And then Geralt lived happily ever after

Few witchers live to have a happy ending but shucks, our lad Geralt has done well for himself. With the tenth birthday of The Witcher games nearing (end of October), a new video from developers CD Projekt Red shows him having a big old knees-up with his mates and loved ones. He is my favourite of all tired old digital men and has been through a lot over a decade and three games. I didn’t realise quite how much I cared for this motley crew until I started tearing up seeing them reunited. Bless ’em.

Ooh gets me right there. Reflection is for jerks. DON’T ASK ME ABOUT ANYTHING.

The Witcher games, based on Andrzej Sapkowski’s novels, turn 10 on October 26th. They’re perhaps my favourite RPG series, with so much heart and characters I came to really care for. And I always liked the eponymous monster hunter, Geralt, but by the third game technology had caught up to allow him such good performances. His pauses, sighs, little gestures, and resigned tone carry such a weariness with the horrors he sees – worst of all those committed by people. Seeing him comfortable here, ah, he’s earned it.

It has been a rocky journey at times, with a lot of patches and updates needed to get some of the games up to scratch, but I think of it so fondly. I’ll miss this lot. Gwent, the standalone spin-off from The Witcher 3’s in-world card game, will have a singleplayer campaign written by Witcher folks but it won’t be the same.

CD Projekt Red are done with big adventures for Geralt. Their next big RPG will be Cyberpunk 2077, set in the world of the dystopian pen & paper RPG.

1. LTK says:

I miss Iorveth. ;_;

• nunka says:

Iorveth, sure – but…

(book spoilers)

I miss Milva and Angoulême more.

Also I would pay good money for a spinoff game of Ciri schlepping about on other worlds. Also maybe hanging out with Iorveth.

• LTK says:

Ciri and Iorveth never met, did they? He only ever got a passing mention in the books, as I remember. It’s such a shame he never got to conclude his own story. What happened with Saskia and Vergen was relegated to a comic book, but we never see or hear from Iorveth again, even if he was potentially magicked half to death and whisked away to Vergen at the end of the second game.

• SaunteringLion says:

Yeah, in the books the only mention he gets is as leading a Scoia’tael commando unit, no elaboration.

His characterization and place within the story (and even his very physical description) are point-for-point Isengrim though.

• nunka says:

Ciri and Regis met for all of two seconds, and yet he’s the first person she hugs in this video. :p

But mostly I just want Ciri to have adventures with some Aen Seidhe. Whether that’s Iorveth, Isengrim, Toruviel… I don’t really care, as long as they’re not huge jerks like the Aen Elle.

2. svge says:

I don’t often physically cringe but I almost had to turn it off when everyone gets in the frame and cheers the viewer.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Everyone looks a little (a lot?) derpy when they’re happy, lol.

• nunka says:

Kind of fits, if you think about it, considering how the world of The Witcher is perpetually fucked up and full of suffering. The smiles are strained because happiness is fleeting. ;_;

• Blackcompany says:

Its a double entendre. If you listen closely…they’re actually toasting Vesemir, within the context of the world. But yeah…they’re also definitely toasting the players, which is kinda nice.

3. zombiewarrior07 says:

Looks like Geralt is in for some lovin’ tonight!

4. Freud says:

They’ve come a long way. From the titty cards you got after sexing humans and beasts up in the first game to one of the best female characters in a video game ever in Ciri.

• RuySan says:

I suspected the titty cards was a way of having sex scenes in the game without having to deal with embarassing CGI. But they were interpreted wrong.

I still prefer those to many other games attempts at “serious” sex scenes.

5. TotallyUseless says:

Congratulations to CDPR and Geralt.

Didn’t really got in to the earlier Witcher games, but goodness, Witcher 3 was a blast.

6. Unclepauly says:

Geralts gone soft. I almost teared up in agony.

7. UnholySmoke says:

Something…in my eye.

Although, shame they had to keep it open-ended on the romance front, when everyone knows Yen was the one to go for.

• Herring says:

Them’s fighting words.

• brulleks says:

I ended up with Yen, and felt it was a fitting ending, despite the fact that throughout the whole series I’d been trying to shack up with Triss.

• Solidstate89 says:

Triss is the only real option and I’ll fite your IRL.

• Imperialist says:

I guess, if you like psycho crazy stalker women. Thats what Triss is.

• Cederic says:

Why? What’s there to fight about?

You have Triss, and I’ll go for Yen. Everybody wins.

Except Yen.

• RuySan says:

My Geralt ended up all alone because his heart was always with Shani.

Yen is such a drama queen. And to be honest i liked W2 Triss way more than W3 Triss.

• Herring says:

Pre-Patch Triss didn’t have much in W3 (I assume Yen was “canonical”). But I held a torch for W2 Triss :)

Masked Dave says:

You’re quite clearly mad, Triss was his true love by the end of Witcher 3.

The Yen he was chasing was half a memory, an ideal, the actual woman was never able to live up to, but Triss was a real person.

Maybe at one time, before he lost his memory, he was in love with Yen. I believe that to be true. But after everything they’d been through together, Triss was the only right and honest choice for him.

Choosing to let Yen go, it was the mature choice. A point of growth for his character. More importantly she’d get over it pretty easily as I think Geralt was the same thing to her now, just a memory of love. Leaving Triss would have broken her heart and there was just no way I could do that to her.

When she came back for him… probably the happiest an ingame moment I can think of.

• Auldman says:

Yennefer is who he ends up with in the books. He is never seriously interested in Triss and only CDPR ever put them together. Yen is canonical although gamers may have other ideas. Having read the books I can never put him with Triss. Yen is also the woman Ciri considers as her mother. Geralt and Yen are meant to be together.

8. mf says:

Right in the fucking feels

9. DeadCanDance says:

Cried now and when he finally finds Ciri. Been through hell alright.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Meh.

11. ariston says:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww… damn, got me too.

And made me think about how ‘important’ these virtual experiences can be. For better and worse, I guess.

12. AutonomyLost says:

That was short and sweet. I’m glad they put it together to honor the series and clearly the base of fans they’ve garnered. They deserve every bit of praise they’ve gotten for their craftsmanship and continued support for the game post-release, including, of course, the two enormous and exquisite expansions/DLCs.

Thanks for the memories, CDPR; as it happens, I am just about to settle back in to my NG+ I set aside months and months ago. It’ll be the perfect quest to carry me through the Fall and Winter! I can’t wait to see what’s in store with Cyberpunk.

13. heretikeen says:

Aah, the hero worship. Nice to see the proven “super cool supernatural guy with white hair, swords and magic” formula still works.

• puppybeard says:

I think you mean “best super cool supernatural guy with white hair, swords and magic ever

subdog says:

The “perpetually over-it guy calling out tropes in the comments section” is always fresh though.

• SaunteringLion says:

It might seem that way, but the thing is, Geralt and the Witcher series are a subversion.

In a traditional fantasy story, or power fantasy, Geralt would be the Chosen One, gifted with powers nobody else has, destined for greatness and stopping the apocalyptic evil (a la Rand al’Thor, Richard Rahl), super good at everything he does. But he ain’t.

But the story isn’t Geralt’s story. He’s perpetually broke. He never wields real power. He’s an amazing swordsman, but his magic is piddling.

The story is Ciri’s story, which is unusual for most fantasy: it’s rare that the Chosen One is a girl, and rarer still that they’re not the protagonist or point-of-view.

14. brulleks says:

Beautiful. A lovely way to sign off from the series. A bit odd seeing at least one character who’d met an untimely death because of my slowness though.

• Zenicetus says:

Yep, same here; there was a brief appearance by one character that made it non-canon for my game. Just a minor character though, so it didn’t spoil it. All the core family and friends were there. A great send-off for the best RPG series I’ve ever played.

15. satan says:

Still surprises me that they maintained such high quality for so long, and went out at their peak, without any of the drama we’ve seen plaguing other series/studios. Probably because they weren’t bought out by some giant game-destroying corporation, e.g. ea/activision.

16. tsff22 says:

The only thing that sours this otherwise great moment is that it means that Syanna canonically gets away with her crimes.

Ninja Dodo says:

How so? In the arguably best ending of Blood & Wine [SPOILER] both the truth comes out AND the sisters are reconciled. I mean it wasn’t exactly a black & white “she’s the baddie” situation…[/SPOILER]

• tsff22 says:

Syanna wanted to murder her sister, the only person who actually cared about her despite her curse, for a crime she didn’t commit, and very nearly caused Toussaint to be destroyed because of her selfish shortsightedness in betraying Detlaff.

And if this is anything to go by, she doesn’t even serve any jail time.

Ninja Dodo says:

As I recall, she didn’t know that (as far as she could tell her sister had turned her back on her) and it is the combination of Geralt reasoning with Syanna and Henrietta’s response when she learns her sister meant to kill her that causes her to let go of her bitterness. The siege of Beauclair (though indirectly caused by events she set in motion) was not her doing. That’s on Dethlaff. The other killings were revenge for past crimes by the lords. You can debate whether full amnesty is appropriate but I found it be as close to a happy ending as you can get in the world of the Witcher.

To be honest, for all his heartfelt remorse, I’m more surprised someone would invite the Bloody Baron to a party. Though I’m not sure “who is a good enough person to be at this table” is really the point of the video.

17. Hussain Ali says:

Well, care and dedication has a way of showing itself. For me, this one video has more character and personality than some of the whole goddamn games!

CDPR, you glorious bastards!

P.S.: Did anyone else notice Gaunter-o-Dimm, standing a little beside Baron, sporting a moustache in a knight’s armor? Please tell me that’s him! Besides Geralt, he’s my favorite character in the Witcher lore!

• LTK says:

I noticed that guy, I have no idea who he is but I’m sure he isn’t Gaunter. Perhaps one of the knights-errant of Toussaint?

• nunka says:

It’s Damien de la Tour, captain of Anarietta’s Ducal Guard.

(Edited for dumb.)

• RuySan says:

He’s one of the creepiest villains ever for sure. Just the music when he’s on the scene is chilling.

18. Ben King says:

Geralt finally slayed the most enigmatic monster of them all: The Fourth Wall.

• Zenicetus says:

There is a 4th wall-breaking moment like that at the ending of the Blood and Wine DLC (maybe not all the possible endings?). He looks directly at the player/camera and gives a brief nod, basically the same “didn’t we have a time!” sentiment as this video.

At first I thought it was a little jarring, but on reflection it was entirely appropriate.

subdog says:

By far the most fitting thing about this is that Roach glitched his way indoors for the group picture.

• ColonelFlanders says:

“ah, this FUCKING HORSE” is my most spoken phrase while playing The Witcher 3 by a country mile.

• LTK says:

Mine is “For fuck’s sake Roach!” and “For fuck’s sake Geralt!” depending on the situation.

20. heretic says:

Such an epic game, really high up there as one of my favourite games ever.

I wonder if they really won’t do any more, Andrzej Sapkowski is still alive and there’s material they haven’t covered.

Still, maybe it’s one of these games that doesn’t need a sequel as it wrapped up quite well in Toussaint.

• Zenicetus says:

Yeah, I don’t see how they could do anything further with Geralt. His story has been told, as far as the games go.

A Ciri spin-off might work, maybe as a prequel about her coming of age before the events of Witcher 3, because she’s practically a demigod by the end of this game. I don’t think any of the other characters have the gravitas to carry a sequel. Probably best just to leave it here as a landmark game series.

• ColonelFlanders says:

I agree, in my eyes it truly is a masterpiece. There are a good few wonky bits smattered throughout the game, but to me that’s what really shows that this game is so fucking great – most games would get panned for their bugs and glitches, whereas the Witcher was venerated in spite of them.

• Malagate says:

Simple really, get a new IP. If they’ve got a thing for swords, white haired magic guys, big monsters and crapsack worlds then I don’t think there’s a shortage of material available (hmm, Elric of Melniboné – Witcher style anyone?).

Christ I’m old, I can still remember when people were taking the piss out of the name for being a bit grammatically odd – that was whilst it was in development. It’s come so far that it’s pretty much a household name now, a high standard amongst RPGs. Kudos.

21. racccoon says:

Witcher is the best.

Ninja Dodo says:

An extraordinary game and series. The first was intriguing, the second was impressive and the third was AMAZING. Can’t wait to see what they do with Cyberpunk.

Masked Dave says:

Aww, that’s nice of them.

24. kse1977 says:

Loved the first Witcher game and always feel a bit bummed that it never got the love it deserved. Granted it is not Witcher 3, but I still think it was a fine game, which showcased how brutal some of the decisions you made were. Not to mention it was a cool introduction to the character, series and world.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

It was a bit rough but definitely unique and the final boss twist was kinda cool.

25. Ducce says:

I want to kiss CD Project Red right on the lips

26. Chaoslord AJ says:

What a great journey it was. I even learned to like Gwent in the end.
    So sad there’s nothing left to do after exploring all twists, difficulties and achievements, getting all cards and sets.
    Maybe mod it to death or play it without map and fast travel?
    Or play it completely with Polish voice-over?

Ninja Dodo says:

Related, Witcher 10th Anniversary PAX panel: link to youtube.com

(haven’t watched it yet, but this should be good)