Competition: Share your memories of Obsidian games

Our cousins at Eurogamer are running a competition between now and Tuesday 12th September in which they’re asking for you to share your memories of Obsidian’s games. They’ll then select their favourite reminiscences and reward the authors with prizes, from free games (on many platforms) to free consoles. You can find more instructions at the link above, as well as read the many existing entries in the comments including stories of South Park: The Stick of Truth, Fallout: New Vegas, and more.

As described by Eurogamer:

“We’re indulging in a bit of a celebration of the work of veteran role-playing game studio Obsidian Entertainment over the next couple of weeks, and as part of that we would love you to share memories of your favourite moments from Obsidian’s classic games, past and present. We’ll be rewarding our favourite memories with prizes!

“The prizes come courtesy of Paradox Interactive, which is publishing a couple of Obsidian titles this month”

We’ll have a few articles about Obsidian games of our own over the next couple of weeks. In the meantime, this Fallout: New Vegas anecdote from Eurogamer reader The_Legacy is nice:

“My character had been plowing through the Mojave for a week or so, again in hardcore mode, battered, tattered, carrying a couple hundred pounds of items ranging from energy weapons to useful junk, barely having seen enough water to drink, let alone wash. Then she finds a puncture in one of the pipe lines in the area, from which water pours more heavenly than mana. It felt like it had been ages since my character, and by extension I, could relax and allow her to take off her back-bending heavy armor, ripped off of a killed centurion. The delight that came from something as simple as taking an improvised shower, surrounded by daring patches of grass and bighorners grazing nearby, was unexpectedly, splendidly refreshing, and reminded me: with all the horrors in the wastes, the rare beautiful moments become ever so more intense as well; and if grass and joy can still grow here, then putting that armor back on and persisting in good intention may be worth it yet.”

Keep in mind that you won’t receive any prizes for sharing thoughts under this post, which isn’t to say you shouldn’t do so anyway just for fun.

subdog says:

I remember stalking my way through one of the first missions of Alpha Protocol, meticulously timing my movements and stealth takedowns to clear the level one section at a time. Then I reloaded a save and all of the enemies magically respawned. Good times.

• wombat191 says:

Ha I loved Alpha Protocol. I remember getting to the end, siding with the villain only to back stab him and give him not the data he wanted but an actual explosive, which was set off as I drove me speed boat off into the sunset

2. Drinking with Skeletons says:

I shared my opinion on Mask of the Betrayer (and, I suppose, NWN2 in general, one of Obsidian’s more underrated, or at least under-discussed, gems). I won’t win, because I never win contests, but hopefully someone will be inspired to give NWN2 a whirl.

• Great Cthulhu says:

Oh man, NWN2 was sooo much better than the original*. And Mask of the Betrayer was better still. Everyone who likes Planescape: Torment owes it to themselves to try MotB.

* In single player at least. I have no opinion on the multiplayer.

3. Tycow says:

The RPS Wot I Think of New Vegas.

/me runs

In all honesty, one of the stand out moments for me was in New Vegas, when you’re helping Boone find who sold his wife.

The whole game was full of stand out moments, and great writing. :-)

Never expected the result of the correct accusation!

subdog says:

That review is up there with “Pathological Liar” and “Cadaver Torso Statue” for great moments in RPS infamy.

• klops says:

“Are you a pathological liar?” was a valid question in my mind. For some reason Molyneux had got a free pass for more than a decade without almost anyone confronting him and the press always giving him more text-space to promote his games with… well, lies.

4. Seafoam says:

Fallout New Vegas in it’s entirety.

Most importantly my cowboy character, just the fact that you could use perks to make your character a sixshooting-quickdrawing-headshotting-paragon of justice is one of the best experiences I’ve had in games.
    A ranger duster and a cowboy hat, wandering from town to town, protecting the innocent with my trusty revolver. And when all is done and justice is delivered, travel to the strip and relax by playing blackjack.

Kinda like Red Dead Redemption but on PC, the game so is wonderfully open ended that even that sort of play-style is completely viable.

• wombat191 says:

New Vegas was great for roleplaying. I remember being on the strip and thinking.. I’m taking the night off..

I went and got dressed up, visited a few casino’s, caught a show :D it was a nice night :D

5. Tern1010 says:

Armored Warfare

I played it, but made no memory of it beyond being surprised that Obsidian made it.

Otherwise, Southpark for being surprisingly awesome.

6. Monggerel says:

The sheer shock when I realized that Ulysses, the omnicidal antagonist of Lonesome Road (the final DLC campaign for New Vegas) was basically a splendidly malicious summary of all my gripes and resentments towards the circularity of the Fallout universe (and its *final* iteration in New Vegas, Fallout 4’s nonsense notwithstanding), and basically seemed to be my evil twin – the only difference is that I still felt bad about nuking everything that isn’t nailed to the Mojave. And that I couldn’t bring myself to do anything but an Independent Vegas / NCR run of the game.

I tried to talk Ulysses down, but halfway through the encounter decided that no, that’s not right – I had to kill him, because he was basically my own Jungian blast shadow seared onto the canyon walls of the Divide. To spare him would be tantamount to surrender, to simply ignoring the confrontation with myself and turning a blind eye to it.

And then the Lonesome Road was over, and Ulysses was laid to rest, his shroud the same old world flag he carried like a grudge. And I was free to do what I would never have done otherwise, which was side with Robert House whose political agenda I simply never could have stomached before, bloodstain on chest like map of violent new continent.

So thank you, Obsidian, you made me a worse person! And that is the greatest gift of all.

MajorLag says:

I can’t think of any meaningful experience I’ve had in an Obsidian game. I just keep recalling endless hours of crouch-walking through enormous dungeons, stealing everything not nailed down and on fire, agonizing over what worthless crap I should drop so I can pick up more worthless crap, and backstabbing people. Once I backstabbed a dragon to death in one hit with the special backstab knife of stealthy backstabbery.

• Velthaertirden says:

Are you sure that you are not mistaking Obsidian for Bethesda?

MajorLag says:

No. Which one made what again?

What can I say, I looked at the image accompanying the article and my ignorance did the rest.

• Dezmiatu says:

If you’re talking about Skyrim, then I have to agree backstabbing dragons in one shot with a dagger is fun but such a bitch. I kept running into the tail or wings, negating my stealth bonuses.

8. Konservenknilch says:

I only played New Vegas this year. Yeah, I’m late to the party. The reason was that I never enjoyed Fallout 3 all that much, and NV seemed like a glorified expansion pack. Boy, was I wrong – I love that game. Except for one thing: I planned to finish the main quest, then get to all the DLC. So I fought the battle for Hoover Dam, which was anyway a bit silly since I already wiped the entire Caesar camp, and the game… ends? Bethesda games always let you continue after the main quest, so this was really unexpected, and also quite annoying.

9. Michael Fogg says:

I have a somewhat unpopular take: F:NV actually marked the decline of the Fallout series with its portrayal of the post nuclear war society as a dime-novel frontiersland in place of the more grounded visions in the previous games (especially the first two).

• Werthead says:

Especially the first two…which were effectively also made by Obsidian (except they were called Black Isle back then, but the same key players were in place).

Although that doesn’t invalidate the appraisal. I think the Fallout universe took a serious hammer to plausibility with first the time-jump between the first two games (which made it too far after the bombs to be a real post-apocalyptic game) and then Bethesda taking over for Fallout 3, where a lot of the more serious ideas about civilisation-building and surviving the post-post apocalypse were chucked out the window. New Vegas was hamstrung by existing in the more simplistic Bethesda view of the Fallout universe, but I think Obsidian still did a tremendous job of making a more complex and interesting game in that straitjacket.

• wombat191 says:

You mean more grounded like Fallout 2 where I stumbled upon a crashed Federation shuttle and a cafe where the npc’s hung out in between scenes?

10. InternetBatman says:

I’ve played almost every Obsidian game and backed them twice on Figstarter. They are without a doubt my favorite developer. What I appreciate most about their output is the experimentation and their masterful understanding of what makes RPGs tick.

Fallout New Vegas took Bethesda’s game and grounded it in reality, which allowed them to create a sense of wonder in the ending of OWB. Kotor II deconstructed Star Wars and prevented the player with a problem that couldn’t be solved by lightsabers. Alpha Protocol was years ahead of its time in dialogue reactivity. Pillars took a look at every tiny flaw in RTP systems and tried to fix them. Even standard NWN 2 had Shandra Jerro as an anti – RPG Hero; she meets strangers with powers and life gradually gets worse and worse.

By far my favorite Obsidian moment is from NWN2. I normally play a character who maxes dialogue skills and savescum my way to the optimal outcome. Dialogue is frequently an “I win” button in these games. In NWN 2, there’s one moment where you go to burn down a building. As you make your escape, a cop catches you red-handed. He asks what you’re doing, and you have the option to try to convince him that you’re not holding a torch, when it’s right there, in front of him. Of course the dialogue check doesn’t work, and he gets mad. There is a better path through the conversation. But every time I play the game, I tell the same lie, complicit in a joke about my behavior.

11. Podarkes says:

I’d paste my old story, but it’s in Russian and I’ve got no time to translate it, besides it will be lost among Eurogamer’s bounty hunters. Nevertheless I want to share it, because I love 2 things – some of Obsidian games and RPS, so if you are interested and know Russian, you are welcome to read it here – link to games.d3.ru