What are we all playing this weekend?

Oh good grief, it’s Saturday? After the #topbants and travel of the RPS summit down in Brighton (do read all the great guest posts from our out-of-office reply), I had thought today was… Tuesday? Thursday? Not the weekend. But it is! This meant I entirely forgot to ask everyone their weekend playplans.

What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on. Er. Some of us.

Adam: [Sorry.]
Alec: [So sorry.]
Alice: After several days of long chats with Adam (and the others, but this is mostly thanks to Adam), I’ve been reminded of many games to play. Half of these conversations went on until 3am so I’m a little hazy but… good games. Some real good games. The one really drilled into me is that I’m a fool for leaving What Remains of Edith Finch laying around unplayed.
Brendan: [Really quite sorry.]
Graham: [Very sorry.]
John: I plan to play a bunch of a neat little Metroidvania that’s not out yet, but super-smart and clever. And that’s about it. Because the reality is I almost never have time for games at the weekend any more, which is the WORST. Bear with me for about another 12 years, when I figure the boy will be nearly 15, spending Saturdays out drinking cider from a two litre plastic bottle outside the Tesco Express, and I’ll finally have time to myself again.
Philippa: This weekend I will be playing Fresh Hits ’96 with the top down and the sound up. I will also visit the fashion museum. If there’s time I will try to fit in a spot of mimicking some episodes of Holby City.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

Herring says:

Either continuing my second or 12th Ironman Classic game of XCOM 2 WotC, depending on whether you count the ~10 failed Gatecrasher attempts.

The other failure was due to a stupid mistake where a Faceless swipe detonated a car and killed most of my team :\

• geldonyetich says:

Same here, except second Ironman game of Veteran difficulty.

Quit 3/4th way through my first game of non-Ironman because of how insubstantial the game feels when I was able to undo anything bad that happens via reloading.

First Ironman game was lost, fair and square, due to the Assassin tracking me down. Second game, I knew what to expect and came better armed. Only one wounded soldier that time.

2. Herzog says:

More team deathmatch in Quake Champions. Maybe will also start to get into duel a bit more. Netcode is still broken, but hell, Quake is back!

Finished Shadow Tactics yesterday evening (its great!). Installed System Shock Enhanced Edition and had a quick look. The UI seems to be terribly dated and I had to read up some steam guides for the controls. Will see if I stick with it. It is really dated, but I didnt finish it back when it came out and I want to get into SS2 afterwards.

• floogles says:

I didn’t finish SS1 but still intend to. SS2 blew me away regardless and has made me want to go back and finish the first part even more.

Ninja Dodo says:

Mass Effect Andromeda still.

I can’t believe they called the place where all the aliens speak with Australian accents *Estraaja*.

Straya mate!

• Solgarmr says:

Is it any fun? made the mistake of buying it but haven’t put in any time to play it, mostly just sticking to Total war Warhammer and now some Xcom2

• joer says:

Nope, it’s awful.

• ByrdWhyrm says:

It’s entirely decent. Not nearly as good as 1-3, but it has fun combat and the story is okay, if a little predictable.

• malkav11 says:

In some ways, it’s the best of the series to date. Not perfect, by any means, but certainly worth digging out if you already own it. Main thing: only bother with the Task category of quests if you’re interested in the premise of the quest or you just really want to spend more time with the game. They’re not nearly as interesting as the others, and trying to do all of them drew the game out to the point where I was seriously losing momentum. Then I got back to proper sidequests and main story quests and I was having a good time again.

• welverin says:

There is definitely fun to be had, so if you already own it, give it a try.

Ninja Dodo says:

Meant to reply to this post but yeah, see my response below. In summary: Yes, it is fun, but not without some problems.

Carra says:

It’s decent but flawed.

Your companions are now completely useless in battle. Gone are the days of tactical combat.

Ninja Dodo says:

I am mostly enjoying it. It has problems though. There are some serious technical and polish issues which they seriously need to patch (and apparently aren’t going to) but there’s a good Mass Effect game in there. It combines some of the best things about ME1 (exploration) and ME3 (combat, squad interaction & banter, cool ship and hubs to run around in) and even improves on some things (Nomad > Mako). But then, there’s also some grind and filler quests (though optional), some of the characters are not as developed or even just bad (Addison “my face is tired” is rightly infamous) and sometimes it just breaks. (eg some missions do not allow saving and lack checkpoints)

I wrote some lengthy opinions in past weeks:

link to rockpapershotgun.com
      link to rockpapershotgun.com

I would say if you’re a fan of the series (especially if you’ve already bought it) it’s worth playing for sure, but be prepared for some uneven quality.

AutonomyLost says:

Hah, that’s great. I haven’t reached that point in the story quite yet. I actually just re-installed Andromeda last weekend, which I didn’t recall until I saw your post. I may have to boot it up and see where I’m at.

4. Captain Narol says:

I’ve just discovered yesterday the guilty pleasure of idle games with “Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms” :

link to store.steampowered.com

Apart of that, my usual daily quests routine (Eternal, Magic Duels, Hearthstone) and probably some Football Manager 2017.

5. Darth Gangrel says:

It’s Culture Night in Uppsala, Sweden – a whole day/night festival around the vaguely defined subject “culture”, so will probably be out and watch that.

Completed DmC: Devil May Cry yesterday, so now it’s back to Hunted: the Demon’s Forge with its far less fun and complex melee combat, though great other things.

Also, playing as Daud in Dishonored whenever I get tired that the movement options are so limited in Hunted (can’t jump or jump off things).

Lars Westergren says:

Ohh, a neighbour. I was supposed to go to the Quezzle escape room in Uppsala right now with friends, but I’m home with a bad cold. :(

AutonomyLost says:

I’d love to visit Sweden at least once in my life. I’m stuck here in the States this weekend. Have fun with all the culture!

6. FizicsMcmanus says:

Got instantly hooked on the early access Divinity: Original Sin 2 and somehow managed to put 12 hours in it already.

Horizon:Zero Dawn had just pulled me back in, I just approached the game with a “I’m playing a hunter class, nothing else” and it really worked for me. It didn’t hurt that the story really picked up either.

But Divinity? Instantly hooked, it feels like they fixed things that turned me off ultimately to the first one but I don’t really know what. Game just flows better? I guess we will see fully come the 14th, tempted to make an Undead Arkahn the Black build.

• Hoot says:

This is an interesting comment, because I bounced hard off the first one. It just felt too…schlocky. I dunno. And that there was too much fiddling about in the interface.

How has the second one improved things for you?

• Zenicetus says:

“Schlocky” is a good description of some of the writing in the first one. It was an odd mix of goofy at times, and serious at other times. I played it solo and didn’t get out of the first starting area before shelving the game.

BUT THEN! My wife and I were looking for a co-op game, and I remembered Divinity OS supported that. So I bought a second copy and we had an absolute blast playing through the entire game together. The writing was still a little too much on the goofy side at times, and the plot is forgettable. But the combat mechanics are a refreshing change from the usual D&D combat. It’s a solid game if you can ignore some of the attempts at humor that land flat.

It sounds like the new one has fixed some of the rough edges of the first one. I’ll pick it up as soon as it’s out, and we’ll probably do another co-op run.

AutonomyLost says:

I’m interested in D:OS 2 but I was going to wait until its final release before trying it out. Didn’t get too far in the first one, however I chalk most of that up to knowing the sequel was incoming. I started with the original late in its life, so I figured I’d wait to dive in until the sequel came along.

And regarding Horizon — I am probably 75-80% done with the main campaign but but it’s been months since I’ve played it because I just hit a wall. Need to finish it! What a great game.

• joer says:

Yes, details please! I bounced off the first one too. What’s different/better?

• FizicsMcmanus says:

Quoted from an SA thread: A lot of minor differences, but most of the major differences regard the personality and conversation systems. In the first game, personality was gamified through the use of sliding meters that were affected by various in-game actions, which gave your character certain buffs/attributes. It was a neat system, but it was also one of the biggest flaws of D:OS, because certain buffs were better than others, which led to the min/maxing of personality traits, anathema to the kind of “let your own personality come through in-game” motive that Larian seemed to be pushing for. In D:OS2, this system has been completely scrapped. Player characters now have “tags”, encompassing everything from race, gender, actual personality traits, moral alignments, addictions, predilictions, to story-driven tags. These tags enable extra responses during dialogue, as well as having other effects. It’s sort of like Mass Effect, how being full paragon/renegade unlocked paragon/renegade conversation options, except instead of only two alignments, there’s like 100 of them. The rock-paper-scissors system of negotiation has also been scrapped in favor of simple stat checks on persuasion.

The combat is just as rewarding as ever, and in fact a lot of QOL tweaks make it a much more streamlined experience. It’s definitely more evolutionary than revolutionary, but if you found the first game as fun as I did, you’ll probably want to pick up this one too.

7. dozurdogbite says:

L4D2, as usual

The Almighty Moo says:

When I’m back on Sunday it shall be more Bayonetta 2. I picked up Virmintide in the humble bundle but it crashed on launch…

particlese says:

Hmm, haven’t installed it yet, but a friend and I also picked up Vermintide on account of it looking like a barrel of fun, meaty, co-opey combat. My impression after watching PC Gamer’s gameplay video is essentially “l4d without zombies”, which can only be good.

Lars Westergren says:

Yesterday evening I finally finished my second playthrough of Pillars of Eternity. This time with White March 1 & 2 and Path of the Damned difficulty. Really really good game. I also stumbled into this thread on SomethingAwful which opened my eyes to how many interesting unconventional builds there are.
    link to forums.somethingawful.com

This and next weekend most of my time will be spent on writing a presentation. I probably have more than enough material already, but you know, that voice that keeps saying “But what if you have run through it all in 1/3rd of the time?”.

So, if I have some time to play, I don’t know. Maybe it is time to finally tackle Tyranny, or finish Torment: Numenera. Though XCOM:Chosen feels very tempting too.

particlese says:

Sorry.

I’ll be playing some or all of Lawbreakers, Devil Daggers, Dead Cells, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Skyrim Dragonborn; ogling hurricane Irma data while trying not to worry about friends in its path; dodging dodgy weather reports; and being glad that newspeople like Alan Sealls still exist.

AutonomyLost says:

You’re one of the few people I see on RPS who has mentioned Lawbreakers multiple times, if I’m remembering correctly. Anyway, how’s it holding up? Each week I’m interested in trying it but each week I still have a large backlog and for some reason I’m timid.

particlese says:

Yep! That’s me. Part of the reason I keep mentioning it is to give folks some indication of there being life and fun in the game despite the well-worn and legitimate complaint of low population. There’ve usually been about 150-300 online when I’ve played these last couple of weeks, and I still find it a heck of a lot of fun, so I keep playing – the other part of the reason I keep mentioning it. There are plenty of matches where my team gets trounced or where we completely destroy the other team, as well as matches in that whole balance space in between, but the well-balanced matches are super exciting and happen often enough to keep me interested. Chat’s pretty minimal but is generally civil without being gushing, and I’d guess that’s in part because the few left playing want more people to play against for more even matches and so on. Almost all the negativity is about the low pop or poorly-balances matches, unless a team was overtly inept at being a team or playing to the objectives. Almost no usage of voice chat. As far as queue times go, I think they’ve been tolerably low, but experiences and opinions will vary. With a few exceptions, I haven’t sat for more than 2 minutes in the quick match lobby or 2 minutes in the in-game warmup period (scoreless, objectiveless team deathmatch) while everyone connects or while the matchmaker changes its mind or something. I kinda wish warmup also served as the lobby so there’d be even more in-game time, but oh well. It’s a whole heck of a lot better than the 20-minute dungeon queues I’d sometimes put up with in ESO.

Anyway, that’s my impression of basic functionality folks might care about. A friend who’s always been more into competitive gaming than me recently stopped playing mostly because of the low population and the unbalanced matches that brings with it, plus its matchmaker’s reluctance to mix up teams, and some players’ supposed cheapness (assassins doing their job well, etc). I can understand the balance thing when other games you like work out consistently better and especially when you have family-limited game time, but for me, it’s okay, and I actually like having to adapt to and learn from better or cheaper players. Good assassins taught me to kick people in the face! But then, I’m traditionally not a competitive gamer, so I don’t really know better. :)

particlese says:

Heh, over-editing made that last sentence come out as a bit of a non sequitur…

In case walls of text aren’t your thing, just keep your eyes peeled for a free weekend (hopefully), and give it a couple play sessions for some of the movement mechanics to settle in. That’s where most of the fun is, in my opinion.

Mini text wall annex: Umm, so there are a ton of things I really like about the game, and which made it the perfect game for me right when I burnt out on ESO, but I think I’ve mentioned those at length in the past. In short: it’s a mostly-stupid (in a positive way), story-free UT-style FPS with shiny pixels, non-existent to off-putting marketing, and some low-gravity bits. Said low-gravity bits are basically swimming pools but with options for moving really fast, with practice. Character choice is important but not critical since you can change pants in the changing room to suit the team’s needs. Finally, there are leopard-print guns for extra stealthy combat if your shiny purple robes just aren’t doing the trick. All this makes me recommend giving Lawbreakers a shot when you can — except the marketing. Ignore what exists of that and of the company twitter feeds and have fun.

AutonomyLost says:

You provided an informative barrage of text! Thank you for reply. I hope the community can continue to, if not thrive, at least stay consistent and lively enough to make it to a Free Weekend chance.

I’m thinking I may have to check it out today or tomorrow. I’ll report back if and when I do.

particlese says:

Cool! Hope you have fun. I usually hop on around 9-10 pm CEST (3-4 pm EST) with a quick line in the LFG channel of the RPS Discord thing, if you’re inclined to group up, or if you have questions. (I guess questions should go in the games channel…) Alternatively, you may run into me under the same name in-game. *cue jokes about player count* Otherwise, enjoy, and thanks for giving the game (and my walls of text) a chance.

11. Jonfon says:

Xcom 2. The children-avatars are somehow still alive. The Chosen continue to ring me every 5 mins and rant like cheap Thundercats villians-of-the-week. It’s brilliant despite them.

Thulsa Hex says:

Whew, it’s been ages since I’ve poked my head in here–mostly coz I spent the past month moving from Minnesota to the Los Angeles area. So much stress! Now that things are settling down, I’ve been playing stuff again. Most recently, (like Darth Gangrel above!) Dishonored’s Daud-y DLC . I missed this DLC first time ’round, and must say I’m quite enjoying it. It has me looking forward to diving into Dishonored 2 at some point.

I’ve also been fortunate enough to be able to put together a decent home theater system in our new apartment today. It’s been a long time since I’ve played games with 5.1(+) surround sound, and I’m in love again. Nothing sucks me in like good directional audio. I’ve been itching to try something spooky, so it might be a good excuse to start Prey…

• napoleonic says:

Prey is properly scary for the first few hours, which makes your increasing power as you level up all the more satisfying.

AutonomyLost says:

I used to live in Minneapolis; I imagine the move from MN to CA is quite a change, especially if you grew up in MN? Good luck and hope you enjoy it out west.

Thulsa Hex says:

Thanks! It definitely is a huge change from the Twin Cities! Then again, MN was an even bigger change for me when I moved there four years ago from my original hometown of Cork, Ireland. I enjoyed my time in the Midwest, but I think west coast may suit me better :)

• malkav11 says:

Man, this was precisely the wrong time to move from MN to the west coast. It’s been <70F for weeks here whereas my understanding is that California's in the 90s-100s. :)

jssebastian says:

Very much depends where, here on the coast in the heat wave last weekend it got to 92, while usually cool san francisco was 106 and some places in bay area got to 119 (that’s an insane 48 celsius for people who prefer units of measurement that make some sense). My thermostat says 77 now so not suffering from the heat.

Thulsa Hex says:

There was a heat wave a week ago that hung around 40°C/104°F for a few days, which was pretty intense, but it’s been mostly ~30°C/85-90°F since I’ve been here. It’s been great because it’s also pretty dry. Minnesota at 90°F feels much, much worse because the humidity is usually very high there.

Plus: we have central A/C now!! I never appreciated the value of A/C until my first Minnesota summer. Won’t miss lugging out the window units tho’ they served us well!

jssebastian says:

I bought the Daud DLC for dishonored but didn’t play it much past the first mission. Not sure if it was me being out of practice with the game, but daud’s powers seemed much more boring than corvo’s (what’s the fun in sending a summoned assassin to play the game for you?), and expansion seemed to be more combat focused than base game (which I had really enjoyed)

Thulsa Hex says:

With the DLC, I like that they chose to voice Daud even as a player character. It helped with the weird detached feeling I get from the main game. Corvo’s voicelessness in the face of ever-monologuing NPCs was a big contributor to this, even though I’ve enjoyed many games with mute protagonists. I like a lot about Dishonored, but it has a coldness that keeps me from loving it.

You’re probably right about most of the powers, but I also like that they tweaked Daud’s version of Blink so that time stops while you’re aiming. It probably makes you a bit too powerful, but it encouraged me to pull off pretty daring sneak tactics, which was fun!

Also, I laughed pretty hard at the self-referential NPC chatter where one of the guards finally got his “own squad”!

• fish99 says:

You can play a stealthy pacifist Daud if you want. That’s what I did, even though it makes little story sense, so the DLCs really aren’t more combat focused.

Honestly both the DLCs are really good (if short) and have some excellent levels.

Thulsa Hex says:

I ended-up doing this too. I was actually sort of looking forward to jumping into the game as a murderer for once, but like the base campaign, all the most interesting routes hinge on stealth. And as you’ve mentioned, Daud does start to grow a conscience after seeing the effects of killing the empress.

• poliovaccine says:

Just off the cuff, the way I used that power was less as a frag grenade and more as a distraction, but I agree it can be a bit of a frag grenade, and that that’s no fun in a Dishonored game. But you dont have to just let it clear rooms for you.

zinzan says:

Played 4 turns of my 7 Combat mission games (managed to finish one game too – Yay, Lost – boo)

Going to try and get Piratez for extended X-Com etc (or whatever it’s called) setup on PC so I can see what all the fuss is about.

Spending a lot of time NOT looking at my Steam Wishlist (Too many unfinished games to spend money on new stuff.

• klops says:

XPiratez is really, really good. The biggest gripe is the clumsy UI and an unnecessary amount of stuff (that’s often a problem with mods), but apart from manufacturing menus and inventory management, I’ve really enjoyed it.

14. Chorltonwheelie says:

Neir Automata at £26 on Steam today….hmmmmm, why not? I’m in.

• wcq says:

Just a hint from a fellow android: don’t start on Hard.

The prologue doesn’t have any save points and several enemies can oneshot you on Hard, kicking you back to the start of the game. I gave up and knocked it down to Normal after losing my progress and being subjected to the unskippable intro three times.

Edit: also, the fan-made FAR patch improves the technical aspects a lot.

AutonomyLost says:

I began on Hard difficulty and died I think three times in the very opening/pilot sequence. I *almost* said fuck it but decided to try and persevere; I ended up loving the challenge and the ability of the enemies to two-shot you in the early and mid-game. It can be punishing off the bat but you’ll settle into it, and the difficulty is always tweakable in the menu I believe. Plus, the combat is just wonderfully fluid. Have fun with it!

• Chorltonwheelie says:

I generally start everything on Normal then run through again on Hard if I love it.
      I ended up doing Metro on Hardcore Ranger Mode in russian….love that game.
      Thanks for the tips mates. I’ll deffo be right on the FAR patch.

15. Shinard says:

Midway through Dishono(u)red 2, so I might go back to that, and Skyrim is still singing that siren call. But more than anything I’m very tempted by XCOM 2: WotC. I really shouldn’t, I haven’t got that much cash and I spend too much on games already. Plus my backlogs insane. Still… no, no. Wait for a sale. And money.

Oh, I noticed the Reinforcement Pack’s on sale over on Humble. Thinking about meeting halfway and buying that, that should be enough of an excuse for a couple more XCOM 2 campaigns. Anyone know if it’s worthwhile? I know Anarchy’s Children is purely cosmetic, but the other’s seem fun.

And there’s the Long War 2, but I can’t get that running for some reason. Very annoying.

16. Agnosticus says:

Some Rainbow Six: Siege since it left its nearly 2 year Early Access phase. Still, great game!

Steamworld Heist: Didn’t expect much going into it. Turned out to be a wonderful game to chill on the couch and play it with a controller!

Maybe some Mirage or Freaky Awesome, since I got those for free…

And some Rocket League, ofc!

17. KDR_11k says:

Probably some A Robot Named Fight which despite the name is actually a Metroid Roguelite.

And maybe I’ll look into Senko no Ronde 2 which despite the Steam icon is a 1 versus 1 shmup fighter.

18. Killy_V says:

17 hours into Xmorph Defense (easy mod cause I’m a scrub), it’s a brilliant game mixing action and tower defense. Unlike many tower defense, the path are not defined so it’s up to you to make the best path. Oh, did I say most terrain elements were destructible to blow things up and or alter the path ?

19. Mister eX says:

Continuing my season in F1 2016. Should really make some progress in Pillars of Eternity. First playthrough, got almost 60 hours in it, and I’m kind of… hate playing is a strong way to put it, but something like that. It’s not a bad game in any way, but my interest & investment in the story went a little downhill after about 30 or 40 hours. But dammit it’s still good enough to finish after I’ve put that many hours into it! :D I was exactly like this with Neverwinter Nights 2 too. Another Obsidian game, hmm…
    I started Tacoma a few days ago, but I was too tired after workdays to even play, so I’ll try to continue that too. Then there’s Life is Strange: Before the Storm. Loved LiS, so I’ll have to check it out.
    (Stuff that I may play, but less likely than the above: Shadow Warrior Special Edition, The Banner Saga 2, The Forest, What Remains of Edith Finch, XCOM: Enemy Within, The Legend of Heroes: TitS – I love this abbreviation :D – SC.)

20. brucethemoose says:

I PLANNED on finally sitting down and playing Hitman.

Instead, I’m playing “sit in standstill traffic while watching the storm of the century annihilate our house on the internet”.

• Ben King says:

Good luck Bruce, I hope you can get out of traffic soon and I’m wishing you and your home the best. Maybe skip the Internet for a couple hrs and find an arcade to play some games and take your mind off things…. if you squint pacman is sorta like hitman. They are both “mans” at least.

• brucethemoose says:

Thanks. I brought my desktop. Important things in life, right?

The only game I was playing then was “try to get gas buddy to work”. Gonna have time for some games now though.

• Faldrath says:

Oof. Good luck, hope it’s not as bad as it looks.

AutonomyLost says:

Ah, shit. Sorry you’re in the middle of all that’s going on down south. Be safe!

particlese says:

Hope the evac traffic picks up soon! Glad to hear you’re on your way, at least. More best wishes to you and your home and family.

Having been near the Florida coast in Brevard county during Matthew last year (a smaller storm, granted), my advice is to maybe try avoiding the newscasters and focus on NOAA forecasts and advisories. Saves a bit on the stress, if you’re of a certain mindset — those news people went so completely nuts last year, I’d be amazed if they’re still conscious at this point with Irma…

• brucethemoose says:

It’s even worse this year. I think the hyperactive newscasters were late, and scared alot of people into leaving who weren’t prepared to leave. If you don’t have a full tank when setting out, you’re getting stranded on the road somewhere (as I saw with people at trash piling up at gas stations).

AutonomyLost says:

I’ll be continuing my Ashes of Ariandel (and possibly, hopefully Ringed City) playhtrough in DSIII, as well as some Titanfall 2 and maybe dipping back into my Witcher 3 NG+.

• wcq says:

Good luck on the boss in Ariandel – it’s the toughest one in the whole game IMO.

AutonomyLost says:

I recently watched a playthrough of Sister Friede so I know what’s in store. I think I’m going to do every ounce of Ariandel and probably explore the rest of the game before I fight her ;)

I’m stoked for The Ringed City though. Think I’ll take the other way of getting there!

22. mpk says:

This weekend I shall be warring the Chosen. All the warring, all the Chosen, all the time.

23. Vacuity729 says:

I bought Renowned Explorers: International Society on the summer sale this year and decided to load it up after work on Wednesday. I’m having good fun so far playing on Classic difficulty, Discovery mode.
    Unfortunately, I find a few bits less than clear. Is the difference between Discovery mode and Adventure mode just that the latter is essentially an Ironman roguelike mode? It makes it sound like it’s actually harder, but doesn’t really explain in what way. I didn’t even notice that campfires existed until partway into my second attempt; something so important just… slipped by…
    Are the bonuses I select on treasures just for this game? Are they the same in later games? Are treasures in my collection useful for anything in a latter playthrough? If so, how?
    The game’s fun enough, but the lack of clarity is a little annoying.

• Shinard says:

Discovery and Adventure, yeah, I think that’s the only difference. I’ve never played much Discovery mode, but it didn’t seem easier than Adventure, just the Ironman thing.

Treasures, you get a new choice of bonus every playthough. The treasures in your collection don’t factor into new campaigns, they’re just there to show you how much you’ve discovered (and give you something to aim for). The only treasures that make a difference in a campaign are the ones you discover in that campaign.

And something I only discovered recently, despite playing RE:IS for ages – tools don’t activate automatically, there’s a little spanner icon in the corner of the dialogue box on a challenge (when you have percent outcomes of success) that you have to toggle on to use the tool. Each tool gives about a 20% boost, and if you fail you keep the tool (if you succeed you lose it). I deeply love Renowned Explorers, but man is it opaque at times.

• Vacuity729 says:

So, even with your info, faced with a challenge and knowing I had some tools… it still took me a few seconds of searching to find the little icon to click. That would definitely have sailed right by me without your info. If it carries on like this, I might start getting annoyed.

• Shinard says:

The tools icon is the worst of it, so I wouldn’t worry. And I beat Shangri-La before discovering it, so it’s hardly necessary. Still.

If it’s still too much, I’d try it without the DLC. It’s very much DLC made for people who’ve already played the game and want more – which I respect, and it’s what I did, but it does make it a sod if you start with it. Though at this point you’ve probably already got to grips with it, so… might not help. Worth a shot, though.

And on the offchance anyone else reads this, and feels like trying Renowned Explorers (I enjoyed it immensely, but it’s not necessarily for everyone), that’s my advice – start without the DLC, expect to lose at first and the tools icon is well hidden.

Iamblichos says:

I used Starbound as a gateway drug to get me back on Terraria. Starbound is fun, but none of the bits and bobs actually hang together; Terraria is the cocaine to SB’s weak coffee. That being said, when I wake up in an alleyway 30 lbs lighter and filthy, Re-Logic will be to blame.

25. Neurasthenic says:

I see no mention of The Suffering and the sequel in any goddamn website (IS ON GOG NOW AND YOU SHOULD BUY IT (eventually, kinda pricey atm)), that’s what I would play if my rig was fully assembled.

Since I’m on this less than ideal laptop, I dunno, can’t go wrong with classic Doom and some wads, maybe spend trading cards money on some random thing on steam, tackle some more challenges on Alto’s Adventures… I miss my rig. T_T

• malkav11 says:

The Suffering is such a creepy game. Love it.

• Neurasthenic says:

You damn well should!

And WB should get me a job in marketing, since the re launch I’ve been pestering every site to cover it (and get fired immediately since no one is covering it u.u)

26. MushyWaffle says:

Well, all I can think about is Divinity 2 but have to wait 5 more days… so since Steam had Surge 50% off, I’ll be givin that game a crack. Something to keep my mind off wanting D2 so bad.

27. fish99 says:

I’m still going through the first Destiny with my warlock, now level 38, half way through the Taken King. I can see that before the DLCs came along, the base game wouldn’t have had enough content at launch, but playing it now in one package, it is soooo good, IMO anyway. Really glad I picked it up.

Need to finish my 8th or 9th reading of LotR first though. Currently half way through the battle of Minas Tirith. I know I should read something else…

28. malkav11 says:

I am playing “gradually return my fresh Windows install to a livable state and recover as much data as I can from the dying drive the previous install was on”. It’s not fun or desirable, but at least my computer’s working again. Maybe I’ll get to run some actual games later.

Oh, and this install is on a Samsung 960 Evo NVME SSD, so it’s like a billion times faster and more responsive and I have all my big data stuff on a new Western Digital Black 6 TB drive. So, y’know, at least it’s an upgrade!

AutonomyLost says:

+1 for Samsung SSDs.

• malkav11 says:

My only complaint is that M.2 screws are freaking tiny and incredibly annoying to work with when you have large fingers like I do. Especially when installing on a computer that’s already fully set up. :/

Well, that and the drive didn’t come w/ said screw. Fortunately my motherboard did.

pertusaria says:

I’ve been playing Mario Kart on Switch and occasionally weighing in on my other half’s playthrough of West of Loathing, which is really good – I will eventually pick up my own copy.

A weekend or two ago I played Epistory until I got stuck on a wind puzzle and realised I probably wasn’t enjoying it that much, and played a few levels of She Remembered Caterpillars, which was more interesting.

30. Mouse_of_Dunwall says:

I’m replaying Dishonored 2 as Low-Chaos Emily until Death of the Outsider is released next Friday. It’s great.

The custom difficulty settings are really cool.

• michelangelo says:

If one desire, Dishonored 2 can even get pretty close to old good Thiefs mastery. I played through with no magic Emily and no UI. What a blast!

A story is OK, gameplay, level design, and visual part are pure gold. What’s quite a few steps behind Thiefs is the way sounds spreads. Very inaccurately. And the void as a whole part of series feels not very well thought, designed, executed and as a something far behind the rest. That’s what makes me not so interested in DLC since we hunt person who calls the void a home. Despite the fact, that hunting god like character sounds just great.

31. parsley says:

Life is Strange: Before the Storm! I’ve been looking forward to it all week.

32. Gomer_Pyle says:

I guess Alice is an honorary Canadian now.

As for what I am playing, Caveblazers, which I picked up in the Humble Jumbo Bundle, is quite fun and I am going to be giving Absolver a try now that a new fix has been released. (I tried an online match last night, and everything was running smoothly.) Besides that, I’ll be playing War Thunder as usual.

33. FractalChaos says:

I’ve gorged as much as I can on Foxhole’s brilliance, having played roughly 360 hours in the past five weeks. Now, just for giggles, I have given myself an impossible task; finish every single game in my Steam library that I’ve yet to finish. That’s 230+ games by my count. In progress; Middle Earth: Shadows of Mordor. After that I’ll probably tackle X-Com Enemy Within and/or Salt & Sanctuary.

After that…well I don’t want to think of anything after that…

Grizzly says:

Mostly the newly released expansion to Battlefield 1: In the Name of the Tsar. I was surprised by the choice of maps on this one, as I expected a lot of maps near the carpathian mountains. But whilst Tsar details the Brusilov Offensive against the Austro-Hungarian empire in 1916, it also dives into the Russian Civil War of 1919, which was something I wasn’t expecting.

It’s an interesting and cool choice, although the maps and designs are perhaps a bit too stereotypically Russian (every map takes place in winter, the music is often bombastic choirs), there’s a lot of interesting things in there too, such as the sawn-off Mosin-Nagant rifle that functions as a pistol.

A good, solid map 6-pack, and with the French expansion getting 2 extra maps on top of the already existing 4, there’s now 22 maps in Battlefield. That being said, I don’t think this map pack is as interesting as the French expansion, in no small part because the French WW1 army is the most interesting of the lot.

jssebastian says:

Finished my XCOM 2 campaign, which was great fun, and wondering when I will buy WOTC: i think a short break from the game is in order.

In the mean time I’m trying darkest dungeon, which I bought a good while back when they added the radiant mode. Not 100% sure how much I like it, great atmosphere, very polished, great variety of enemies so far, but still the basic gameplay feels quite repetitive and grindy.

I like that I had to turn back from a boss as I had the wrong party to beat it (the sonorous prophet) and have to plan a party to target that specific boss based on what I learned facing it the first time, but in practice after a little bit of thinking through what I need that means grinding several easy dungeons until I have the right squad leveled up and low on stress to get back in there.

36. welverin says:

I finally finished Breath of the Wild, so it’s time to focus on Destiny 2 for a bit. Though I’m thinking of going back to Twilight Princess since I feel like more Zelda.

As usual, there are daillies and weeklies in Mass Effect Andromeda and Street Fighter 5.

37. Seyda Neen says:

Finished Mass Effect: Andromeda (Finally. Despite some good elements, I say good riddance to this game) and Life is Strange: Before the Storm. Now I’m starting a third playthrough of The Witcher 3, I think, and doing the DLCs for the first time.

38. michelangelo says:

After months of playing nothing (except short occasional atmospheric Assassins Creed Unity walking sim strolls over the streets of Paris at the time of revolution and Mad Max desert rides enjoying visual heaven of explosions and storms), I am not going to break my habit of being late to the party of entertainment pieces.

And Abyss Odyssey it is! Journey deeper into abyssal dreaming of an old warlock is quite aesthetically unique and fun to dig deeper by playing. Charming and charmingly talking characters included. Coop not included since playing it on PS4 and I am not the one who pays for their online services monthly fees. But a game doesn’t really miss it IMO. Perhaps couch coop, but you know—no friends ))

• floogles says:

Abyss Odyssey I really enjoyed, I just couldn’t quite beat the final boss. There’s some really interesting unlocks, and the ability to play as any of the enemies is so goddamn fun. Reminds of that gem Paradroid.

39. and its man says:

I’m having a hard time trying to find a game that could get me hooked as much as Rain World did.
    I don’t know. I’ll try Vilmonic. Seems it has cool character design and there’s this lovely fragile abstract melody that can be heard in its trailer. Definitely looks like a game I could spend hours on.
    Maybe I’ll get Vangers from Steam. It’s a top-down race/adventure game from 1998. I’m intrigued by its stop-motion sequences which look like animated clay/sand bas-reliefs.
    Or go grab the recently released LocalHost from itch.io.
    And I think I may give Morph Girl a shot, for a few hours of FMV ricketiness.

40. floogles says:

Just wishing that Arcanum was finally over. I wish the RPGs of this era either had tighter stories or less combat, I always burn out about 3/4 of the way through.

41. FelipeCC says:

Rainbow Six Siege. Probably more than is healthy for me. Oh god.
    Just won the match in which I had my best performance ever. Jeez that was fun. I wish I played something else. Finished reading Hokuto no Ken tho: Omae wa mou shindeiru.

42. DYSTOP says:

If you like dystopian games you should check out the armament project, here is the trailer:
    link to youtube.com
    and here is the steam page:
    link to store.steampowered.com