Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds gets foggy next week

A new foggy map variant will descend upon Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds [official site] in next week’s update, developers Bluehole Studio have announced, along a new rifle. I’m still excited when a Plunkbat round launches and I discover it’s on the dusk or rainy variant, the latter for how it changes the importance of sound and the former for looking just so darn pretty. Gloomy fog shrouding distance areas sounds great. As for the early access FPS’s new gun, it’ll be the Ruger Mini-14 – the rifle that B.A. Baracus and the gang carried in The A-Team.

The next update will arrive some time next week, Bluehole tweeted. Patches are less frequent now, remember. “Some of the key features of the new build include a new weapon, foggy weather condition, FPP leaderboards and multiple bug fixes,” they continued. They added that the Mini-14 “will be available all over the island of Erangel” (yes, that’s the name of the current map), so that’s a regular weapon rather than another crate drop.

The regular real-world Mini-14 uses 5.56mm ammo and often comes with a 20-round magazine, which is what this looks like. Another 5.56mm rifle would be a curious addition as Plunkbat already has plenty but not that much 5.56 ammo (relative to AKMs and 7.62 ammo, at least), enough that my Plunkpals and I are often short of 5.56, so I’d hope drop rates would be tweaked as this goes in.

I’m just glad it’s not another mega-fancy rare gun that’ll burst your head from a mile away. My favourite parts of Plunkbat are close-range fights with scrappy weapons, UMPs and shotguns and Vectors that are made good enough with attachments. Like in Kane & Lynch 2, it’s a little boring when fancy guns get involved. Okay, my most recent win was powered by a stacked and silenced SKS, but I’d rather it’d been the Vector I had ditched for that gun.

My dream Plunkbat mod will remove the fancy guns. It will be named Crapbat.

In the meantime, a foggy map variant sounds nice. I do like how the endless downpour of the rain variant creates cover for noisy shenanigans, and I’m keen to find out quite how thick the fog is. It’s fine if it’s just pretty but being game-changing could be magic.

Other Plunkbat features still somewhere over the horizon are climbing and vaulting, changes to stop AFK farmers, and new maps. Climbing and vaulting are what I most want as they will hugely reshape how many Plunkbat fights go. And oh god, please let Battlegrounds bicycles be real.

The makers of chief Battle Royale rival H1Z1: King of the Kill are currently focused on differentiating it from Plunkbat by leaning harder on speed and action.

Drib says:

I mostly hope that the fog will be thick enough to stop people sniping me all the time.

I’m too old and myopic to be a sniper. Everyone should be brought down to my level, I say.

2. caerphoto says:

It’d be cool if the fog affected sound like real fog does, too. Even better if it’s patchy rather than a uniform grey goop.

Godwhacker says:

If they want extra-realistic fog they could make it so that if you don’t move around enough you’ll get cold and wet and start shaking from hypothermia

• TR`Ben says:

Oh, oh, oh…any you would need to find warm clothes if you want to warm up! Or you could make a fireplace! And you would be able to cook some food so you won’t die of hunger! And the best thing is that when you die the round don’t stop and you just respawn at the beach! Oh, what a great game would it be!

• BlazeL says:

And you definitely need zombies in there.

• Catterbatter says:

Needs hippo riding.

• Artyparis says:

Wait. And if you see zombies, it means players are around;
            And what about server hopping ?

Could be a great mo… game.

• dontnormally says:

It’d be a trivial thing to implement (non-trivial to get just right) and definitely add to the immersion and gameplay of foggy manshooting.

3. dontnormally says:

Do microtransations lead to better-performing weapons in this? Is everyone on an even keel?

• fish99 says:

Microtransactions are purely for cosmetics.

• Ham Solo says:

“cosmetics” kinda matter in an open world, everyone against everyone shooter. Camo padded jacket is objectively better than red shirt. It affects the gameplay.

Mikemcn says:

You can only pay for jackets and stuff. Some of the cosmetic items are camouflaged, but I haven’t ever felt like they help anyone too much, and by reselling crated items you get ingame, you can usually save up for a basic set of your own-camo items without adding any extra money into the game.

• tres says:

Weapons no.
      You can get better camouflaging clothes though. Its not “just cosmetics”, 90% of this game is about spotting the enemy first.

4. CMaster says:

I’m sorry, the place’s name is “Murder Island” and no amount of silly made up “lore” by the devs can change that in my heart.

5. DigitalSignalX says:

The AFK issue is crippling the game at the moment. A first circle can see over 50+ deaths, leaving the rest of the match just empty and droll till the final 10 minutes.

• VaporStrike says:

That’s not an AFK issue, that’s just a result of the few clustered drop areas such as Military and School ending with a single team victorious. I’ve followed the AFKs a bunch to see what happens, and even on rounds with only 1 or 2 AFK players, there’s still less than 50 players left by the time the first circle even starts moving. If you want more players at the end of the game, you’ll have to find a way to stop 50% of the people from landing at 3 locations.

• dexy says:

Multiple plane drops?

At the moment only part of the map is used in any one game.
        If you have a few planes coming in from different directions then you should have less kills at the start and more later as the players converge.

• Doomlord says:

I’ve rarely seen any problems with it, in my matches. Leaves me to wonder if it’s not just being over-played by people who do see it very rarely happen.

6. racccoon says:

I think it needs snow not fog.

7. DEspresso says:

Great now I imagine an AFK-Farmer in a straw hat singing deep voiced lullabies while tucking players in their blankets. Gotta farm those sweet AFKs.

8. tres says:

Do you still get banned for killing a twitch streamer?

9. Doomlord says:

Sadly they’re (writers at RPS) still using the lame Plunkbat nickname. Be more clever. Thanks!

kfix says:

And someone naming themselves “Doomlord” is still complaining about someone else not taking their game seriously enough.

10. Harmless Sponge says:

Following tracks around the place? Could be fun. Could be broken as hell and make people camp more (or setup cool ambushes). Or, they will just hide in the bath and shoot me in the face like always…