SteamWorld Dig 2 PC release date confirmed

SteamWorld Dig 2 [official site], the follow-up to 2013’s fab sci-fi dig-o-metroidvania-a-roguelikelike, will launch for PC on September 22nd. When developers Image & Form said the PC version would follow the console debut “a few days after”, they were lying – that’s only one day later. Huzzah! You pretty little liars. This is the best form of lie.

The sequel will send us back to a wild west-y world of robots then down to dig, explore, nab upgrades, and duff up baddies.

Our John really dug the first game. As he said in his SteamWorld Dig review:

“It’s calming, pleasurable, cute and tricky. It’s Spelunky for people who don’t like restarting all the time. But it’s also its own distinct notion, with its focus on progression over difficulty. SteamWorld Dig is a really lovely, very fun time. What a great thing for a game to be.”

More of that sounds grand.

SteamWorld Dig 2 is coming to Windows, Mac, and Linux via Steam on September 22nd, priced at £14.99/$19.99/€19.99.

1. DrJ3RK says:

The first game really surprised me. I grabbed it on a whim on my 3DS while on vacation. I was glued to it every late-night (once all the vacationy stuff was done each day). Can’t wait to try this one.

2. Nero says:

I bought the first one 3DS and played it almost straight through. Later bought it also on PC and played it through again. I really enjoyed it and I’m so buying this one too.

3. Freud says:

I enjoyed Steamworld Dig and Steamworld Heist quite a bit. They are easy to play and get into but still have enough challenge and depth to last the 10-15 hours they last. Then they emptied their bag of tricks and don’t overstay their welcome.

• Kitsunin says:

They truly nailed the length. Heist in particular. I thought it would end 2/3 in, only to be overjoyed to find there was more left. That sort of “Yay, the game isn’t over yet!” isn’t something I’ve really gotten since some old PSX games (I think?) which did the “NG+” which is actually an entire second act, thing. Even though I’m sure this was a fairly common (and very exciting to my young self) practice, Jumping Flash is the only example that comes to mind…

Neurotic says:

Tons of atmosphere and character too. Love the Steamworld games, can’t wait to see what else comes of the setting.

5. Greendude123 says:

Fantastic! I loved playing the first one. And surprising; I wasn’t expecting the second coming out anytime soon.

6. racccoon says:

Its a less than 10’er game.

7. Thants says:

Well, I never played the first one but Steamworld Heist was lovely, so I’m in!

Phasma Felis says:

I was rather disappointed in the first one, probably because it was sold to me as a roguelikelike Metroidvania and it’s neither. The terrain is randomized and the paths you carve through it are permanent, and that is neat, but barring the handful of handmade side areas where you find major powerups, the progression is quite linear; you’re going down, down, down in a shaft a few screens wide. It’s not a bad game, just not what I was hoping for.

• syndrome says:

You should’ve bought it as Elite:Dangerous. I’d enjoy that comparison much more.

9. syndrome says:

The first one was a pleasant surprise and I am rarely hooked to anything as ‘casual’. For me this is how a proper ‘consumer,’ diegetic game should be made. Everything is simple, full of genuine, lovely characters and a polished, well-structured gameplay concept, yet it manages to touch a deeper philosophical context. It almost reminds me of the Kongregate Flash scene (if it could be as polished back in the day). I suspect Dig 2 will have a larger playerbase, mainly because of Heist, which is great.

10. AutonomyLost says:

More syllables in the genre description!

Never played the first game but thought it looked fun. Maybe I’ll give this one a go.

11. Kitsunin says:

Oh. Didn’t realize they were making a sequel. Yay!