Parp parp! Project CARS 2 released

Slightly Mad Studios flashed the starting lights for their racing game Project CARS 2 [official site] yesterday, sending it roaring into the night and onto Steam. Stirling Matheson celebrated it (with some reservations) in our Project CARS 2 review, and I know I’ll certainly trust the racing opinions of someone with a name like Stirling Matheson.

Stirling (do we know for certain he’s not a sentient car? they can have Internet these days) concluded his Wot I Think:

“Project Cars 2 addresses most of the flaws of its predecessor while expanding its scope, and in doing so has carved out a new niche for the series. It’s not the absolute best sim for any given discipline – if you’re really into Rallycross, get Dirt 4, and if you’re really into open wheel cars, spring for iRacing (if it’s in the budget) – but if you just want to buy one game that allows you to keep coming back and mixing it up, the sheer variety of tracks, cars, race formats, and options means that this game will keep you happy. It might not be the absolute best in any of its classes, but if you want to race and have fun in a bunch of ways without buying a bunch of expensive games, this might be your golden ticket.”

If you’re interested, it’ll run you £44.99/€59.99/$59.99 on Steam.

1. ColonelFlanders says:

” spring for iRacing (if it’s in the budget) ”

Never spake a man truer words than these. Fuck me, I’m always so skint. I might, MIGHT check this one out – I like that they’ve stolen iRacing’s SR system, I might wait a couple months and watch some MP videos, because I know for sure as my poo is brown that I’m tired of iR’s glacial development pace.

2. Unsheep says:

I agree with Sterling; if you only buy one racing game each year, this could be all you need right now. If you are interested in single-player gaming that is.

Their main competitor, Assetto Corsa, offers much less content in comparison; you have to buy a large number of DLCs for it, in order to get a complete game.

However, mainstream gamers today only play racing games for the multiplayer, so the amount of content is unimportant. Instead it’s the number of online players that will decide the game’s success and popularity.

Just look at Dirt Rally. If there was no multiplayer in that game nobody would care about it, apart from a few old-school rally game enthusiasts. You would not have the infestation of the Dark Souls git-gud players we see today, who have somehow found their way into every other niche.

• GomezTheChimp says:

I must be in a minority of one then. I have no interest in multiplayer at all, due to me being a Very Bad Driver. If the a.i. is as bad as it`s purported to be in this game, then it`s not the game for me. I`ve also seen reviews which show the graphics to be somewhat patchy, varying from quite good to quite poor. On the other hand, it looks like it has the best designed UI of all current racing sims. Which is nice.

• LacSlyer says:

Your comparisons of AC to PC2, primarily with pricing, aren’t valid. AC has been developed as the sole game since its release, while PC2 was announced shortly after PC was released and was the primary focus for their team. Releasing DLC isn’t always a bad thing, and with AC it’s well worth it not only for the price, but the continuous updates that come with the DLC release.

Also, please note the Project Cars and PC2 both have DLC as well. So your entire point is moot on that subject.

• fish99 says:

I think you’d be surprised how many people don’t play a lot of multiplayer. I remember Epic saying something like 90% of UT players never went online and that’s a game that’s totally MP focused.

• Foosnark says:

I have 693 hours in Dirt Rally. Some of that was the weekly/daily challenges, but… does that really count as multiplayer?

For me it was more like single-player that happened to give me comparison stats vs. the community as a whole. I was never going to beat the hardcore racing sim types with my casual attitude and Steam controller but I liked to see myself just barely make the first tier on a good day.

I never did the league thing with it.

76 hours into Project Cars 1, annoyed with career mode and I haven’t done multiplayer at all. I’ll either go back in to tool around in an Atom on “Quick Race Weekend” now and then or free up my hard drive space.

29 hours into Dirt 4 so far and no intent to do multiplayer.

3. fray_bentos says:

Your dodgy apostrophes are freaking me out, stop it! This is a real apostrophe by the way: ‘ not, ` wherever did you get that mutant symbol from?

4. Rince says:

Again not AE86? How I’m supposed to drift then?