Ding ding! Drive a cat tram in browser game Short Trip

Fancy driving a tram through picturesque mountain villages populated by cats? Course you do! What you want is Short Trip [official site], a new free browser-based game from Alexander Perrin. It’s a delightful hand-drawn tram simulator rolling through hamlets and forests, over streams and up hills, taking in the sights and sounds. Just the ticket on a Monday!

As a cat person yourself, potter out your horse, board the tram, and roll on along your route, pick up and dropping passengers off along the way. I suppose you could not let passengers on or refuse to let them off, powering on through the landscape while ringing your bell wildly.

Oh yes, hot tip: press space to ring your bell.

You can play Short Trip free in your browser on Perrin’s own site or Itch.

One little detail I always enjoy: the build village clocks reflect your system clock. Yes, this short trip is exactly what I need right now.

Looking at Perrin’s other work, I see he previously worked on something with a similar style. Noirmittens was a game about catfolk transporting goods by boat and by walking house, but he stopped working on it in 2015. As much as I like this boat, Short Trip is certainly more my bag.

1. Frosty Grin says:

Yes, you can. Makes the trip even shorter. And the passengers can call an Uber. :)

2. Archangel says:

This is beautiful and delightful; I love these traditional-art games/interactive whatsits. This one is so precise and detailed, yet peaceful and dreamlike. Well done!

Also: The Itch site has some more background text/description/instructions.

3. guidom says:

thankyou so much, that is just what i needed before bed. i wanted it to go forever! 2d procedurally generated cat tram sim, take my money…

4. Nate Gallardo says:

That’s bloody lovely.

5. Faxmachinen says:

This is seriously one of the best games I’ve played this year. The mechanics are so simple and yet so satisfying. While you are literally on rails, it feels oddly liberating to have no score or goal or fail state. You can stop or not stop, go forwards or backwards, disembark or return. The game is all it needs to be, and triumphantly so.

6. jroger says:

Why isn’t this on The Flare Path? Tim, watch this Alice character, she’s eyeing suspiciously at your column!

7. sonofsanta says:

Well this was just lovely. A perfect little breath of sea air.

Comment on this story