The Journey Down is now complete, all three chapters released

“Episodic adventure” is a term that, aside from the grisly churn of Telltale’s erratic model, has pretty much been abandoned by the industry. Tried it, didn’t work. And it was especially risky for small indie studios who all discovered, simultaneously, that it takes a really, really long time to make an adventure game, even if you split up the task. Hence the really superb The Journey Down [official site] having its first chapter appear in 2012, its second a hefty two years later in 2014, and now it’s third and final a whopping three years later than that. This was never the plan. But it’s complete! And out now, with a trailer below.

Years-long gaps are clearly a massive risk for something so low profile, and there’s a really good chance that if you enjoyed The Journey Down – which you likely did if you played it – you’re still going to have to remind yourself what it was all about.

It was all about a Jamaican pilot, Bwana, in a dystopian city, stumbling upon a conspiracy involving mega corporations. Together with Kito and Lina, they explode past The Edge, and find adventures in the Underland. And by chapter two, it was all really very splendid. I’ve yet to play the final part, but plan to this week to report my thoughts. In the meantime, here’s the trailer – not entirely sure how great a choice it was to have Gravelly Trailer Man lending perhaps a little too much gravitas, but still, bold move.

The game’s out on Steam and GOG now for £13.50/$18/18€, or you can get it bundled with the first two chapters for £23/$31/31€, all those prices going up by the end of the week.

1. Shazbut says:

Played the first and loved it. Been waiting patiently for this

2. rabidwombat says:

Also available on iOS, apparently. Played the first two on iPads, very good games that I barely remember anything about.

There was a puzzle involving fish.

G-Lord says:

Got my backer copy and played it over the weekend. It’s such a pleasure to play as the game has great vibes. It is on the short and easy side, but I didn’t mind.

4. lancelot says:

What are you talking about… abandoned by whom? Do you mean they’re just not calling it “episodic adventure”? The best adventure games I’ve been playing this year happen to be episodic:
    HIVESWAP: Act 1
    Bear With Me – Episode Two
    Sally Face – Episode Two
    Midnight at the Celestial Palace: Chapter I

Also these two little games:
    Ken Follett’s The Pillars of the Earth
    Life is Strange: Before the Storm

Two that are not that good but nonetheless episodic:
    A Tale of Caos: Overture – Act III
    The Secret Monster Society: Chapter Two

And all those are from this year only.

True about it being a risk with indie developers. I was recommending The Slaughter: Act One and The Song of Seven: Overture to everyone last year, and now those two seem to be in limbo (as well as Bolt Riley, A Reggae Adventure – Chapter 1).

5. zapatapon says:

if you enjoyed The Journey Down – which you likely did if you played it –

I did, and I did. I am generally a cheapskate waiting for sales (probably got the first episode in a bundle or something), but I plan to get this at full price asap.

6. Dominitus says:

Third episode is relatively short and fairly simple, but certainly very enjoyable. It’s going to be a treat for all the people who can now play it as a complete set, all at once.

Comment on this story