Clickuorice Allsorts: Shenzhen Solitaire on MS-DOS

Shenzhen Solitaire

When I saw that Shenzhen Solitaire – the solitaire minigame spun off from Shenzhen I/O – was out for MS-DOS on floppy disks I’ll admit I nearly consigned it to the novelty promo pile along with emails about cassette mix tapes or my friend whose response to new music is always “Yes, but can I listen to it on my Discman?”. HOWEVER! It gets more interesting because developers Zachtronics have written up the project as a blog post. I didn’t follow all the technicalities, but it was super interesting to know more about the choices the pair made, and the quirks of the systems involved under the hood. I find optimisation techniques fascinating so dirty rectangles discussion was a lovely accompaniment to my cup of tea!

The DOS release is available through a Kickstarter running until September 11th.

1. someoneelse84 says:

Ha, best use of screaming joystick lady yet.

2. dystome says:

The thing is, the answer is always going to be yes, isn’t it? There are plenty of sites that will rip from web videos to mp3, and then external CD writers are about twenty quid. So yes, you can.

If you happen to think of it, please tell this person that someone on the Internet they will never meet thinks their joke is stupid.

3. mugsgame says:

Coincidentally I was only flicking through the text they mention, Michael Abrash’s Black Book this morning – despite having zero programming ability, I find it a really enjoyable read!

4. davebo says:

That is the stock photo that just keeps on giving.

5. Carra says:

Never played Solitaire with a Joystick before.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Then you’ve never played solitaire, friend.

• fish99 says:

Apparently it’s a rage inducing experience, presumably due to the game not actually having joystick support.

• TheSplund says:

Never played Solitaire with a Joystick before? Euphemism alert!!!

syllopsium says:

They really didn’t make things easy for themselves, could have used modern (ish) compilers and libraries instead of 25 year old software, and still had it perform well on a 386SX. if you’re targeting a 386 as a minimum spec, go straight to a 32 bit DOS extender and don’t bother with segmented memory.

Still, kudos for making it work! It’d likely run just as well on a fast 286.

7. TheSplund says:

Yay, she’s back! I saw another article somewhere recently with a bloke doing similar – a perfect match I thought.