Fallout: Project Brazil becomes Fallout: New California

Crumbs, four years since we last posted about wildly ambitious Fallout: New Vegas prequel mod Project Brazil [ModDB page] and it’s still not finished. It is a mighty big project, adding a fully-voiced new campaign in a new wasteland. But hold strong! “We are beginning our final approach to releasing this gargantuan mod,” developers Radian-Helix Media said today, repeating that they expect to launch it later this year. They also revealed that it’ll actually be named Fallout: New California.

The mod focuses on folks from Vault 18, where Enclave traitors are hatching a dastardly plan and we spat out onto the surface in adventures that’ll shape the future.

“Vault 18 is at the heart of the California Wasteland high in the San Bernardino Mountains, and its legendary Wasteland Scouts have managed to keep its secrets safe for decades despite the wars raging beyond the great door. In their old age, their adventures have created a new generation to take their place… if their rebellious adopted kids survive the threat brewing within their own ranks.

“You will face the New California Republic under president Wendell Peterson, the New Reno Mob’s Bishop Family, the remnant Shi Clans, The Enclave Leonidas Squadron, the Super Mutant Army, and the ‘legions’ of bloodthirsty Survivalist Raider Tribes that have allied together in the remote Athens-Tec Uranium Mine off the Long I-15.”

So off you and your rag-tag group of survivor chums go, figuring out your place in the world. And, somehow, setting it up for the events of New Vegas. That’s across a new story with new locations, new quests, new companions, and all that, all with voice acting.

Fallout: New California has been in development for almost eight years, started in October 2009. Radian-Helix released several short beta versions in 2013 but nothing since. But back in June, they showed a two-hour, five-part (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) look at its then-current alpha state. Here, this starts with a brief recap and coos at how much prettier parts have become over the years, then launches into gameplay.

The way Americans pronounce “twat” will never not feel like my ears are trying to swallow a tap.

1. Peppergomez says:

Is Fallout NV even a game that merits ambitious mods like this? I mean, that game engine…

Based on my time with it, I’d say no.

• Abacus says:

Well most of Bethesda’s games since Oblivion have been on modified versions of the same Gamebryo engine. New Vegas uses it. New Vegas has a very dedicated fanbase who appreciated what Obsidian were doing with Fallout and want to extend that vision even further.

• Pich says:

New Vegas is the best thing to come out of that mess of an engine, Obsidian deserves a freaking statue.

• Peppergomez says:

Weren’t Obsidian’s acomplishments with FO:NV more in terms of the story and writing than with the engine? It was one seriously ugly game, built on a seriously janky engine.

• haldolium says:

Oh yes. Obsidian was never good when they used Biowares or the even worse engine from Bethesda.

Sadly its enough to put me off Fallout especially. I loathe the way characters look and speak (thx Bethesda). Kills off any kind of possibility to relate to any character or the words they speak. Breaks the immersion more as a black screeen would.

• Esin12 says:

I think it’s a little extreme to say Obsidian was “never good” with these engines. KOTOR 2 was amazing, and better than 1 in my opinion (despite it’s faults at times). As was NV. Sure, they had their issues, but to say they were never good is a disservice to them because, at this point, they’re probably the only larger RPG making studio that I still trust.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

New Vegas had the better writing but the world itself isn’t as much fun to explore as Fallout 3 or 4.

• Stevostin says:

OTOH it’s best RPG ever made on a computer. So making a game for the ppl who played it is a nice manifesto for creator’s ambitions.

• antszy says:

Lolololololol

• Werthead says:

I wouldn’t agree it’s the best RPG ever made for a computer, but I also don’t see it being an offensive choice for that position (plus it seems to really annoy Bethesda when anyone tells them that New Vegas is comfortably superior to their Fallout games, which is a bonus). What would your choice be?

• Zenicetus says:

The high points like the Old World Blues DLC transcended the janky engine. So if the writing is good enough for this project, the engine won’t matter that much.

Also, the timing is good (assuming it releases soon-ish). There are some fans who can’t get enough of the Fallout setting. It’s been a while since Fallout 4, without much news on whatever is coming next in the series.

2. Sakkura says:

I knew the Patriots were up to no good, regardless of how great they are at handegg (“football”).

3. automatic says:

Why would it be called Project Brazil anyway? Game devs already struggle trying to represent a single city straight, imagine a whole country…

4. rambo919 says:

Is there a actual reason the boobs in this mod need partially unzipped suits? Is the ventilation bad and the vault is especially hot?

• Deviija says:

That was my first thought upon seeing those suits. The other dudes sure seem to be wearing bulky layers and suits just fine. Guess there was a shortage of suits that fit right.

• snoopkatt says:

Maybe it’s the fashion of the vault? Are you actually putting forth the strange notion that men and women wear exactly the same clothing?

Phasma Felis says:

They do in most of the vaults we’ve seen.

But seriously, I would welcome a thoughtful attempt at varying fashions. Don’t pretend that that’s the same thing as the usual “HURR TITS”.

5. Doug Exeter says:

I would play a completely broken version of this game for 8 hours straight than ever install that turd Fallout 4 again.

• Crusoe says:

I finally tried Fallout 4 last weekend.

I knew what was coming, but it upset me anyway.

Now I’m waiting for this, as a real Fallout experience, more than ever.

• Doug Exeter says:

It really is the worst thing. I played it for 35 hours so I got my money’s worth but the last 10 hours I was actively wondering why the hell I was still playing it.

• wombat191 says:

Meanwhile I’m clocking in at 1800 hours for Fallout 4 :D

Neurotic says:

With a hard ‘a’, as we do in London, or with a round ‘o’? (Like in ‘orange’).

7. wombat191 says:

I normally don’t pay attention to these big total conversion mods as frankly 99% of them eventually fold but this actually looks like it might make the distance

8. Samudaya says:

So many babed up females with their tits out. Not interested.

9. modzero says:

Ugh, the preview really creeped me out. The most impractical way to wear a jacket is used by most women, there’s a creepy dude with “I’m a mentor” attitude, and, uh, the insult used at 14:29. The thing is gross af.

10. UnConsolable says:

Twat @ 15:00 and a odd second or two.