Steamworld Dig 2 release date unearthed

Bot oil salesman

Colourful shovel-em-up SteamWorld Dig: A Fistful of Dirt is getting a sequel, didn’t you know (you did) and the release date is now September 21, we’ve been told. But, oh no, that’s for the Nintendo Switch. SteamWorld Dig 2 [official site] will come out on Steam on the slightly vague “a few days later”. No worries, that’s still mere weeks from this particular arbitrary fraction of our temporal reality we’re calling “Monday”. Here’s a wee trailer showing off some of the pickaxing, grappling-hooking and monster-bashing.

You play as a new dig-bot, searching for the missing protagonist of the last game, Rusty. I got to play a teeny bit of it on a laptop at Gamescom. The controls were as smooth as freshly pooped silk and I liked climbing up them walls and digging for jewels. But having missed the original I couldn’t directly tell what was different. The biggest complaint from players, according to Brjánn Sigurgeirsson, CEO of Image & Form, was that there just wasn’t enough of it. So they’ve aimed to make this one longer and introduced more characters and shopkeepers at whom to throw one’s gems. They’ve also put aside the procedural generation of the original and designed the layers of earth beneath your feet in a more hands-on way, I’m told.

A dirt-covered sequel is good news for the likes of John ‘Loves Muck’ Walker, who left the original with a very happy face. He described it as “Spelunky for people who don’t like restarting all the time”. It’s part of the same Steamyverse as SteamWorld Heist, the turn-based space pirate romp with clever use of real-time aiming.

1. eeguest says:

I hope now it is enough

2. Nevard says:

I’m starting to fall into the position where if an indie game is available on the Switch, I’ll buy it on there rather than my PC.
    My PC is my main gaming machine, but it’s hard to compete with the portability.

• Stevostin says:

Unless you have a Surface… Although you’ll still need some form of controler.

Anyway, really liked the 1st one. Hope this one is great too.

• Crafter says:

Same thing here, I will buy this on the Switch.
      Whether it is on my TV or on the go, it is just a better experience.

Qazinsky says:

And why shouldn’t you! I know that this is a PC site, but the community seems pretty laid back in general, no reason to be defensive because you prefer it on a console. Same with people buying a laptop for gaming, or using a gamepad.

Let’s all just forget all that tribal us vs them junk and play our games how we want to.

As an aside, I have considered buying a Switch, mainly for that new Zelda game though.

• UncleLou says:

Same thing here. I’ve still not bought Hollow Knight even in the sale because I’d rather have it on the Switch.

Good thing that many indie games seem to come out at the same time. I also have a Vita, but it was always useless as an indie machine for me because I usually had bought the game 12 months earlier for my PC.

• InternetBatman says:

I always felt like PC and Nintendo complement each other well. Nintendo has so many great 1st party games, but it’s not great for a complete system. The PC is a great system for most games, but lacks Nintendo’s.

• emertonom says:

I’m leaning the other way. I find it’s really hard to replay old games once I’ve put away the console they were on, and I miss them. PC games tend to last a lot better these days.

3. iamgenestarwind says:

um i really want this to be on pc i hate the idea of it being switch only because i dont have anywhere near enough money to get a switch i really hate how video game companies are ignoring the pc market and i can hear ppl going but you can buy pc games online and yes you can but is there a store in the real world no the only gaming stores i have seen in the city are ebgames and they dont sell pc games any more i also feel angry about this because it reminds me of planets vs zombies 2 which you cant play on the pc

• UncleLou says:

I am not entirely sure what your point is – no boxed copy? The Switch version will be digital-only, too. At least at first.

• Mandrake42 says:

*Blinks* Um. You do realise this is going to be available on PC right? There is a Steam page up for it already: link to store.steampowered.com

It is not a Switch exclusive so you won’t need to buy one. The developer is not ignoring the PC. As you can see, the game is coming to PC this year some time.

Neurotic says:

The first one was one of my favourite games of last year, and easily somewhere in my Top 20 All-Time Greats. Yeah, it was disappointingly short, although I wonder if it only felt short because what was there was so damn good?

5. racccoon says:

I don’t get it..A console I bought for zelda hasn’t produced anything that match’s what tech is inside it.
    My mind baffles at yet another stupidity, a only reason I bought it. I also feel kind of disappointed that the only game that’s great on it, is zelda, yet again I lost out cash wise, nothing has come out that shows any of its power. The switch & zelda was the most expensive thing for me to buy for one game, it stands alongside the years ago expense buying a ps3 for red dead redemption, Now I got two useless consoles that hold only one game in each.

Long rise the multi platform releases!!

The PC is the only superior game platform!

The wasted money consoles..I just have to stare at the useless things & await their bin time.

Comment on this story