Podcast: The Electronic Wireless Show talk roguelikes, Rogue Islands, and Divinity: Original Sin 2

Nice to meet, face to FACE

Here, drink this potion. It’s called the Electronic Wireless Show and it’s a podcast. Yes, you drink it via your ears, unusual I know, but you’ll feel much better afterwards. This week, we’re talking about roguelikes, roguelites, roguefites and roguelifes. What do words even mean anymore? Also, Pip has been enjoying the blocky spellcasting of Rogue Islands, while Adam is killing innocent young men in the fantasy caves of Divinity: Original Sin 2. Absolutely unnecessary behaviour. To make matters even more unbearable, it’s the last podcast with Pip! I shall sum up how I feel about this using the ASCII language of the roguelike.

You can listen above, or go straight to Soundcloud where you can download it for later.

You can also get the RSS feed here or find it on iTunes, Stitcher or Pocket Casts. Pip-farewelling music is by Jack de Quidt.

Want to write in with questions for a future episode? Now you can, to podcast@rockpapershotgun.com.

Links:

What is a roguelike?

Roguelikes we’ve covered

Delver review (early access)

Streets of Rogue review (early access)

Seven days of Rogue

Rogue Islands review

Divinity: Original Sin 2 verdict

Our readers’ favourite roguelikes

Drib says:

Phillipa Warr is leaving RPS? That’s unfortunate. It’s going to change the feel of the podcast and the site both.

2. Faldrath says:

Piiiiiiiip :(

(good luck, all the best!)

3. Crusoe says:

Pip is leaving? That would be a real shame for the site. I was really hoping for more Subnautica articles upon its release next month.

4. Taerdin says:

I kind of feel like the roguelike/roguelite distinction is a bit pointless considering how few “true” roguelikes are actually being released nowadays. I mean we still get the occasional game that looks like Doom or Wolfenstein 3d, but that doesn’t mean modern FPS isn’t FPS, genres evolve.

5. Morph says:

Pip! Noooooo!
    Good luck at PC Gamer

Waltorious says:

One more person who’s very sad to see Pip go!

7. Dreylin says:

Noooo! We’ll miss you Pip!

8. R. Totale says:

R.I.Pip
    ;_;

9. mechavolt says:

You’ll be missed, Pip. Best of luck over in PC Gamer land.

10. Justin says:

You will be sorely missed on the site and the podcast, Pip. Don’t be afraid to make the occasional guest appearance. I won’t tell the PC Gamer barons.

honkhonkgoose says:

Congrats Pip! Thanks for everything and best of luck at PC Gamer.

12. Vandelay says:

But you already have the real thing Pip. Why go to the fanzine!?

All the best. I hope that they allow you to continue working on your excellent Paint skills on screenshots.

13. M0dusPwnens says:

The outro music takes on a very bittersweet character this episode!

14. Gang of one says:

Good luck Pip, I’ll have to check on PCG every now and again for insect updates I guess. I have very much enjoyed your writing on RPS and your refreshing voice on this podcast and on C&C.

15. Agnosticus says:

RPS has a podcast?! Gdamn, I’m checking out this site every day, how could I have been missing that?! Insta-Subscribed

16. Rizlar says:

Toodle Pip. :'(

17. geldonyetich says:

First time listener, and pip leaves. Well, I enjoyed it anyway, a bit of earnest discussion about games jives well with my hobbies.

18. NetharSpinos says:

So long Pip, and thanks for all the fish! (and the insects, and the animals, and the plants, and the…)

19. April March says:

Aw. Pip’s always been the spirit of modern RPS for me. I didn’t even get to make that many puns about her name :(

20. kuertee says:

Permanent death, randomly generated levels, the UI (i.e. ASCII, sprites, keyboard commands, etc.) and the difficulty-level were not exclusive to Rogue-like games, though. And therefore, I think, can’t be used to classify a game as “Rogue-like”. I don’t even remember those features to ever specifically classify Rogue-like games until only recently. RPGs WITH randomly-generated levels WERE the classifiers for “Rogue-likes”. I programmed my own “Rogue-like” back in 1985 in an old Apple II.

And I do think that we need to properly label games. E.g. There was an article where the author was struggling to label a game described in the article that, to me, was very clearly a “top-down shooter” and nothing else.

I really don’t think we should use game features as classifiers. Instead use actual classifiers that describe the game.

E.g. Rogue-likes were RPGs and nothing else. And Rogue-likes is only a sub-class of RPGs. E.g. Souls-like is sub-class of 3rd-person-action adventures. FTL IS NOT Rogue-like. Its a top-down, sci-fi adventure game.

21. kuertee says:

One more thing: FTL is a special case. It is overrated. I think it gets its accolades because, for younger players, it’s new and peculiar. For me, it’s an old-school game. It’s a good game – but not groundbreaking.

Comment on this story