the newer games too, but the ideas in this one just feel bigger (while still maintaining the goofy sense of humor that got lost in the reboot).

Anyone have thoughts on Project Eden? I’d never heard of it, but it seems like the kind of nonsense I might enjoy.

• ThricebornPhoenix says:

Does GOG have a functional version? I have IW on Steam and can’t clear the first stage because of the bugs, which include at least two different CTDs.

• JakeOfRavenclaw says:

Couldn’t say, sorry. The Steam version worked fine for me on Windows 10 (I’m using a texture pack and an ini tweak to force widescreen, but other than that it’s pure vanilla).

• ResonanceCascade says:

There is a fan patch out there that significantly clears up issues, especially high resolutions and the weird crash to desktop stuff IIRC.

• Unclepauly says:

Yeah I just applied whatever that fan patch was and voila perfect game.

• Imaginary Llamas says:

I played and finished Project Eden a little while ago. It was made by the Tomb Raider devs, and is a rather fun mixture of combat and puzzles. The combat itself and your squad AI is rather bleh, but the setting and the puzzles are quite fun.

4. klops says:

There’s also Humble Bundle, with interesting but apparently bland The flame in the flood and Human Fallflat for 1 €uro. Put a couple more and you get Samorost 3 praised by JW and Vermintide.

5. Kollega says:

I just wish Hitman: Blood Money was on GOG. I’m more interested in it than the earlier games, because of its more sandboxy nature. Although maybe Contracts, being in part the highlight reel of previous two Hitman games, can scratch the same itch?

• Jalan says:

Even though it will leave the door open for a lot of… cheery… responses: Blood Money is the only Hitman game anyone should play. And, like yourself, it’s a game I really want GOG to sell but feel personally that the ship has sailed for some odd reason or another.

6. Kaeoschassis says:

The real reason for this sale is for people who’ve never played the Legacy of Kain games to play the Legacy of Kain games (though blood omen 2 is optional as it was developed by a different team and is only tangentially related to the plot).

While you’re at it, see if you can “find” Blood Omen 1 anywhere (for example, by maybe googling “blood omen portable”), because in many ways it’s still a highlight of the series, and if you’re playing through the whole story its events are actually pretty worthwhile.

7. Rituro says:

Startopia for under $2?! Steal of a deal. Great game. Heh, I have this lasting memory of EB Games trying to sell it for $60 back in the day way, way after launch. It went about as well as you might expect.

(In other words, I made do with the PC Gamer demo and waited for GOG to exist. A winner is me!)

8. poliovaccine says:

Oh wow, not bad actually. Everyone knows that Thief and Deus Ex are incontrovertibly awesome, but I’d also recommend Omikron and Startopia both in a heartbeat. In fact I still play Startopia sometimes… and coincidentally, I saw the name David Cage one too many times just the other day and I started wondering how Omikron holds up today, so hey, good timing. I’d still recommend it to anyone who ever played older games and knows how to look past their obvious limits. Startopia plays like a modern game, though.