What are we all playing this weekend?

Bad news, gang: this is the last weekend of summer. Good news, everyone: autumn is almost here! Dig in your wardrobe for your scarves, dust off your wooly hats, and remember that there’s still time to rush out and strip off to soak up the dregs of the sunshine.

What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on.

Adam: Divinity: Original Sin 2 until somebody makes me stop. Nobody can make me stop.
Alec: I’m playing Dishonored 2: Death of the Outsider and I’m going to put a few more hours into Destiny 2 to try and work out if I like it or not, and I’ve got an XCOM War Of The Chosen campaign to finish, and Metroid II for 3DS just turned up and – can we go back to when no games were being released, please?
Alice: While everyone else appears to be playing some flavour of D2 this weekend, I’m swinging that Plunkbat again. I’m still discovering new buildings and bits added in this week’s update and getting the hang of the foggy weather but it all seems great so far. My Plunkpals and I are dropping into busy cities a lot more these days and I’m really enjoying starts which are intense but not just nonsense like School and Hospital drops. A good video game.
Brendan: I’m gritting my teeth through the terrible dialogue and writing of Destiny 2 (sorry PC) because I want so badly to like it so I can play with my friends but oh god the bad guy just said “we are not so different, you and I” and then a goodie paused dramatically and said “be careful” it’s sooooo baaaad hellllp meeeeee
Graham: This weekend I shall be playing Destiny 2. On PC? Maybe! Sort of. I might try that PlayStation 4-to-PC streaming thing, if I can get it working on my shoddy and unreliable home network, so that I can play at my desk. Otherwise I will just have to brave the sofa for the experience of stabbing and punching lots of loremen or whatever it is you fight in Destiny 2.
John: [John has been fired -ed.]
Philippa: This weekend I will be playing the recorder. I should also visit the pub down the road. If there’s time I could try to fit in a spot of trick or treating some witches.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. Spacewalk says:

I was going to spend the weekend playing A Life M36 Planet: MotherBrain Has Been Aliving (yes, that is the title in full) since there’s now a translation available but the enemy spawn rates were a tad too brutal for me to enjoy it so instead I think I’ll dig out Teleglitch and give that an airing.

2. Ghostwise says:

Wait, does that means that it’s Saturday ? Oh, crap it is.

3. Donkeyfumbler says:

I have the same problem as Alec – three games I’ve been waiting for released on the same day this week, so it will be a fight between Divinity, Dishonored and Pro Evo for my time (sorry kids, quality family time will have to wait til next month).

particlese says:

Pip, you’ve got your sentences jumbled! You should visit the pub down the road and there play the recorder. …Or are they actually really having you put on a concert there, and you were just trying to be stealthily boastful / actually modest about your musical talents?

Big Dunc says:

This weekend I’ll be playing XCOM 2, followed by some XCOM 2 and then some XCOM 2.

• Aetylus says:

Ditto. Well more specifically I’ll be getting my single player turn based tactical kicks in War of the Chosen, and I’ll be getting my multiplayer turn based tactical kicks in Atlas Reactor.

6. kelmorg says:

I played a lot of Destiny on ps4 and there’s not enough in the pc version for me to take another dip right now.
    I will be playing Don’t Starve: Shipwrecked and Dead Cells.

Thulsa Hex says:

Just finished Tacoma in one excellent sitting (a 33%-off Steam coupon for Gone Home owners incentivised me to buy it sooner than I intended). Very much enjoyed its method of story-telling and how it all looks. It’s really slick and intuitive, but with a healthy human touch.

I guess space stations make up the theme for me this weekend since I also intend to dig deeper into Prey. Enjoyed what I’ve seen so far.

I’ll also be trying Rainbow Six: Siege for the first time since one of my IRL (in real life and in Ireland–so that works on multiple levels!) friends recently migrated back to PC from consoles and it seems up our alley. It’s been ages since I’ve played anything except Rocket League online, so we’ll see how it goes…

• Agnosticus says:

I can tell you, the beginning is gonna be tough as hell! In Siege map knowledge is everything, because they are so extremely detailed, so maybe have the maps ready (printed or 2nd monitor).

But then you are through that it’s so much fun!

Thulsa Hex says:

Haha I misread this and thought you were recommending 3D-printing the maps! I wouldn’t be surprised if someone has done that though! We ended up just doing Terrorist Hunt as a party of two, giving ourselves a chance to mess around without too much pressure. It still kicked our asses, but we came away feeling better about things, overall.

• Agnosticus says:

Haha, yeah probably! Had the same thing when I glanced over my post…funny how brains work! :D

Wise decision! Also try to get 3 star situations…easy renown!

8. drewski says:

Batman Arkham Asylum, Euro Truck Sim 2 and maybe some GTA San Andreas. Jealous of all the consolers on Destiny 2 already.

• stringerdell says:

I cracked out arkham asylum the other week, its aged pretty well i thought

Thulsa Hex says:

I finished Arkham Knight a few weeks ago and I’m definitely still squarely in the “Asylum was best” corner. City and Knight pull off some incredible stuff, but they’re so messy and loud. Enjoyed much of Knight, to be sure, but wish it had the focus of the smaller game.

Ninja Dodo says:

Except some of the boss battles. I really did not enjoy replaying the Ivy fight on the higher difficulty, nor was the final battle especially worth doing to get to the ending again. Everything else though: pretty grand.

9. Avioto says:

A lot of Divinity Original Sin 2. I am undead so I have to run around with a bucket on my head, which never stops being funny.

And PES 2018, the PC version is great this year and looks amazing in 4K.

And I need to get my tower defense fix after I finished X-Morph, so I might start playing Sanctum 2 finally.

10. Menthalion says:

This weekend it will be Real Time Melee Time with the Mordhau Alpha that launched a few days ago, and which most participants already liken more to a beta mechanic and engine wise.

Can’t wait for my flight to leave this afternoon so I’ll be able to play tonight.

11. Morcane says:

Path of Exile, it consumes me really. What a bloody great game this is.

I might retry getting into Destiny 2 on the PS4, but after playing a few hours, I’m kind of bored already. Story is meh, and it just feels like a Destiny DLC. Like Brendan, I really want to like it but I just can’t get myself to going on. The gunplay is great, but I’m afraid that won’t be enough this time around.

Hm, perhaps I’ll dip into Warframe again. The upcoming expansion looks amazing.

• Daymare says:

My 84 SRS/Life Witch died on Harbinger HC to the Witch of the Cauldron, the boss of the Burial Chambers map. I’d kited her around for a while, somehow couldn’t kill her, until she just oneshot my 6k HP and MOM away in literally 0.1 seconds. Wasn’t even her Corpse explosion. Just got supercharged from all the absorbed souls.
      I just … stopped after that, had somehow never fought her before and said “Fuck this”.

So it’ll be Dishonored: Death of the Outsider for me and maybe some LoL.

12. Morte66 says:

I’m playing “let’s try reinstalling Doom and see if it will launch without silently terminating, like it started doing for no apparent reason when I was several hours into it.”

But it wants to re-download 35GB, and I have to throttle Steam a bit so the flatmate can play Tanks. So maybe I’ll be playing “let’s watch a download not finish” instead.

13. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Having finished Prey (John wasn’t exaggerating about the naff ending, was he? Even a Steam achievement would have helped, if only to confirm “yes, you did complete the game” as I was dumped back to the main menu.) I’ll be jumping across to Dishonoured 2. If only because it’s feeling increasingly difficult to avoid spoilers with the DLC coming so I should really finish it before I accidentally get things spoiled.

• harmen says:

Prey does have a proper ending, but there’s also a very short ending with the ugly guy saying “This wasn’t the right one” (or something similar). Look for another way to finish the game, or try youtube to see it. With the sort ending the whole game doesn’t make much sense…

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Nah, I found that one, then continued to find the “proper” ending. I think that was part of the problem, in both cases you get dumped back to the main menu afterwards with the option to continue from your last save. Obviously one of those two has some credits, but it still fell flat and didn’t feel like the game had properly finished.

14. JQHY says:

About to jack into Divinity: Original Sin 2 for the first time, not only for my subtle interest in fantasy XCOM but also my internal weakness against peer pressure. Hopefully it’ll be good…?

Also continuing my joyous time in slow-mo space with that one game I don’t know whether I’m allowed to talk about or not. Radio silence for now until I am told otherwise.

Might try and muster my interest in Absolver again: loved playing the ‘campaign’ but the formula that demands I now ‘git gud’ (quite rightly) for 1v1 battles has made me lazily slide off the bandwagon.

15. Chorltonwheelie says:

More Nier Automata for me. Not least because my neglected Steam Controller has at long last found its Special Purpose.

16. sagredo1632 says:

Get the feeling that John’s reply would have been the same as Adam’s, except he was too dedicated to bother to respond to the query.

The Almighty Moo says:

Staring longingly at PC PartPicker before spending the same sums on thing that I, you know, actually need. Soon though…soon.

18. Faldrath says:

Path of Exile and Xcom2. Yes, very healthy, I know.

Trying hard to resist impulse-buying Divinity 2… funny thing, though. I played D:OS1, loved it… but cannot remember a single thing about the story. I can’t even remember who I was supposed to be. I remember a few anecdotes, but that’s all. And it hasn’t been *that* long since I played it (certainly at least 6 months after the enhanced edition was released, maybe more). I will concede my memory isn’t stellar, but is the story really that vacuous?

• Haplo says:

My mate and I are doing a play through of it now (did 8 hours last night!). I know all the plot beats and my memory is pretty good, but I still have to occasionally stop and go “… Wait, who’s again? What are they doing? Wasn’t that…?”

At the very least, we don’t care much about the story. It’s not a bad story, perfectly serviceable, it’s just not the draw for me.

• Creeping Death says:

I absolutely loved D:OS but yeah, have to agree with you about the entirely forgettable story.

Still in the early part of 2 so its too soon to judge the story this time around but I will say that I am finding the companion characters much more likable and memorable. So that’s something…

19. Kefren says:

Still playing through all the freebies on my new Oculus Rift. I’ve also installed VorpX so I can try out some of my favourite old games in VR such as Doom3, Fallout3, Amnesia and Penumbra, Quake 2 etc. Realisation (that I’d never read in VR articles) – now that I can hold a handgun in each hand and shoot in different directions, covering two enemies at once, whether I am looking at them directly or not – I’d never want to go back to only being able to shoot both weapons at one point (and for it to have to be the point I am looking at).

• Flarn says:

Just fyi, Doom3,Quake2, and Penumbra all have OpenVr mods so you don’t have to use Vorpx. It’s much preferable because it is closer to native vr and also adds motion controls.

• Kefren says:

Thanks, it’s all new to me, so it’s handy to know the best way to do things!

• Kefren says:

Is there a list of what games have OpenVR mods and where I would download them? Also, does it matter if I got the game on GOG or Steam? Thanks.

particlese says:

Not sure in general, but for Quakes 1 and 2, UploadVR has a good recent starting point. Works with GoG, Steam, CD-ROM, shareware, etc. (you just need some data files), but you may need to dig into some readme files if things haven’t changed since I last tried RiftQuake. :)

• Vandelay says:

Been playing Doom 3 in VR recently and it is really great (you require the BFG version for the mod to work, by the way.) One recommendation I would make is to skip cutscenes whenever they pop up, as those seem to be a quick way to get motion sickness. First time I played without skipping and within about 15-20 minutes I was starting to feel quite queasy. Skipping them, I have had zero issues.

The mod uses the motion controls really well too, with the flashlight permanently in your left hand and weapon in your right. Punching and using the chainsaw are a little odd, but all the other weapons are great to use.

• Chaz says:

I think you can change where you have the flashlight now, so that you can have it weapon or head mounted too.

Motion sickness is a very individual thing and personally I’ve not had any problems with it in Doom3 VR. The cutscenes are still not quite right anyway and they often give you a rather interesting behind the scenes view of the stuff you weren’t supposed to see.

20. bramble says:

Dead by Daylight, thanks to it’s free weekend. You know that clicked horror movie scene where a character fumbles with a lock or a window for ages while we, the audience, know the killer is moments away from catching them? Dead by Daylight is That Situation, The Game.

Creates some tense and shocking moments, for sure. Getting kind of tired of losing every game I play as a survivor, though, and I think I will ultimately bounce off the game as a result.

• Kitsunin says:

Putting a ranking reset right before a free weekend was really stupid of them. I’ve been having way too easy a time of it as a killer, and I feel bad tbh. Just came out of a game in which I was literally downing people left and right while carrying other people. As the Hag, who is generally considered the second weakest killer.

But it is a pretty skillful game, get better and you’ll find you have about a 50% chance of survival (though the goal of the game as a survivor isn’t actually to live, it’s just to get enough points, like sacrificing yourself for someone else is rewarded and can be worth it). Playing a killer is pretty fun, but the fact they’ve actually managed to make a multiplayer game which feels like a horror flick as a survivor is brilliant.

AutonomyLost says:

Over the past few days I’ve gotten back into Nioh, hard. All my gaming this weekend will be devoted to it as such.

22. Viral Frog says:

I’ll be playing a lot of Plunkbat this weekend.

In between that, I’ll try to finish Prey. Prey is just so good, I’ve been putting it off because I don’t want it to be over yet. :/ I’m doing all the side stuff, which is pretty uncharacteristic of me. But I want more neuromods so I can finish my perfect (to me) build before the game is done.

Also probably sprinkle in some Rocket League and Golf With Your Friends and it’ll be a good weekend overall.

23. JakeOfRavenclaw says:

LA Noire, a game I bought years ago, back when I didn’t have a computer that could run it, and then forgot about until now. All the critiques are accurate–trying to figure out the videogame logic of certain conversations when you know the solution but don’t know how the game wants you to get there can be kind of frustrating–but when it works, it really works. The atmosphere is fantastic, the graphics have aged surprisingly well, and it feels like something genuinely unique and different. Would love to see a sequel that cleaned up some of the rough edges.

GornValim says:

I’m currently enjoying Assassin’s Creed : Revelations, which I installed last week after having finished Brotherhood. I know I should have waited a few months before playing this new episode, but I couldn’t resist (and I’m already very late to the party). I love these games, and I’m amazed at how they come up with new ideas with each episode. However, my favourite part is still the same : playing it as a virtual tourist, just wandering around the city (Constantinople this time) and soaking up the atmosphere. Templars can wait.

I’ll probably continue my playthrough of The Division – just discovered the Dark Zone, which is a nice change of pace. I’m also replaying all the Half-Life series from the very beginning : I’m near the end of Opposing Force, which is really good, and I have absolutely no memory of Blue Shift, so I’m looking forward to rediscover it.

Ah, and there is the Dead by Daylight free week, so maybe I’ll play a few more “trials”, as they say. So far I find it fun but not enough to buy it.

• floogles says:

Opposing Force is incredibly good isn’t it? If you haven’t played them yet, check out Half Life Uplink and Decay before you move on to HL2.

My favourite character in Half Life 1 is the Black Mesa Facility, god I love it in there.

GornValim says:

Yes! The opening of HL1 when you enter Black Mesa for the first time is forever stuck in my mind.

I’ve already finished Uplink, but I have never heard of Decay. A third episode from Gearbox, developed for the PS2, then ported by modders to PC ? I’ll definitely check it out after Blue Shift ! Thank you for having mentioned it.

• Chaz says:

I bounced of Revelations a bit. I’ve got nearly all the AC games to play through, spread across my Steam and UBI accounts. I left it a while before playing Revelations after Brotherhood, which I quite enjoyed. Something just didn’t feel quite right to me when playing Revelations. I don’t know whether it was just me or if they changed some of the mechanics a bit, but the actual assassinating felt different and not as fluid as in Brotherhood and it really put me off the game.

In Brotherhood you could target someone and when they were in range all you had to do was tap the assassinate button and you’d drop down or leap across to take someone out. In Revelations, the lock on felt rather vague and the distance to get the assassinate prompt seemed very reduced if it popped up at all. I couldn’t assassinate someone say 2-3 stories down in the street below because they were out of range, whereas in Brotherhood that wouldn’t have been a problem. So too was trying to sneak up on guards on the roof tops. In Revelations it felt like I had to be almost right on top of them before being able to assassinate them, if I got the trigger prompt at all. In Brotherhood by contrast you’d do great big leaping jumps to take down people. Very frustrating in a game that’s all about sneaking around undetected.

I’m in two minds to either give it a second try or just move onto the next game in the series.

GornValim says:

Maybe it’s because Ezio is getting old ? :)

I didn’t feel that “vagueness” you mention, but you may be right. This method of assassination is only one of the many many tools you have at your disposal, though. You can always use your crossbow, or throw a knife, or fire a bomb, or send your mini-assassins… Choice is yours !

25. geldonyetich says:

Perhaps more XCOM2:WotC if I decide I can endure more humiliation and stress in another Ironman Commander game.

Thinking it’s high time I beat Witcher 3.

Then along comes Divinity: Original Sin 2.

I need more time.

26. NailBombed says:

Have been solidly playing Skyrim – about 6 years after everyone else at this stage, took me this long and Fallout 4 to get here. The machine I now have plays it smooth as butter (even if some of those case fans I have are starting to sound a bit grindy – must replace those soon methinks), and I’m enjoying my time with it so far. I do get the beef people have with Bethesda games (and this, I’m sure, is as Beth-y as it gets), but nothing so far has irked me. Will probably plunge into the pool of user mods at some stage, but no Creation Club for me, thanks.

• Hoot says:

Some mods are pretty much essential (or at least are once you’ve used them because after that there is no going back to vanilla).

I don’t use many mods but I can’t play Skyrim without these :-

(Nexus Mod Manager)
      Unofficial Skyrim Patch
      Static Mesh Improvement Mod
      Total Character Makeover
      Ars Metallica Smithing

I highly recommend you get at least these 4. The patch for an insane number of tweaks and bug fixes that Bethesda didn’t fix in the normal patches. The SMIM for far superior graphics on objects. The TCM for far superior graphics on people and the smithing mod because hey, you should be able to craft your own arrows.

Also, with only these 4 mods it still feels like Skyrim, the changes just fit naturally into the game.

• NailBombed says:

Ah….. forgot to point out, I got the recent Special Edition version as it was on offer recently, so probably none of those mods can be applied until Skyrim Script Extender 64 is fully out.

Also…. Ars Metallica…. got to be a joke there somewhere about a certain thrash band!

• Chaz says:

If you look on Nexus, you’ll find many of those mods now have SE versions.

• Harlaw says:

All of the mods Hoot mentioned are available on Special Edition, actually. :) I’d add in A Quality World Map, Better Dialogue Controls, and Better MessageBox Controls as well. It seems like it’d make only a small difference, but the quality of life improvements are huge.

I’ll probably also be going back to Special Edition soon. There’s a (modded) Vigilant of Stendarr playthrough I’m planning…

Iamblichos says:

Dig or Die, based on a recommendation from these very comments last week. Here’s hoping it’s as fun for me as it was for the original commenter!

28. Zenicetus says:

Divinity Original Sin 2. Just dipping my toe into the first area to learn the new mechanics, experiment with party builds, and make sure it’s bug-free enough to start again as a co-op game.

I don’t like the new armor system. It seems designed to extend combat encounters, and isn’t much fun (IMO). But the rest is good, so far.

29. nillenille says:

Adam, stop it!

30. cpt_freakout says:

I insta-bought D:OS 2 but am going to wait a week (a weeeeeek!!) because one of the friends I’m gonna play it with is travelling. So this weekend I’m going to keep at Prey and try out Tooth & Nail. Maybe I’ll be able to drop a game or two of the newly expanded Blood Bowl 2.

31. fish99 says:

The first Destiny for me. Hit max level with my Warlock and trying to figure out the best way to get to light level 280 to start the last DLC (suggestions welcome). Also leveling up a Hunter alt.

I might have a look at Dishonored: Death of the Outsider later.

• welverin says:

Keep all of your highest level gear equipped at all times, your drops are determined by your current light level.

I’m not sure but there may be vendors who sell things at that level or higher, particularly Xur.

Leveling up factions and doing strikes (hard) may be your most reliable way however.

• welverin says:

Oh, and Crucible, that’s pretty reliable in giving you drops.

Also, it’s too late this week, but buy some Three of Coins from Xur and always have one running. They expire when you defeat a boss or complete a crucible match (there’s a modifier icon on the loadout screen next to your weapons/subclass).

I apologize if you know that already, but figured I’d explain it now just in case you don’t

• fish99 says:

Nah, I’m a total Destiny noob, only got the game a month ago and have barely looked up anything so far. I’ve just been going through the story missions and early strikes.

Up to light level 272 now, thanks again.

32. dracvs says:

The Witcher 3…
    I just had enough of Overwatch so I will go and try and finish that if the damn datacenter would not erupt into flames like it has been doing for the past 7 months.

33. Jonfon says:

Still Xcom. WOTC definitely has power creep. I’m still firmly tier 2 weapons and armour but I happily still killed my first Gatekeeper yesterday, before it even had a chance to do anything. The new Training system just makes Sharpshooters and Grenadiers ridiculous. SniperGunslingers and BombGunners with added random class abilities? Okay so.

It’s getting to the stage that PsiOp guys just always feel like the weaker choice.

34. Seyda Neen says:

I want to be playing Death of the Outsider, but I’ve started this Witcher 3 playthrough at a bit of a foolish time, I see now. Oh well, Witcher 3 is great. Getting every Gwent card this time around, and doing all the contracts and side quests. Always skipped a lot of those during previous playthroughs.

35. malkav11 says:

Man, all sorts of MMOs. Pushing further into Blue Mountain in Secret World Legends. Building towards the fight with Titan in Final Fantasy XIV. Levelling up my first character (a Scourge Warlock) in Neverwinter – fun combat, pretty, sooooo F2P. Doing yet more campaign running in Hex.

I may get some singleplayer gaming in there somewhere, who knows.

zinzan says:

Ended up playing a LOT of Combat Mission (always good) in between trying to get housework done and keep family onside.

• Chaz says:

I keep thinking of try one of these out, like the Battle for Normandy game, but A: they’re pretty expensive and B: there’s a confusing array of addons and bundles to choose from.

37. Someoldguy says:

D:OS2. Hoping the rumours are true and it’s displaced PlinkButt from the #1 slot on Steam for a week at least.

38. joer says:

3030 Deathwar: Redux.

Just discovered it. It’s very good.

particlese says:

Still having a ball with Lawbreakers, even with the pop hovering around 200±30 when I’m on, so more of that. Also gonna try to finish Skyrim:Dragonborn so I can purge that bundle of gigabytes from my drive and have enough space for Overwatch’s free thinger next weekend. I’d like to see how I like the game itself, as well as get a valid reference point for “modern shooters with a numerically good population”. I’ll also be interested to see what all this toxicity hubbub is about and if I’m as tolerant as I like to think I am (probably not), which should be a pretty easy experiment since I tend to prefer playing support and will be brand spankin’ new to the game. Thankfully, I have Brendan’s guide to help me through some of the challenging bits.

particlese says:

Oh! Also some Vermintide with RPS Discord People. It’s like Left 4 Dead with super satisfying melee, no zombies, and confusing-at-first crafting stuff in between missions.

40. dangermouse76 says:

Got Crysis running on windows 10 64 bit, so that and some Bastion.

41. and its man says:

Not sure I’m gonna play a lot this weekend. My wife is monopolozing the PC, and I’ve been sitting on the couch (in the company of a bad flu), watching her stumble and grope through Darkwood‘s dark woods for, like, 7 hours now.
    Darkwood is such a great game.
    She’s just started the second chapter and she’s completely hooked. Maybe she’ll eventually fall of exhaustion. Then I might grab a glass of wine and get back to 1998 FMV sexual-profiling game Tender Loving Care (which I think really didn’t deserve the raised eyebrows and amount of sarcasm it got here or there).

42. anHorse says:

Absolver, I’m awful but it’s so much fun and I can see where I’m improving all the time.

43. DeadCanDance says:

I wish ruiner was here.

44. Shinard says:

XCOM 2, with a side of XCOM 2, dusted with a little XCOM 2 and topped off with a little Minesweeper. Or, more likely, XCOM 2. After finally solving the bug that kept deleting my Ironman saves (well, I say solving, I just keep 3 separate backups now) I’m having a hell of a time, even though I can only play one mission at a time before my computer overheats.

It’s probably doing something awful to my computer, but I can’t stop playing. It is excellent, even without WOTC (waiting for a sale and an upgrade). Might play a little Hearthstone as well, because of course.

45. Minglefingler says:

Divinity: Original Sin 2. Boh co-op and my singleplayer campaign. There’s little progress being made in co-op as we keep messing up. Case in point, my co-op partner decided to stea something from an npc I needed to speak to for a quest and of course it turned into a bloodbath. Then I got us both killed. Haven’t laughed so much at a game’s mechanics in ages. Also Xcom 2, I’m 40 hours into a campaign that I could pretty much finish in a few more but I want to keep going for a while yet, got 2 Alien Rulers and a Chosen to kill before I head in to the last few missions. I also want to make sure that I don’t have to shotgun Jane Kelly in the face because she’s being mind controlled in the last mission, she has to be there and live this time.

46. Jason Moyer says:

Death Of The Outsider. Not sure there’s another option.

47. Cyrus says:

Back in the Witcher 3 loop again, so that for a few months😆

48. TheAngriestHobo says:

I finally got my hands on a Switch last week, and I’ve been in a euphoric Zelda daze ever since. Who’d have thought that Nintendo would field such an ambitious and nonlinear RPG? Not me, but now that I’ve tried it, I’m excited to see what they can do with some of teenage me’s other favourite franchises. Bring on the Kirby and Mario and whatnot.

• Jjgddyuikbvff says:

Have you got Splatoon? It’s remarkably good fun!

• TheAngriestHobo says:

That’s going to be my next purchase, actually! I’ve been trying to hold off till next payday since I’ve already dropped around $600 on the console + Zelda + carrying case + screen protectors (sales tax is a bitch). Really looking forwards to it, the coverage has made it sound like a great little multiplayer experience.

49. Vandelay says:

War of the Chosen’s release has made me go and actually play XCom 2 for more than the 5 or so hours that I had previously put into it. I did the same thing I did with the first XCom; play Iron Man mode on the 3rd difficulty and never get much beyond 5 or 6 missions in the game before everything crumbled into a point of no return.

This time I am ditching that approach and playing it just on the regular mode on the second difficulty, so that I can actually see more of the game. It has made me realise that getting the improved armour and higher tech weapons makes everything a lot easier!

Having a great time with it, although I’m a little worried I may have let the Avatar Project advance too much. I expected the blacksite missions to clear more than a single block, so wasn’t too worried about it getting beyond the half way point before doing the first.

I’m still not totally with the strategic layer of the game. There is a lot of nagging constantly and there is a lot that just doesn’t seem to be explained. For example, I only just realised, after making contact with three different regions, that I can construct radios at each to boast supply. To hear that WotC adds more “STUFF” to that part of the game doesn’t make it sound too appealing, as I really just want to be left alone to scan for these supplies or wait for this improved armour to be finished. Of course, there should be some urgency, but it already feels like you can barely go more than a couple of seconds without another pop up telling you to click through some other screens or stop what you are doing right this second to go over there.

Great game though and really glad that I have come back to it and actually made some progress.

• Jonfon says:

There’s always the option of sending 2 guys off on a Covert Op to lower the progress. Only takes a few days, uses 2 troops (sometimes with a 3rd to prevent capture happening) and knocks two blocks off the Avatar progress.

Let me knock the aliens back to about halfway when they had been 2 pips away from the Doomclock starting (I also did a facility raid and got the pants scared off me by the Beserker Queen, I’d never fought them before. God bless Chainshot)

But yes, the Strat screen busy work is all a bit much. Especially with Chosen constantly trolling you over Skype.

50. racccoon says:

I feel lost, as i did the cardinal sin, I lent someone my hard drive with all my 3d models, animations, graphics, old/new code, pics, music & great games of many years held inside, just so they could transfer some bigger files from their comp to a another friends. I went to use it after it was returned to find it was totally unusable, corrupted to the max! the drive was going like a repetitive steam train, I tried all avenues to salvage it, but it was worthless in all my mad many hours of efforts, the drive was completely f u ceed. So instead of having fun I been feeling very down, depressed, & lost. My last resort was breaking the shell & trying to use it as internal drive, using a special lone boot disk i’ve had for getting into anything as it has its own system, it couldn’t help either. After all those attempts I knew it was a write off. I then kindly turned old faithful, my sledge hammer and watched it satisfyingly smash the hard drive into a million pieces, I was very surprised just how easy & fragile they had become, unlike all the older hard drives of steel n other solid compounds of years ago which took a massive amount of swings for a sledge hammer to destroy! These new Hard drives just shatter way to easily to my surprise, it was a good feeling to see all those shiny bits everywhere & eventually throwing it into the recycle bin! I’m still a little grieving at the loss of files as memories keep flooding in to what really was in there & is now gone! Its only data though! and with my skills they can be renewed with the new and the improved! So all is not lost, just the feelings of reminders of what was. lol
    life goes on..

• lglethal says:

Um you probably dont want to know this now, but there are specialist firms out there that can retrieve data from dead harddrives. It’s not cheap, but they do it by reading the magnetic encoding directly off the platter (I wonder how that will work with SSD’s?).

So you know if the data is valuable to you, then there is usually a way to recover it. Destruction is not always the right option. :)

• NailBombed says:

No back ups for anything? Not trying to poke fun in the least, as loss of data can be fecking awful, but first rule for me is always back up stuff to a separate HD so you have at least some recovery. Really sucks to have that kind of a loss, though.

Comment on this story