Forza 7 demo screeches onto Windows 10

Parp parp! A demo for Forza Motorsport 7 [official site] is waiting outside, inviting us to pootle around three tracks for free. The full game will launch in October but the demo is here early, packing three tracks, three cars, and some dramatic weather conditions. The demo is available through Microsoft’s Store and yup, it does require Windows 10.

What’s in the demo? The blurb explains:

“The demo features three unique racing experiences in Forza Motorsport 7, showcasing the depth and breadth of the experiences available in the game. Drive the Forza Motorsport 7 cover car – the Porsche 911 GT2 RS – to the brand-new Dubai circuit and experience the thrill of navigating the Jebel Hafeet Pass, one of the most famous driving roads in the world. Or, pilot the massive Mercedes-Benz Tankpool racing truck to victory at the high-speed Mugello circuit in Italy.

“For drivers who want the ultimate test, the Nissan NISMO GT-R LM is available for a race at the Nürburgring Grand Prix circuit. Here, fans will be challenged to handle the ‘Ring’s complex corners and elevation changes, while also tackling the dynamic track conditions that will make racing in Forza Motorsport 7 so breathtaking. Racing through rainstorms laced with thunder and lightning make for a visual showcase and for a challenge like no other – where dynamic puddles grow and shrink with the intensity of the rain.”

Having watched Christine again last night (and always having Top Gear in mind), this copy does mostly make me think of people all aquiver longing to caress Tuscan leather interiors and tongue tailpipes. Remember to honk if you’re horny.

Forza Motorsport 7 is due to launch on October 7th. It’s made by Turn 10 Studios and published by Microsoft.

1. Linfosoma says:

I want this game, but I hate the MS store so much man, I can’t even download the thing!

Ggrrrrrr why won’t they release this in other stores?

• racccoon says:

Use this code to repair your shit in powershell..Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}
      wait for second and go
      after that keep shell open and thrash these out the window
      Get-AppxPackage *bingweather* | Remove-AppxPackage
      Get-AppxPackage *onenote* | Remove-AppxPackage
      Get-AppxPackage *photos* | Remove-AppxPackage
      Get-AppxPackage *windowscommunicationsapps* | Remove-AppxPackage
      Get-AppxPackage *bingsports* | Remove-AppxPackage
      Get-AppxPackage *windowsphone* | Remove-AppxPackage
      get-appxpackage *Microsoft.Messaging* | remove-appxpackage

That’s it your a free person now like me..lol

• shanechan420 says:

This didn’t work, store still says “get update” even tho I have the latest Windows 10 build, and my upon entering that code, Tiles on my Start Menu disappeared. >_<

• fish99 says:

I think you need to install the Creators update to get the game to download, since when you click Get Updated it take you to the Creators update page. That code above is just to remove some bloatware.

Personally I don’t care about the demo enough to install that update since I know it causes fps stuttering for some people.

2. blakeja says:

Wow, what an embarrassment of a demo. The game crashed out to the desktop twice. The 3rd time I managed to get a race loaded, but the default “Dynamic” smart settings were such that the game would stutter/stop every few seconds. I tried turning the resolution down from the default 4K, to 2k, finally to 1080p, same result, very disappointing, not playable. This is on a 1080ti, 7900X, 64GB, and a high end SSD. How the heck is anyone supposed to play this?

• spacein_vader says:

The Way It’s Meant To Be Played.

AKA: PLEASE buy an XBONE.

• Jeb says:

I had similar stuttering playing at 3440×1440 and lowering settings didn’t help (running 980 with oc i5-4670k and ssd). Really strange, as it would be butter smooth, then a few seconds later pause for a fraction of a second. Even transition videos displayed this stutter, so there’s something fundamentally wrong. Unplayable in current state.

• blakeja says:

Yea, that was it exactly. It would go from smooth and looking brilliant, to a stuttering train wreck. Boo.

• -Spooky- says:

Old i5-3570K and 970 ACX 2.0 on my end. Win10 still handling games like some app (no real fullscreen start on my end) and i experience the same micro freezes, like in FH3. Maybe i should try it from SSD. *mhm*

3. Zetetic says:

Try again later.

Something happened at our end.

Drib says:

Well at least it requires Windows 10, so I can’t play it and experience all the problems the people above are having.

5. OneEyeRed says:

Not sure why you all are having issues but it played flawlessly for me. Never been a big Forza fan and my favorite racing game by far is Dirt Rally as a sim. The demo was short with only 3 races but the cars drove wonderfully and visually the game was stunning.

The 3rd race had dynamic weather changes with rain and cloud breakage and it was nothing short of stunning. The water spray on the tarmac and all. I wish there was more honestly because I really enjoyed it. I had no issues downloading or installing and playing in Ultra settings at 144Hz refresh. I was hitting over 100 FPS continuously.

6. montorsi says:

Thanks for the heads up on this one. I’ve been wanting to give Forza a try for a while, but haven’t wanted to pick up MS’s console.

7. fish99 says:

Requires Windows 10 version 15063.0 or higher, but Windows is up to date and it won’t install. Does it actually require the Creators Update because I’ve heard that causes problems with a bunch of games?

Also why when you try to download anything on the store does it auto start downloading it on xbox one as well? That is so dumb.

• cqdemal says:

I’m on Creators Update. No issues with any game as far as I can tell.

• fish99 says:

It’s a known issue Microsoft have acknowledged, it causes stuttering in some games for some people, and since there’s no benefit to installing it, I’d rather just wait until it’s fixed.

Google ‘windows 10 creators update stuttering games’.

8. dangermouse76 says:

22Gb demo ? wow.

9. Rince says:

Oh, c’mon. Why only the Windows Store thingie again? Can’t we have it and the previous one in Steam already?

10. OneEyeRed says:

I forgot to post my spec’s but as I stated, I had no issues running this.

Case: Corsair Graphite 760T with 2 x140MM Fans, 4 x120MM fans
    MOBO: Asus TUF Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 LGA 1150
    Processor: I7-4790K
    Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 850 G2
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6276-KR
    Ram:Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB

Zamn10210 says:

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say the wattage of your power supply and branding of your RAM probably aren’t of the utmost importance in this case.

• OneEyeRed says:

Yea sorry, I was multi-tasking with my nine year old and forgot to delete those parts as I have a full list of my spec’s in a doc. I was more trying to be helpful if anyone has a similar setup and what not. I am running Win 10/64 up to date but I figured one would assume that already.

• Hardlylikely says:

I have an In Win 805 mid-tower. It is mostly made of tempered glass, not sure it will be safe to run such a high speed game?

Nice motherboard though, love the Sabertooths.

Comment on this story