The Foxer

Bramley End hasn’t been the same since Henrietta Howe, the world-famous amateur sleuth, moved into Hollyhocks. Everyone is on tenterhooks waiting for the first murder. ‘Henry’ was driven out of her last village, Cyrille Regis in Wiltshire, after the 11th slaying. Her previous neighbours, the long-suffering residents of Shithot St. Bernard, Somerset, put up with 37 before kicking her out.

This cryptic collage has a hidden theme.

*       *       *

SOLUTIONS

Last week’s “missing vowels” foxer – 25 Things That You Might Find In, On, or Attached to a Tent

1. KL = AKELA (Stugle)
2. GYR P = GUY ROPE (Arioch_RN)
3. PB LFNQ = PABLO FANQUE (Little_Crow)
4. S MKHL = SMOKE HOLE (Little_Crow)
5. DGRV NS = EDGAR EVANS (Little_Crow)
6. FSTVLGR = FESTIVALGOER (Little_Crow)
7. MLGD RYC = MEL GIEDROYC (Kerans)
8. WNNG = AWNING (Kerans)
9. MLDW = MILDEW (Little_Crow)
10. CLNLGD DF = COLONEL GADAFFI (Stugle)
11. CR QDS LL = CIRQUE DU SOLEIL (Stugle)
12. PRZMR RW = PRIZE MARROW (Little_Crow)
13. RFG = REFUGEE (Little_Crow)
14. HN RYV = HENRY V, HENRY VI, HENRY VII or HENRY VIII (Arioch_RN, Stugle)
15. CLW NCR = CLOWN CAR (Kerans, Little_Crow)
16. 2 = O2 or U2 (Little_Crow)
17. RYM RS = RAY MEARS (Little_Crow)
18. FNL = FINIAL (Kerans)
19. HTLPSH L HN = HOT LIPS HOULIHAN (Arioch_RN, Little_Crow)
20. BF FLHD = BUFFALO HIDE (Arioch_RN)
21. SLPNGBG = SLEEPINGBAG (Little_Crow)
22. SC = SOCO (Arioch_RN)
23. CRBS KN = CARIBOU SKIN (Arioch_RN)
24. RBM = AIRBEAM (Stugle)
25. TR CYMN = TRACY EMIN (Arioch_RN)

1. Gothnak says:

Back after a long holiday with no internet at all..

Is the implement at the bottom an ADZE?

2. Gothnak says:

Board game tiles are from MAORI.

Grizzly says:

I have to say that the top left reminds me of Wondermark so much.

4. Gothnak says:

Also woman in the middle looks a bit like Ada Lovelace and the geary thing below her looks a bit like a difference engine, but i think both aren’t that.

5. Stugle says:

Some kind of Dassault Mirage in the background, I reckon.

6. AFKAMC says:

I suspect the jet is an IAI Nesher/Dagger in Argentinian markings.

Nesher means “vulture”, and the nickname “Finger” was also attached to the type.

• Stugle says:

I was thinking Mirage 5PA, but I can’t honestly tell them apart.

• Stugle says:

And I see that’s because they are essentially the same plane… This is why I should leave planes to the professionals. :) The nicknames of your plane are more likely to be relevant than the bland ‘5PA’, so I guess you have it.

• AFKAMC says:

The prominent roundel on the rear fuselage makes me things it’s Argentinian, plus it appears to wear a serial beginning with “C”, which makes me think it might be one of the images here:

link to hataka-hobby.com

• Stugle says:

I assumed the roundel was for the French air force, but the only examples of French Mirages I can find have the roundel much closer to the front (near the air intakes), so you are correct with your Argentine provenance.

7. Gothnak says:

Obviously there is a patch of camouflage, it looks a bit like Flecktarn style, but the blobs are a bit too regular.

8. AbyssUK says:

Top brown USA 32 stamp is of charlie chaplins little tramp

9. Gothnak says:

Top Left looks very Dickensian, like Mr Micawber or Scrooge or someone.

10. mrpier says:

EDIT: https://static.seattletimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/341c3772-fb46-11e5-8b45-86e4300cc57e-1020×1538.jpg

Arm belongs to Chief Seattle
    link to en.wikipedia.org

11. richtysoe says:

The gears looks like the cam geartrain from a radial aero-engine (with the studs around the edge being where the cylinders were bolted on) but I couldn’t say which. a bristol centaurus or something like that.

edit – bristol Hercules: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e8/63/14/e8631400df2e65d7f05156223e00bac4–radial-engine-aircraft-engine.jpg

12. AbyssUK says:

Lady in the middle is Lady Randolph Churchill,

“an American-born British socialite, the wife of Lord Randolph Churchill and the mother of British Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill.”

13. Kerans says:

The bottom-most picture looks like an oil rig – and I was sure for a while that top right in the circle was a diagram of a knot (I think a square knot)… But now I’m (k)not so sure about that.

• mrpier says:

My comment is in a moderation queue so I’ll just repeat it here:
      The strange black and white photograph with an arm looks to be from the building of the Space Needle in Seattle. Arm belongs to Chief Seattle.

• Kerans says:

That’s interesting. Possibly a coincidence but there’s mention of some kind of needle roller bearing on the site richtysoe linked.

• phlebas says:

Is a square knot the same as a reef knot? I don’t think it’s one of those as it isn’t symmetrical – looks more like a sheet bend if it is a knot.

14. Gothnak says:

I keep getting the Boer Wars popping up in various ways…

Don’t know if it has something to do with Sarah Wilson (nee Churchill) who was a war correspondent on the second one or Governor Hercules Robinson who was involved in the first or Koos de la Rey who had the name Herculaas?

15. Gothnak says:

Ok, how about red heads?

Mr Jabez Wilson was required for his red head (Loved that story)
    Winston Churchill was a red-head… (Yeah, really)?
    Red Headed Vulture
    Apparently early Maoris had red hair
    Hercules in the Disney film had red hair

Err, that’s it…

Oh, there is a film called ‘those red heads from Seattle’

16. Stugle says:

I wonder if the composition of the image is relevant, specifically that the Dagger (plane) sliced through the photo of the trains in the background?

17. Gothnak says:

How about Tattoos?

Otzi has tattoos.
    Maoris have lots of tattoos.
    Tattoo Needle
    Mr Jabez Wilson has a Tattoo
    TRAMP STAMP is a Tattoo… oh god, it’s right!

Lady Randolph has a tattoo. (How outrageous!)

Comment on this story