We’ve launched rockpapershotgun.de!

rpsgermany

A quick look at our traffic tells me that Germany is currently Rock, Paper, Shotgun’s third largest audience. That’s a lot of people, and if you’re one of them, we’ve made something for you. It’s rockpapershotgun.de! A new site that both translates our articles into German and produces new original work just for German readers.

This project is one of the things made possible by RPS joining Gamer Network earlier this year. GN has been translating websites like Eurogamer into other languages for years and rockpapershotgun.de is benefiting from that experience.

RPS.de will be translating a portion of our news and features each day and there are already lots of articles to read, such as John’s tale of cat-based Divinity woe and Brendan’s experiences with punishing strategy game Tooth & Tail.

If you’re a German reader, pop over and say hello to Sebastian Thor, who is leading the work. We hope you find the new site useful, and you can let the team there know your thoughts by emailing kontakt@rockpapershotgun.de.

1. dangermouse76 says:

As a Brit I will now only read the google translate version of the German site.

I look forward to some interesting translations.

• dangermouse76 says:

GTA Online: In the new mode Bombushka Run you helter like claws from the sky

2. dbs says:

(snatches that domain quickly for bargaining purposes)

• DasBilligeAlien says:

You should also get steinpapierschrotflinte.de as that is the correct translation :D

Though i like schussgewehr more.

• master thief says:

Spooky von Dusty Springfield spielt im Hintergrund.
        – So, wo waren wir?
        – Schussgewehre. Etwa … Gewehre die Schuss schießen?
        – Oh, dann musst du das Gehirn sein. Genau, Gewehre die Schüsse schießen.

• Rulin says:

Rock–paper–scissors is translated in a different order, in Germany it is Scissors-Stone-Paper. (Schere, Stein, Papier)

So a direct translation of the site’s domain is problematic.
      It would be something like SchereSteinFlinte.de or when you want to keep the original order of RockPaper…
      “SteinPapierFlinte.de”

link to de.wikipedia.org

• Halk says:

Actually, I have never heard anyone enumerate it in this order. I am much more used to “Stein, Schere, Papier”. And a quick Google search produces more results for “stein schere papier” than for “schere stein papier”.

So I would use steinschereschrotflinte.de. Also has a much better rythm than the other way around.

• cesarcotta says:

on a similar note, no domain in german is complete with lots of randomly placed dashes
          correct url would be:
          rock-pa-pershot-gun—-.de

• trollomat says:

Alternatively, some clever use of the .de combined with one of the sexier dialects:

steinbabierschrötflin.de

• Otterley says:

Nein, those are not dashes, they are minuses. The URL needs to convey a sense of diminishing expectations: rock minus paper minus shotgun dot de!

Godwhacker says:

The real question is, which of these domains will beat one of the other two but lose to the other?

• Saarlaender39 says:

dbs:
      “I think you got the URL wrong ;-) It should be http://steinpapierschussgewehr.de
      ———-
      As a German, I would translate “Rockpapershotgun” to “FelsenPapierSchrotflinte”.

While you can use “rock” for “Stein” – most people (I guess) would translate “Stein” with “stone”.

And while “schussgewehr” is the literal translation – “Schrotflinte” is the actual meaning of “shotgun”.

• Schnallinsky says:

das spiel heisst aber “schere-stein-papier” –
        ich bin also für auch für “scheresteinschrotflinte”.

• Saarlaender39 says:

Schnallinsky:
          “das spiel heisst aber “schere-stein-papier” –
          ich bin also für auch für “scheresteinschrotflinte”.”
          —–
          Das Spiel heißt im Original “Rock-Paper-Scissor”, aber ich hab keine Ahnung, was das eine mit dem andern zu tun hat.
          Bei uns heißt es übrigens “Schnick-schnack-schnuck”.

• CheeseFarts says:

In germany, the game is most commonly know as “ching-chang-chong”. You could make it “chingchangschrotflinte.de”.
        But tbh, while the idea of a german version looks nice on paper, it`s most certainly an utter waste of time and resources.
        Perlen vor die Säue.

• CheeseFarts says:

Thinking about it, PerlenvordieSäue.de or chingchangbumm.de would be quite fitting.

• Someoldguy says:

None of these domains are accurate, because only the British aspire to this level of pedantry, surely? ;)

• Prinzmegahertz says:

Müsste aber eigentlich Schießgewehr heißen.

Fuchs du hast die ganz gestohlen, gib sie wieder her!
      Sonst kommt dich der Jäger holen mit dem Schießgewehr.

3. Addie says:

Einfach toll! Third largest audience behind Blighty and the Vatican State, is my guess. Hope you have rockpapalshotgun.com registered already.

4. Syt says:

Uhm, thanks, I guess? If you don’t mind I’ll stick with the English version. Please don’t try to force German language IPs (Germany/Austria/parts of Switzerland) to the German site by default like IGN tried way back when.

• particlese says:

Yes, please don’t redirect us on purpose! There are no shenanigans at the moment, but as a native English-like speaker an a foreign land, it really peeves me when I’m forced over to a .de version. (I’ll forgive accidents caused by experimental lever-pulling in WordPress, though, don’t worry.)

That said, juhu! Maybe I’ll finally learn the correct genders of all the things…

• Rane2k says:

I third that notion.

While I am german, that does not mean I want to read things in my native language. I prefer to read/watch/listen things in the language they were produced in, if I know that language.

• unacom says:

I agree. One very minuscule, almost infinitessimal reason why I actually visit RPS is its very britishness and international audience. I might be tempted to go for a look or two, but my guess is you won´t be able to convey the right amount of germanness coupled with an adequate audience (I´m not even trying for silliness).

Haben Sie Herrn Stone schon dazu gebracht einen Täuschkörperpfad und Fucher anzulegen?

5. His Dudeness says:

GB, USA, Germany, who is next?

6. -Spooky- says:

“Hier das Geblubber” .. don´t translate 1:1 – thanks. ;)

• Halk says:

Of course “Geblubber” makes no sense in that context. But that’s not because it’s a 1:1 translation. It’s simply a wrong one.

There is not real equivalent of the word “blurb” in German. “Klappentext” in the case of books, yes, but in the digital realm?

Maybe “Werbetext”. Or just stick with “blurb”.

7. Blowfeld81 says:

Dankeschön,

will stick to the original.
    IGN.de for example is just horrible, lacks content and always tried to lure me back to the German page, instead of the US version.

I rather continue to read quality articles here, but hope you do not only transfer the name, but the whole quality level to the German domain.

EDIT:

First impression of the German website: Seems to be allright, really interested if it can generate lots of extra traffic.

• Carra says:

Same here. There’s a dutch version of IGN. I just prefer visiting the US version.

Reminds me of when they released a Dutch version of “Black & White”. They had to patch in an English option to help their sales…

• Avioto says:

Haha, I totally forgot about that. I got super mad I had to play it in Dutch. And I was 11 at the time!

8. causticnl says:

how you translate wot I think

9. pantocreator says:

that´s grandios, wunderbar, but will (we) germans have the same splendid humor?!?!?!?

• Solidstate89 says:

Nein.

• Halk says:

Splendid humor? On RPS!?!

• modzero says:

As part of proper translation, all stereotypically British humor will be translated to stereotypically German humor.

• Blowfeld81 says:

Humour? No!

Efficiency? Yes, very much!

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Also, emissions scandals.

• unacom says:

No. There will be an adequately regulated and monitored emission-trading-scheme, naturally.
          It will generate different, independent, certifying bodies, naturally.
          These will, in the end, employ far more analysts than RPS ever did. Naturally.
          Sadly.

• AutonomyLost says:

Hahahaha

10. Stirbelwurm says:

Now this is something I didn’t expect!
    Pretty nice for the RPS team as a whole that you are expanding to other languages.
    Although I’m german I wouldn’t switch to the other site, since I’m already used to the writing style of our dear writer and a single translator will not be able to reflect that. But I guess I’m not the target audience, this is most likely a way to get more new readers.

I’m also disappointed of the total lack of puns in the titles! :)

I’ve also noticed that the articles themselves are in german, the website as such is not. I’m guessing this is a work in progress?

11. N'Al says:

Das Ende ist nah.

12. Companion Pube says:

Why would anyone switch to reading the German translations when they’re already reading the original English site?

Please don’t force us to use the new site or display annoying pop-ups that urge you to switch based on our IP addresses.

Hopefully we can just ignore this entirely.

• Otterley says:

I’d guess it’s aimed at those that might enjoy RPS but aren’t proficient enough in English or humour to understand the original.

13. tour86rocker says:

I’ve heard that humor doesn’t translate that well.

• Blowfeld81 says:

If you have problems translating humour, here is some help to get you started:

Hu­mor, der;
      Wortart: Substantiv, maskulin;
      Wort mit gleicher Schreibung: Humor (Substantiv, maskulin);

Worttrennung: Hu|mor

– Fähigkeit und Bereitschaft, auf bestimmte Dinge heiter und gelassen zu reagieren;
      – sprachliche, künstlerische o. ä. Äußerung einer von Humor bestimmten Geisteshaltung, Wesensart;
      – gute Laune, fröhliche Stimmung;

Herkunft:
      älter englisch humour = literarische Stilgattung des Komischen, eigentlich = Stimmung, Laune < altfranzösisch humour < lateinisch (h)umores = (Temperament und Charakter bestimmende) Körpersäfte, zu: (h)umor = Feuchtigkeit, Flüssigkeit

You are welcome!

• yonsito says:

Don’t mention the war.

14. RuySan says:

Maybe you can finally include prices in €.

15. FurryLippedSquid says:

Isn’t this splitting the user base?

16. YogSo says:

I don’t speak German, so this is of no real concern to me, but I just browsed the German version out of curiosity and noticed a weird thing: why is every original author of the translated articles properly credited EXCEPT Alice, who is replaced in every single instance by ‘RPS UK’?+

Edit: Somehow related, I’ve also noticed the ‘alt text’ jokes (which are almost exclusively used by Alice, but not just her) are also absent.

17. DasBilligeAlien says:

Thats surprising. I think it will be difficult to get the same level of qualit in the wirting with one dude :D

But germany could use a more laid back games site. (Beisdes the glorious game one/two :D)

I think the biggest problems ist translating decribtions if you havn’t played the game.

18. darkath says:

PierrePapierFusilàpompe.fr please :)

• TheAngriestHobo says:

The Scottish Gaelic version would pretty awesome too, at least according to Google translate.

CreagPàipearGunna-Gunna.scot

19. Shiloh says:

Sehr gut. You’re going to have to start translating the contributors names now though, for the benefit of our German friends. I’ll give you a start:

Johann Spaziergänger
    Graham Schmidt
    Adam Schmidt
    Tim Stein
    Philippa Krrieg
    Brendan Heisstgut
    Alice Ach’Connor
    Alec Meer is fine, his surname’s German already.

You’re welcome.

20. freakpants says:

If you want a german audience, maybe you shouldn’t spew such unfounded hate at Daedalic.

• Halk says:

But spewing unfounded hate is RPS’s primary raison d’être, no?

• Michael Fogg says:

But they do like Piranha Bytes, at least?

• Darth Gangrel says:

“Don’t hate the player (the developer, in this case), hate the game” as the old saying goes and I think RPS hates certain parts in their games, not the developers.

• Tosgromm says:

I’m confident that John Walker would take a shine to a new installment of Deponia if it is a picross game with a Visual Novel campaign about taking vengenace on a cat killer.

• Otterley says:

It sounded like well-reasoned vitriol to me.

• Rulin says:

Even most of the germans don’t play their games…

21. Tachanka says:

Die, RPS, die.

• lglethal says:

lol. Ahhh the Simpsons, is there any situation which doesnt have a relevant Simpsons joke available?

Grizzly says:

If you want to create a rockpapershotgun.be, the folks over at PC Gameplay really need to step into this website game already :-P

23. skyturnedred says:

Having done some translation work myself, some of RPS’s articles would be my worst nightmare to translate. Those puns are too much.

• Tuidjy says:

Heh. In the nineties, I made some money translating San Antonio (Frédéric Dard) into a couple of Slavic languages. Some San Antonio books must approach one pun per line, and Slavic languages, especially the recently reformed ones, do not lend themselves to puns. If it were not for gratuitous profanity, I could have never made it work.

I wonder whether there is a point to the alternative version of the website. English is only my fourth language, but I would never even dream of reading the articles in something else but the original language.

To be honest, anything having to do with gaming, programming, and computer science is a pain to read in most other languages, no matter how well I speak them.

24. BenLeng says:

Wat? As a german, I don’t really know what to think of this: One the one hand I feel flattered, on other hand I kinda prefer to read the site in english. Will the articles by Sebastian Thor (this name is so german it seems made up) also be translated to the english site?

25. gubelfax says:

That’s it! Bye, bye gamestar.de!
    From now on I will stick to Eurogamer and RockPaperShotgun.
    Keep up the good work!

26. Chorltonwheelie says:

3rd largest eh?
    That’s a large segment to advertise at.
    More advertising revenue = more scotch egg consumption.
    More scotch egg consumption = longer Horace!
    Longer than infinity? You’ve broken science!
    Can’t help thinking you’ve not thought this through.

• Otterley says:

I suspect it is a scheme to increase the cardinality of Horace. The concept instills awe and terror in unequal and non-finite measures.

• particlese says:

Yep, not to worry – the mathematicians will help keep the science and Horace in rude health simply by making the length of the latter a longer infinity. RPS’ll do just fine, you’ll see.

• Zmobie says:

Different infinities are not equal in size or speed. For instance, while both the set “all real numbers” and the set “all integers” are infinite, the fomer is larger than the latter (and I suppose the set “all rational numbers” are larger than the “all integer”-set, but smaller than the “all real”-set)

So depending on which set Horace currently inhabits(?) maybe he will bump up into a larger one?

Also, if Horace is charcterized by (??) the “all integer”-set does that mean he’s exhibiting macro-level quantum effects, since the integer-set is discreet values?

27. holy says:

Being German, I would advise against overextending …
    Have (only very quickly) scanned it, and think the specific ‘RPS’ tone of voice doesn’t carry over that well …
    Entschuldigung – es tut mir sehr leid! Hope you don’t mind me staying here on the ‘real’ RPS for now.

28. KwisatzHaderach says:

Excellent! One more step towards total subjugation of the Zwischennetz!

Well, I can’t see myself taking up the kindly offer of reading RPS in my mother’s toungue much, but this is perfect for the few friends of mine who are young enough to game and still don’t speak English well enough to be referred to your fabulous content. I hope this pays off and you can reel in a couple of new members for the Cult of Horace.

29. tkjgmz says:

Whoa, congratulations on your offspring. That came unexpected.

I’ll probably stick to the original with occasional peeks to the new site here and there, since the games-related part of my mind pretty much switched languages a couple of years back and it would feel very weird to go back. But I assume new readers are your target audience anyway.

This seems like such a difficult task, to translate the particular tone of RPS into German.
    From what I’ve seen so far, some articles read almost machine-written because the translations are so literal.
    The cheeky and tone-rich playfulness of the original turns into an uncanny and artificial and somehow overly wordy writing style when translated word by word. A looser “translation in spirit” would maybe read more natural.

Anyway, enough nit-picking. Best of luck!

30. Vanderdecken says:

ITT: a concerning number of word-perfect Germans.

• Blowfeld81 says:

You are very efficient in presenting your thoughts, are you sure you do not have German ancestors further down the line, Mein Herr?

31. bramble says:

My fellow Americans, when will we get our own version of RPS? For how long will we suffer superfluous “u”s, references to eggs eaten in Scotland, and frighteningly malformed symbols of value that mock the true and perfect $? When will be have a space where articles are not cruelly posted between 10pm and 6am EST, letting all the best and funniest comments be stolen by foreigners while we sleep to prepare for another 10 hour workday that could always be our last? A website that advocates for NASCAR games being as prestigious as F1 games? A website that doesn’t confuse me when making foot-to-ball jokes accompanied by a graphic of a soccer game, a game reserved for school children, not adults? An RPS by the people, for the people!

32. Replikant says:

Thanks for the offer but I’ll pass, I guess. I wandered in here by chance some years ago and stayed for the puns and the pleasant and/or thoughtfull and/or hilarious comments (is this level of maturity even legal on the internet?).

33. gabrielonuris says:

Well, maybe some day we brazilians get one too, heh? I’d be glad to translate and/or create content for a “pedrapapelescopeta.com.br”!!

34. takfar says:

I can’t be the only one who glanced and read rockpapershotgun.die

35. Ser Crumbsalot says:

Any chance there’s gonna be an RSS feed only for the original, non-translated content on the german site?

Bluerps says:

Wunderbar!

However, I will join the other Germans who have said that they will stay here, rather than go to the new page.

But I think Germans who already read RPS are probably not the intended (primary) audience anyway, and the goal is more to get an audience of German-only readers.

Anyway – viel Erfolg with the new page. Sei sie gesegnet von Horace, dem Unendlichen Bär.

37. racccoon says:

All for the German translation
    I do think its unfair to segregate certain articles just for German users.
    I thought this was a game site for all walks of life in the international gaming arena, with holding game articles because they are supposedly best suited Germany is wrong.
    GAMING IS INTERNATIONAL.

• unacom says:

Actually, I think gaming should be international as well as regional (please note: not national or exclusive).
      Some jokes don´t translate well. And shouldn´t.
      I also think some themes won´t work internationally nor should they be translocated.
      I´d really like pc-gmaing to develop niches.
      Culture-specific oddballs, if you like.
      I´m putting up silly ultra-localized themes to illustrate:
      Fingerhakeln,
      Hornussen,
      or themes that are universally acknowledged, but have strong local character:
      Carnival
      These would naturally cater to a small, mainly local, audience. BUT. Anyone interested might have a go.
      There was a very rendition of that idea in one of the Hitman games. A contract during Mardi Gras. I really liked the atmosphere, but kept wondering how someone from St. Louis might react to the scenario.
      In this vein, some articles would then be only of interest fo those in the community. Be it Salvadorian-American, Bhutanian, Basque or German, for that matter.

38. CheeseFarts says:

Muhhhaa you are the buffoons extraordinaire of gaming websites.
    While the texts are german, every damn button/link is still in English. Well played, Sirs and Sirettes, well played.

If you by any means need someone to translate, i hereby invite you to send me precious bucks

• CheeseFarts says:

to support your newest endeavour.

• CheeseFarts says:

Here`s a work sample:
        “No comments” would translate to “Keine Kommentare”.
        Playerunknown`s Battlegrounds–> Spielerunbekannt seine Schlachtfelder

etc.

39. AbyssUK says:

This is great news, being a Brit in Deutschland attempting to master the language (5 years in and still rubbish!) I can now attempt to read the gaming news in German!

Good luck Herr Thor you are going to need it, RPS’s mix of colloquial English to some sort of comprehensible German is a really hard translation task.

Indeed a 1:1 translation is going to be close to impossible in many cases. I’d suggest turning RPS.de into more of a review/explaination site of RPS’s UK site an explainxkcd sort of affair.

Also will we be getting german forums or anything ?

40. fnkstr says:

As a professional translator, I must say the German site makes a pretty damn good first impression. Ofc all the punnery has to be toned way down so as not to get mangled beyond recognition, but I like that the tone is a lot less serious overall.
    My guess would be there is machine translation with a degree of post-editing happening. (have you tried link to deepl.com googletranslate is a lame duck) Also, I wouldn’t mind exploring career change options to work on this baby if any more help is needed :)

As a reader, I didn’t see this coming at all – like many of my fellow Germans I prefer to consume content in the original language where possible (Thank you Sir Terry).

41. AutonomyLost says:

This is what I call serving the readership.

42. sonofsanta says:

Good grief, good luck to them on translating all the terrible puns.

Minor point, that may just be because I loaded .de from a UK IP–the silly EU cookie warning at the bottom was still in English.

43. haldolium says:

As long as Leo Fischer won’t be writing about games, there is no reason to read any games related German website at all. There simply is no one with the ability to write good articles and/or has even a remote sense of humor.

44. Saarlaender39 says:

Die Deutsche Ausgabe wird ja förmlich geflutet von Kommentatoren. ;o)
    The German Edition is really getting flooded by commenters. /s

45. Salsa says:

If you guys ever decide to launch Rock Paper Shotgun Brazil. Please consider my formal application right here and right now.

46. LaKriz says:

Is this move Brexit related?