Tracks – The Train Set Game challenges you to pick up tiny wooden commuters from your furniture

Tracks - The Train Set Game

I’ve been entranced by Tracks – The Train Set Game [official site] – a game about laying a wooden toy train track – since Brendy first brought it to my attention.

Back then it was pretty bare-bones, reminding me of my first Brio set before we got some of the fancier bits like the bridge which would lift up and the level crossing so that our plastic dinosaurs could get past safely. Now there’s all manner of fanciness as the devs prepare for the 28 September Tracks early access release including a passenger mode which will have tiny wooden commuters!

“Build your own train sets at will, or enjoy the set game modes which boast a variety of objectives for you to complete. For instance, Tracks challenges you to design a rail system that accommodates passengers’ commuting needs. Or transport cargo and build the most efficient rail network to complete objectives in the fastest time possible.”

With the addition of passengers trying to get to specific stations the game put me in mind of Alan Hazelden’s Cosmic Express, but without the spatial limitations that puzzle game imposes. If you haven’t already, I’d say you should check that game out too. I reviewed Cosmic Express and slapped a “recommended” sticker all over it!

[Early access caveats go here. I would type them all out but YOU KNOW WHAT WE THINK.]

Also, I’m considering investing in Brio. Not for inside the house as that would probably get a bit cluttered but maybe coating the pieces in weatherproofing gloop and arranging a Pip Express around the garden to see if I could pick up frogs (hop-ons) or snails or whatnot and take them to their offices elsewhere in the garden.

1. unacom says:

Do you think this is playable for 5+ year-olds? If so I assume my sons will rate this as a “must buy”, along with Cosmic Express.

Philippa Warr says:

There’s an older version on Itch.io which is the one we’ve played – it’s still up and is a free download so you could give that a whirl and see how they fare: link to dr-whoop.itch.io

Harlander says:

This looks like a game that’d translate pretty well to room-scale VR.

4. FredSaberhagen says:

I’m finding it hard to keep track of all these new updates.

5. fish99 says:

Dunno if I’d get bored of this in an hour or two but it does look super cute.

6. Drib says:

I feel like this particular concept works better with the simple itch.io release, just playing with toys. Adding all these systems just complicates it and removes it from just… child-like playing.

• unacom says:

Removing…moving. Uhm. Is it possible to store and run different versions of a single game released in itch or steam or whatnot? Like driving different versions of oldtimers.
      I´m not trying to go against new versions per se, rather trying to see different ways of playing and enjoying this game.

phuzz says:

Most stuff I’ve downloaded from Itch doesn’t need to be installed, so you can just keep different versions in different directories.
        This will also work for a very few Steam games. The best way to find out is to search out the folder the game has installed itself in, and try just moving that folder somewhere else and seeing if it will still run.

7. xfstef says:

Instead of “The Train Set Game” they could just write “Digitised Autism”. That said, I might actually play it.

Comment on this story