Elite Dangerous welcoming Thargoids back on the 26th

After yonks of littering space with their garbage and buzzing spaceships while repeating “Is this bugging you? I’m not touching you. Is this bugging you?“, the alien Thargoids will start to arrive properly in Elite Dangerous [official site] this month. Frontier Developments have confirmed that the update bringing them back to the space sim series, version 2.4 aka The Return, will launch on Tuesday, September 26th. It’ll kick off a storyline unfolding over the months to come. For now, check out a Thargoid fight in this new cinematic trailer:

I feel a lot of sympathy for the big spacebugs, to be honest. They have such lovely ships which seem almost alive and physically wounded. The video’s description YouTube suggests that the Thargoids strike first and humanity scrambles to develop weapons and technology in response but aw, poor spacewhalebugs.

Frontier’s announcement last night explained:

“On launch day you’ll be interacting with the most mysterious and deadly things you’ve encountered in the Elite Dangerous galaxy – the Thargoids.

“Elite Dangerous 2.4 The Return will then continue to roll out with interactive narrative-based content emerging over the coming months.”

And if someone wished to befriend them? Not in a traitorous way, just, you know, be spacemates.

The spectacle of Thargoids is almost enough to get me into Elite. I suspect our resident spaceman Brendan will blast off to check them out; I’ll have to bug him for opinions.

1. Asurmen says:

Spoilers from the recently released Elite tie in book:

There’s two factions of Thargoids, the Oresrians and the Klaxians (a lore point brought back from the original Elite).

These two factions are in civil war, and one side is losing badly. They’re attempting to use the humans as a shield by getting us involved, and then moving past our space to safer areas and sacrificing the humans.

Given a decal that can be seen on this ship, it’s possible this is the faction we haven’t met yet in game.

It’s possible the fleeing faction has been deliberately antagonising humans to make us attack and slow down the stronger faction as we can’t tell the difference, or there is a difference and humans are knobs and don’t care.

2. Mogglewump says:

Totally on the side of the Thargoids. Why do humans have to shoot things as soon as they meet them? Apparently we’re no better 1286 years into the future.

• Beefenstein says:

“Totally on the side of the Thargoids.”

As I recall they’re social insects and the commanders of the ships have their fear glands removed so they can direct their vessels to wreak havoc on everything.

I respect the existence of the Thargoids but I’m not yet 100% behind them as ‘my friend’.

Mungrul says:

You’re the most zarjaz Alice :)

4. causticnl says:

go go thargoids! totally on the thargoid team here

5. svge says:

Cool alien noises.

6. Anti-Skub says:

3 years later and the Elite devs have finally got around to adding something that comes close to actual content. Although I fully suspect it to be nothing more than another grind with different ships to shoot at.

Give it another decade or two at this pace of development and it might be coming close to something that’s worth playing.

• tomimt says:

So tell me, what kind of content are you looking for?

• Darloth says:

I can’t speak for Anti-Skub, but if the Elite devs managed to even vaguely approach X3’s feature set of things to do, except with their own spin on it, with their current features, gorgeous graphics, and in-world feeling… then I’d be really excited.

It doesn’t need to be Star Citizen, but I want it to be more than Pointless Dogfight Simulator.

• AshkEl says:

The devs have said that after the current run of patches for all the thargoid stuff is in, their next thing is to go back and revisit a lot of the core stuff that was placeholdered a bit at the beginning, like exploration, trade, etc.

Given their average speed of development, 3 years might be a little pessimistic, it might just be 1 or 2, but then again maybe not.

7. AthanSpod says:

For anyone wanting a brief run-down of the official lore around the Thargoids, with respect to Elite: Dangerous (rather than the previous games, the lore from which is treated as a pick and mix for ED purposes):

link to forums.frontier.co.uk

A key thing there is that there are at least rumours that originally, 178 years earlier, it was humans that attacked first.

8. Spacewalk says:

I’m guessing that far in the future insects will have become our main source of protein. I look at the Thargoids and I just see a meal.

Comment on this story